“Mid week break”

Ranked #4 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Auckland, New Zealand
“Mid week break”
Reviewed 4 June 2014

The hotel is in a great location and the rooms are tidy and presentable. I think the hotel services are a little behind the times and the hotel is more like a 3 star. Some little annoyances included:

- Only offer 20 min free internet in the lobby
- Signs on the in-room safes state that you will be charged if you use them.....
- Poor quality soaps, no conditioner etc
- The TV was quite old and had poor reception - Sky TV equated to 2 sport channels and a movie channel.
- The bed was well used and a bit lumpy

Despite the hotel bing tired/dated it still a great base to see Wellington. As long as you go in with low expectations you will be okay. We have stayed in other central Wellington hotels before and would opt for another hotel next time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Ken O, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Wellington Oriental Bay, responded to this review, 9 June 2014
Dear ckni Many thanks for choosing to stay with us whilst in Wellington. I am pleased you like our location and rooms. I have taking on board your comments and observations about our services and I will review these. There is no charge for our safe, which is odd. After some dreadful weather sky tv was not getting a good reception we have had this investigated by a technician and there are no recurring issues. Don't you love Wellington in a storm! I would love for you to return so we can show you how important our guest service is to our staff. Please feel free to contact me for your next stay in Wellington. Kind regards Ken Orr General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (523)
  • Korean first
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 May 2014

The room had all your needs but the bed was very uncomfortable which gave us a terrible sleep,
location is great with New World supermarket close by plus nice to walk along the water front. Feel they should have a better Wifi deal.

1 Thank Donna9839
Dear Donna983 thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased you found our staff to be nice. I am disappointed to read you did not sleep well. I will review the sleep quality of our beds as it is a high priority for us. Thank you for you comments and I hope you can return in the future.
Invercargill, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 May 2014

We got a special deal and I understand why. Room was fairly average, dated but clean. Windows faced the windy side and the Wellington weather was performing at it's best, thought the window was gonna come in. Two of us stayed there and they mistakenly charged my credit card for both rooms.

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Neil H Many thanks for choosing to stay with us on your weekend in windy Wellington. We have had some hazardous weather recently but I hope you can return in the future to enjoy our hotel and the city when the sun is shining.
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 May 2014

stayed here in April. Amazing views over harbour and excellent staff. restaurant food was great for breakfast as well for dinner. Wifi is expensive, but its a market trend and all the big hotels are charging similar prices. Car par was $26 but with free valet parking service which makes it value for money. will stay here again and recommend.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Ken O, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Wellington Oriental Bay, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear smart_cool Thank you for your review and for choosing to stay with us. I am pleased to read you enjoyed your stay and will return again in the future.
Palmerston North City, Manawatu-Wanganui, New Zealand
Reviewed 20 May 2014

We had a very enjoyable stay at the Copthorne. The staff were really helpful and friendly.
Our room 925 was located on the Vista wing and yes it was a bit of a trip getting there but because of its situation it was a very quiet room. It had a small balcony with an harbour view which was lovely.
We had breakfast and dinner at the hotel, the restaurant has great views over the harbour and we enjoyed the food. Its just a short walk to shops bars ect. The Te Papa museum can be seen from the hotel.
The waterfront area in front of the hotel always has plenty going on and the walk around oriental bay is lovely weather permitting. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Lynn C Thank you for your positive and informative review. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and I look forward to you returning in the future.
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I've stayed at the Copthorne in Oriental Bay before, but this is my first review of this hotel. I enjoyed my stay, and my standard room was very tidy and enjoyable to stay in. Unfortunately it was quite far away from the main entrance to the hotel - I was put in the Vista Wing, which requires you to take one lift, then walk through the restaurant, then another lift to my floor. This was okay, but did take a while to get in and out each time I went anywhere. The location of this hotel is good, but it does take about 15 minutes to walk to the central shopping area (Cuba St/Willis St/Lambton Quay).

My main bug-bear with this hotel is that the wifi is extremely expensive! As I write this, I am staying in a hotel in Brisbane for a similar nightly price which provides free wifi for all guests - what a difference it makes, especially when travelling for business!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
Dear w3ndytravels thank you for reviewing our hotel. I realise you have many choices when travelling and I appreciate that you have chosen to stay with us previously. Please feel free to contact myself directly for your next stay and I will introduce you to our frequent traveller’s benefits. regards Kenneth Orr General Manager.
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Reviewed 13 May 2014

I received a warm smiling welcome at reception - quick assistance with the luggage and parking the car was no problem to the staff.
They recommended several places for morning coffee and I opted for their 7th floor cafe/restaurant/bar. The coffee was wonderful and again, lovely staff and a free paper to enjoy with my coffee.
The room was modern, clean with a king bed as well as a double in a separate area. Plenty of space and well appointed.
I got myself fresh milk from the bar for the room, with no charge.
Quiet room, air con that can be turned off and fab views over the harbour - sliding door opens to small balcony.
Accessible to Wellington central and the lovely walks around the Bay
Will use this hotel for my next trip.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear bren1414 Thank you for taking the time to rate our hotel. I am glad that you saw our service and our hotel as a positive. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the future.