“Wellington hotel”

Copthorne Hotel Wellington Oriental Bay
Ranked #4 of 47 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We got a special deal and I understand why. Room was fairly average, dated but clean. Windows faced the windy side and the Wellington weather was performing at it's best, thought the window was gonna come in. Two of us stayed there and they mistakenly charged my credit card for both rooms.

• Stayed: May 2014
Ken O, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Wellington Oriental Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Dear Neil H Many thanks for choosing to stay with us on your weekend in windy Wellington. We have had some hazardous weather recently but I hope you can return in the future to enjoy our hotel and the city when the sun is shining.

Reviewed 23 May 2014

stayed here in April. Amazing views over harbour and excellent staff. restaurant food was great for breakfast as well for dinner. Wifi is expensive, but its a market trend and all the big hotels are charging similar prices. Car par was $26 but with free valet parking service which makes it value for money. will stay here again and recommend.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
Ken O, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Wellington Oriental Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 26 May 2014

Dear smart_cool Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay with us. I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and will return again in the future.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We had a very enjoyable stay at the Copthorne. The staff were really helpful and friendly.
Our room 925 was located on the Vista wing and yes it was a bit of a trip getting there but because of its situation it was a very quiet room. It had a small balcony with an harbour view which was lovely.
We had breakfast and dinner at the hotel, the restaurant has great views over the harbour and we enjoyed the food. Its just a short walk to shops bars ect. The Te Papa museum can be seen from the hotel.
The waterfront area in front of the hotel always has plenty going on and the walk around oriental bay is lovely weather permitting. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Lynn C Thank you for your positive and informative review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to you returning in the future.

Reviewed 18 May 2014

I've stayed at the Copthorne in Oriental Bay before, but this is my first review of this hotel. I enjoyed my stay, and my standard room was very tidy and enjoyable to stay in. Unfortunately it was quite far away from the main entrance to the hotel - I was put in the Vista Wing, which requires you to take one lift, then walk through the restaurant, then another lift to my floor. This was okay, but did take a while to get in and out each time I went anywhere. The location of this hotel is good, but it does take about 15 minutes to walk to the central shopping area (Cuba St/Willis St/Lambton Quay).

My main bug-bear with this hotel is that the wifi is extremely expensive! As I write this, I am staying in a hotel in Brisbane for a similar nightly price which provides free wifi for all guests - what a difference it makes, especially when travelling for business!

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear w3ndytravels thank you for reviewing our hotel. I realise you have many choices when travelling and I appreciate that you have chosen to stay with us previously. Please feel free to contact myself directly for your next stay and I will introduce you to our frequent traveller’s benefits. regards Kenneth Orr General Manager.

Reviewed 13 May 2014

I received a warm smiling welcome at reception - quick assistance with the luggage and parking the car was no problem to the staff.
They recommended several places for morning coffee and I opted for their 7th floor cafe/restaurant/bar. The coffee was wonderful and again, lovely staff and a free paper to enjoy with my coffee.
The room was modern, clean with a king bed as well as a double in a separate area. Plenty of space and well appointed.
I got myself fresh milk from the bar for the room, with no charge.
Quiet room, air con that can be turned off and fab views over the harbour - sliding door opens to small balcony.
Accessible to Wellington central and the lovely walks around the Bay
Will use this hotel for my next trip.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear bren1414 Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel. I am glad that you saw our service and our hotel as a positive. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.

Reviewed 10 May 2014

Haven't stayed here for a few years and booked online. Price NZD$200.00 per night, $25.00 car park and $25.00 for 1g internet except that really 500 mg and .10c per meg until 1g.
Room and location was OK but hotel was 500m walk to Courtney place and about 6.00pm a major weather front came through which ensured there would be no walking into town.
Room service menu very expensive and didn't try. NZD$22.00 for a toasted sandwich. I ordered in delivery food which was very uncomplicated.
Internet very expensive and a number of NZ hotels are offering 1g for 24 hours at NZD$25.00 but you have to pay extra after 500mg usage. Not good compared with current over priced suppliers but super expensive compared with similar priced hotels in Europe and USA where NZ$10-12 buys 24 hours unlimited.
Only complaint is TV channel selection is small and TV had poor reception and major delay in audio on Prime.
Would stay again but if weather is bad you don't have much choice for food unlike other Wellington hotels

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Dear Harry7264 Thank you very much for the feedback, I'm pleased to read you will consider coming back to stay again. I'm sorry to read that the weather kept you locked in the hotel and obviously was interfering with the TV channels. We do have various choices of menu items, from a la carte to room service and a great Tapas menu in the bar. We try to cater for all tastes and budgets where we can. We look forward to welcoming you back again in the future and I will try to organise better weather next time!

Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

The room was ok, and the location good. Of the many places we stayed on a 3 week trip, including another Copthorne, this was the only place to charge for WiFi, which was not cheap. The breakfast was also not cheap, and not enjoyable.

What really soured our stay here, however, was the manager on duty, Omkar. He was incredibly rude in his dealing with us. We had previously asked if we could leave luggage after we checked out as our flight was not until that night. Omkar told us to leave our luggage and he'd put it in a secure place, but in the half an hour we waited for a taxi to pick us up for the day, our luggage was left out in the open for anyone to take. At one point during this time reception was left unmanned. Just before our cab arrived we went and asked politely if they could secure our luggage as there were valuables in it. Omkar looked at me as though I was a total inconvenience, then without saying a word, sulked round to get the luggage. He acted like the request to secure our luggage, even after all that time, was totally unreasonable.

I'm fairly sure I've never left a terrible review before, but this one was well founded. It was an average hotel with unnecessary WiFi charges, ruined by an unprofessional manager, and a far cry from the other Copthorne we stayed in.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends