“Good view”

Copthorne Hotel Wellington Oriental Bay
Ranked #4 of 47 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed 19 December 2013 via mobile

Chose on location and the view is awesome . The rooms were quite cramped feeling, but one of the most comfortable beds I have slept on .in room service was good!
That was about all the good things.
The front staff were not very help full at all, poor local knowledge. They could not even advise on local busses even though the bus stop was next to them. Was not made to feel welcome so a bit of work on staff training would be needed

Stayed: December 2013
Ken O, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Wellington Oriental Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 5 January 2014

Dear Feistyfarmer Thank you for your review and your feedback. I am pleased to learn that you enjoyed our location and view. I have also taken note of your comment in regards to our front desk knowledge, I have spoken with our staff and implemented training to improve in this area immediately. My sincerest apologies that your stay was below par.

Reviewed 18 December 2013 via mobile

Very pleasant returning 3 night stay. Ate in restaurant first night and food was good. Location is a winner and views fantastic. Did not experience a breakfast but all staff friendly and accommodating.

Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Beverley1962642254 Thank you for taking valuable time to give us your feedback. I am pleased to read you enjoyed our Oriental Parade location. I hope you can return soon.

Reviewed 17 December 2013 via mobile

This was my second visit to the hotel which I think is in a great location and has very helpful staff BUT - there's no free wifi in the rooms, which in this day and age is, quite frankly, Stone Age!!!
It seems to be a Copthorne Hotel policy which is outdated & should change seeing as everywhere else in Wellington has free wifi from museums & cafes to the streets themselves! Sort it out Copthorne!

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear SarahJewell Thank you for your review and favourable comments, very much appreciated. I have taken up you comment regarding wifi policy with my team, this is obviously something we must align to our customers expectations.

Reviewed 14 December 2013

I booked my father in for his stay in Wellington on Saturday the 14th (December) 2013. We encountered our first unpleasant experience straight when the front desk person processed the booking. Very unfriendly and seemed to be uncomfortable to serve us. She put us in room 827, which was a room with no AIR CONDITIONING at all. I mean come on, $131 dollar for a room with no air con? Might as well stay at a bamboo hut. The only consolation my dad received was a fan, which my dad thought was ridiculous.

My dad also asked the receptionist to give a wake up call at 2.30 AM so that he can catch his early morning flight, and to book a taxi at 3 AM to the Wellington Airport. None of them were done and instead they told my dad that the room had not been paid for.

WHAT? WHAT WAS THE RECEPTIONIST DOING WITH THE CREDIT CARD WHEN MY DAD CHECKED IN THEN?

Refused to say sorry, and put all the blame on my father. It turned out the receptionist who served my father and I did not keep our booking confirmation that had been previously printed out.

Coming from a culture where the 'face value' and respect are valued the most, an internationally known hotel like this should have done better.

My family and I will never ever stay here again. I have never been this pissed off with a hotel, which I thought would be one of the best in Wellington.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Emirsyah

Dear Emirsyah Thank you for your candid review, my sincere apologies that you had such a poor experience, I have used every word of your review many times to highlight our need for absolute committment to ou guests at every moment during their stay. If you ever return to Wellington please allow us an opportunity to redeem ourselves, contact myself and i will personally guarantee a memorable experience. Kind regards Ken Orr, General Manager.

Reviewed 12 December 2013

This is a functional and basic hotel.
I chose if for the location - a close distance to Courtenay Place - and nice to be on Oriental Bay.
The views from my 'superior room with double bed' were more towards the city than the harbour, but having doors to a narrow balcony was nice. The room itself adequate, although dated in feel.
They will negotiate a late check-out of an extra hour until 11am, after that they have a series of charges which always seems surprising inadequate when checking out on a Sunday.
There is some form of limited free Wi-Fi before they start charging.
The rooms don't include a bath robe, and the supplied toiletries would best be described as budget.
I paid $194 for a night - with an additional fee for paying by credit card.
For me there are better options in this town.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
Ken O, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Wellington Oriental Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 29 December 2013

Dear Colonies Thank you for taking the time to share your views about our hotel and your overall stay. It is disappointing to read your service experience was not as you expected and appeared only okay. I hope you can return one day for us to redeem ourselves with a memorable experience that is outstanding.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Hotel is ideally located to explore Wellington on foot and across the road from Te Papa museum.
Upon arrival we found the hotel to be extremely busy with what appeared to be large coach parties and conference delegates. To our delight we found we had been upgraded to room 711 the business suite which was extremely nice with two large rooms and large bath / shower room. The rooms had kitchen area, dining area, lounge chairs and king size bed. All nicely furnished and maintained with large balcony (albeit a roof access route) overlooking the harbour. Unfortunately we arrived the weekend of 130kph gales so could only admire the lovely view through the glass sliding doors and the rain.
The hotel does seem to be more orientated towards the business traveller or larger party of travellers. Whilst we cannot complain about the room we were allocated the service and staff training could certainly do with some improvement to make one want to return.
As we made our way up to our room on the 7th floor we had to negotiate the bar / restaurant and several conference rooms which were extremely busy. My wife therefore went to the restaurant shortly after we arrived to book a table for dinner for that evening. She was met by the reply "we are full you can either sit in the lounge bar area or have room service" even "sorry we are extremely busy, and the restaurant is fully booked but we can offer you it in the lounge or room service" would have sounded better. My wife returned and with neither of us wanting to eat doubled up in a lounge chair we opted for room service as we had a dining table in the room anyway. Must say the meal was very nice and well presented.
When we went out through reception the following morning my wife was still upset by the way she had been spoken too and that we had been charged room service having had very little option if we wanted to eat in. We explained what had happened to the assist mgr and to his credit he did ask who the member of staff was and refunded the service charge but not before he had reminded us we had a complimentary room upgrade.
We enjoyed our two days in Wellington but did not eat in the hotel thereafter following the previous experience.
As we were going to catch the Interislander ferry early on the Saturday morning we decided to settle our bill on the Friday night. The hotel parking is on the 7th floor so it is immediately accessible from the business suite which made our checking out easier as we could load the car without going down to reception. I loaded the car while my wife went down to hand in the key and check out. As she handed in the key she was met with the response that we had not settled our account. This she disputed and was ready to come all the way back up to meet me as I had the receipt on me when another member of staff who was on reception the previous evening confirmed we had paid and told my wife to go and that it was sorted.
Sadly the staff training and paperwork lets this hotel down. Whilst we were grateful for the upgrade which partly made up for the short comings we cannot recommend for the weary couple likely to get the standard room. OK for business travellers or large parties on a whirlwind itinerary who would probably block book the restaurant anyway.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank D18KRB

Dear D18KRG I read your interesting and comprehensive review with disappointment that we did not get our service standards right during your stay and although the rest of your comments were positive you can rest assured we have discussed your observations and implemented positive change.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

I had a room on the 5 th floor with gorgeous view of the Bay! The room had a well stocked coffee station with a French press. The bedding could be better as the pillows were quite "used". Excellent location, walking distance to a downtown and large grocery store. The restaurant is on the 7th floor and has good selection of red wines and lamb, ostrich dishes on the menu. I had tough time navigating through NZ reds but liked Church Road McDonald edition Syrah . Service was great. Very friendly front desk staff. If u want to work out, ask for a pass to a gym and swimming across the road.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Olga P

Dear Olga P I am pleased to read you enjoyed the view from your room and thank you for your complimentary comments.