“Nice hotel but Internet is from the stone ages”

Copthorne Hotel Wellington Oriental Bay
Ranked #5 of 47 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed 12 June 2014

Nice hotel and well located. Front desk and bell hops offered excellent service. Rooms are clean with comfortable beds. Pillows leave something to be desired. The hotel pool is very small and over chlorinated. Really needs an uplift. The internet is extremely expensive and is so slow it made me think of the old dial up modems. Certainly not up to snuff to a hotel that assumes a four star rating and certainly not up to copthorne standards.

Room Tip: Harbour facing is the only way to go!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Ken O, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Wellington Oriental Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 23 June 2014

Dear Hanky53 Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. I am pleased to read you rated our staff as excellent. In regards to the pillows, you have prompted us to update our pillow menu with additional options to suit every travellers need. We are reviewing our internet charges so again thank you for your comment regarding this. I hope you enjoyed your trip to the capital.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,641)

Reviewed 11 June 2014

This is a hotel I stay at quite a bit and have always found the staff friendly and willing to help. It’s good to see the senior staff walking around greeting guests.
The rooms are nicely furbished, well cleaned and have a great view of the Wellington harbour. As a business traveller the work desk is good and functional.
Totally recommend for people to stay at this Hotel.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear Brett Once again thank you for choosing to stay with us and your recommendation. We also look forward to welcoming you back to Copthorne Oriental Bay.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

I had one of those wonderful 'once in a lifetime' experiences at the Copthorne. No, George Clooney did not walk in carrying roses.

I ordered a beautiful glass of Laghalun whisky and it was served on a wooden board with whisky rocks, pure water and tongs. I curled up in a huge high backed velvet chair and just watched the clouds come in over Wellington Harbour.

The service was astounding - from the moment I walked in the hotel until the moment I left.

The restaurant dinner I had was beautiful.

My room was lovely with every detail thought of.

I even slept with the curtains open all night so I could see the lights of Wellington.

I note some have complained about the internet charges, however, management has assured me this is being reviewed.

I'll definitely come back.

1  Thank shimmmergirl

Dear shimmmergirl I loved reading your review and the picture you painted of our hotel. The whisky selection and the view to wash it down with are worth commenting on! I hope we can welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 9 June 2014

My daughter and I had a great room with lovely views. Fantastic location close to the happenings on Courtney Place. We walked to the movies and and a play on Ghuznee Street which saved on taxi fares. I thought that the internet charges were unnecessarily high but did not worry us. Great place to stay, would definitely recommend.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Dear djboct1964 Thank you for choosing to stay with us. I am pleased to read of you and your daughter had a great weekend in the capital.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We had a large room with a beautiful close harbour view , from the balcony you could hear the sea.The staff were very friendly and we loved the special offer of breakfast in bed and a late check out. We will be back. We were in Wellington for the jazz festival and the hotel is well sited so you can walk easily to central venue,

Room Tip: Ask for the sea view
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear McBellNewZealand I was pleased to read your review and I am glad you enjoyed your weekend with us. Thank you for choosing Copthorne Oriental Bay, we hope you can return soon for another relaxing weekend.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I have been staying at the Copthorne for a few years now on a regular basis for work. I always feel very welcome and receive great service. The staff are friendly and helpful.
The location is in an ideal location for me to pop into town and waterfront.
I also enjoy access to the local gym.
I confidently recommend friends and collegues to stay at the Copthorne.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear AlisonT3 Many thanks for your review and thank you for your recommendation. I look forward to welcoming you back to your home away from home soon.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

The venue and room were lovely, but the whole experience was marred by the fact that we ended up paying $150 for two days' worth of internet charges, which, for a Hotel with this star rating, is unacceptable. It's time this was reviewed at this Hotel and then the extra charges for other small things, like the use of a credit card for payment and the late check out (one hour past the norm) might just be overlooked.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Dear compbussup Thank you for your review. We are glad you enjoyed our hotel, in regards to our addition charges you can rest assured we have taken your comments on board. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to our hotel in the future.