“Good location” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #5 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Telford, United Kingdom
“Good location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed for three nights. Checked in early and receptionist was helpful re free parking on road as it was the weekend. She didn't, however tell us how to get to our room so we wandered around trying to find it, and ended up back at reception. You had get lift to 7th floor, get off, walk across a lounge area and then get another lift to 8th floor. Easy if you know how!
The room was warm and cosy with comfy beds and ok pillows and bedding.
Bathroom was large and had a bath with shower over. Towels were plentiful and of good quality.
Had a fridge and tea/coffee. The fridge had beer, pop and wine in it and they tried to charge us for something we hadn't used, but it was easily sorted.
Breakfast was included in our rate and was the best of the three Copthornes we stayed in. Food was hot, of excellent quality and the coffee was made fresh for you instead of the dreaded machines so favoured by others. Tables were cleared quickly and the food area well supervised.
The location is very good, a short walk to town and ideal for a lovely walk by the bay.
If we got the same offer would stay here again.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Ken O, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Wellington Oriental Bay, responded to this review, 2 December 2013
Dear TravellingGirl58 Thank you for your comprehensive review. I hope one day to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (510)
  • Korean first
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 November 2013

I stayed here recently whilst attending a conference at Te Papa. The room was clean & warm so it suited its purpose as I only really needed somewhere to sleep as I was out most of the days. I was a little disappointed there was no bath, as I was soaked to the skin on my first day in Wellington & fancied a nice long soak. My fault, I should have checked the room specs more carefully before booking & can’t blame the hotel for 3 days of torrential rain.
Cons:
• The hotel looks a little tired & perhaps it’s time for a refurbish.
• I couldn’t get dinner in the restaurant as it was fully booked out by an arriving tour party.
• Food at the hotel is very expensive as are the internet rates.
• Entry level rooms are very standard
Pros:
• Very handy to Cuba St & Te Papa
• Nice views of the bay from the hotel
• Staff pleasant & helpful
• Oriental bay in Summer must be a beautiful place to stay
• Bar & lounge area pleasant with lovely views
Would I stay again? – I would probably look elsewhere.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Lesley094
Dear Lesley094 Thank you for your informative review of our hotel. I would love for you to stay again to try our restaurant as the food is well worth it. Please feel free to contact myself if you are returning to Wellington.
Preston, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 November 2013

Everything is extra here - Breakfast, WiFi [which is slow] an asset stripping $25 for 24hours, car parking similarly $25 per night - BUT you can park opposite the hotel on the street for free at weekends.

TV only had a handful of channels
No a/c in the bedroom which was very hot on arrival. Luckily there were big French windows that could be opened wide for cooling, though I dread to think what it would be like in high season.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Dear EGNO Thank you for posting your review of our hotel. Our superior rooms have air con but not our standard rooms and all rooms have opening ranch sliders to welcome in the Wellington wind! I know how it can feel when you walk into a warm hotel room, others have felt the same way but most of our guests have found the benefit of fresh air and a balcony more than compensates.
I apologies that you were unaware of the additional charges for breakfast and valet park these are common in New Zealand.
Betchworth, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

Good location but quite tatty. Also took swipe of our credit card and when we left unbeknownst to us, they kept this and did a new charge for the room ...so we have two charges on our card!! We called and they explained what they had done and that the first charge will be credited back to our card. Three days later and we are still waiting. We have never come across this before and think it is pretty bad form so watch out!

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Belinda C
Dear Belinda C Many thanks for your review. My apologies that there was a issue with your credit card this is an unusual scenario. We have investigated the problem and it seems to be a one off human error.
malibu
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 October 2013

To be clear, this is an excellent hotel with one glaring exception. The rooms are good (I had an outstanding view over the harbor), the restaurant (I only had breakfast) is fine and the bar staff (Thomas in particular) do a great job.

The front desk is where it all topples over. I had a three night stay, coming in from L.A. I requested a 07.30 wake up call on the first morning. It never came. Alarmed because I had a flight at 06.30 this morning, I triple checked that my 04.00 alarm call was on the books. It never came. Fortunately, I had back up. When I enquired (at 05.00) at the front desk about the failure to call, I was met with the (fortunately rare) thick as a plank Kiwi not my problem mate routine.

The foregoing was compensated by then charging my credit card for the accomodation even though my comapny has a direct billing arrangement with the hotel. At 05.00 with a 06.30 flight. this wasn't an argument I was going to win, so I paid.

Bottom line, neither myself or my company will ever use this pathetic excuse for a service oriented hotel again. It's such a shame because the actual service staff are great.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank malibuirishmike
Ken O, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Wellington Oriental Bay, responded to this review, 31 October 2013
Dear Sir Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am disappointed to read your comments as we take great pride in our guest experience. I sincerely apologise that your wake up call did not occur as you requested and our staff attitude was not as expected about this matter. We take wake up calls very seriously and I have investigated how this could have happened and you can be sure we have measures in place to prevent this in the future. It appears that the telephone was unplugged from the wall in your room by mistake and hence didn’t ring. I have discussed this with our team to show the importance of checking each and every detail in our operation. Again my apologies and if you give us a chance in the future to redeem ourselves we will not let you down.
Auckland, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Having frequented other Copthorne Hotels I had made the assumption that the Oriental Bay one would meet the same standards.... not true, and rather disappointing.
Whilst in a great location, close to attractions, the water front and and a short walk to numerous bars and restaurants, once you are past the modern and sleek reception, the rest tends to fail.
I was told I had been "upgraded to superior plus room" which I found to be dated, dark, had an old bed spread and the bathroom had an old-water-smell wafting up from the drain. The hotel was fully booked and I was unable to change rooms.

Having a ranch slider and balcony overlooking the harbour are wonderful... until the wind blows and the poorly sealed and maintained windows start to whistle because of the gaps. Ringing reception to mention this I was told to check my ranch slider by opening and closing it again.... Opening it was not problem but once closed again it wouldn't lock. I rang reception again who informed me to perform a serious of maneuvers including lifting, pulling towards me and yanking the handle upwards to lock it. It worked so this left me wondering how many other people had mentioned the difficulty of being able to close it and the hotel just continues to offer advice on performing maneuvers on the door (which may or may not result in a back injury) rather than just actually fixing the problem door. FYI - this didn't fix the whistling problem so just hope it isn't a windy day if you stay here... given its wellington your odds are stacked against you though.

The indoor pool is tepid at best, definitely not heated. But there are lots of lovely walking options around the hotel.

I would highly recommend using valet parking at this hotel. The main car park is narrow (one long row of parking) and the carparks are angled... easy for parking but very difficult to get out of when the carpark is full and there is no where to turn. Reverse out requires some pretty good navigation skills and hazard dodging. The 2nd carpark is on a vacant lot on the corner opposite the back of this hotel (not actually on hotel property therefore not secure)

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Ken O, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Wellington Oriental Bay, responded to this review, 23 October 2013
Thank you for you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your stay with us. I have inspected many rooms with our maintenance team to access the issue with our ranch sliders. These are all of a modern design and have been fitted with hush glass to reduce noise (and wind) these should function without the need to lift or yank the door. My apologies that you had issues with the ranch slider and the wind noise. If you are returning to Wellington please allow us to redeem ourselves and contact us to stay again, as your experience is not of the standard we expect.
Kawau Island
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

Booked this hotel rather late and as it was Wearable Arts weekend accommodation at a premium. Checkin was very prompt and staff pleasant. Location of the room was great and when I pulled back the curtains the view was stunning, just made my weekend. Room was nicely furnished and contained everything one would want. The room was nice and quiet. Great location for an easy walk into the city and along the waterfront.

Room Tip: If you can afford it stay on the 8th floor overlooking the bay.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank manuka
Ken O, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Wellington Oriental Bay, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear manuka thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased to read you loved the view, it is pretty spectacular. I look forward to welcoming you back in the future.