“Great hotel for the price - excellent location.”

Copthorne Hotel Wellington Oriental Bay
Ranked #5 of 47 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed 12 August 2014

We got a Wotif mystery hotel deal so the price was pretty good. The hotel was generally in very good condition and the staff were super friendly. The location is excellent with everything you could need within a 25min walk. Will definitely look to come back next time.

1  Thank KiwisFloat
Ken O, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Wellington Oriental Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2014

Dear KiwisFloat Many thanks for your review, it is great to hear you enjoyed your mystery stay. I am pleased you plan to return to stay with us in the future.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,640)

Reviewed 12 August 2014

Excellent visit, staff very professional and attentive without being in my face. Food was of the highest quality. I had a harbor view room which gave me a great view of Wellington. All in all a very relaxing stay.

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Ianlines
Ken O, General Manager at Copthorne Hotel Wellington Oriental Bay, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2014

Dear Ianlines Thanks for your positive comments. I am glad you enjoyed a relaxing stay. I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

Upgrade was great, allowing us to have great harbour views.Handy to walkways along the seawall.
Unfortunately we had trouble with our key card on the second day, but staff were helpful. Hotel is close to many downtown restaurants.

Room Tip: Higher floor rooms have better harbour views.
1  Thank Jo W

Dear Jo W Thank you for taking time to post your review. I am pleased to read you enjoyed the upgrade and the harbour view. I look forward to welcoming you back again in the future.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

all the points I would make - Jackie B already did - hotel was ok, but nothing too special - needed to ask for sleepers to go to the pool, they did find them for us at the end. Our key did not let us to the pool - they had problems with it at the time. also when we had diner - table with the view, but next to the conference room, which was opened most of the time while we were eating - people coming out than stuff cleaning it.... not really the best thing to have while you eating. .. however meal was nice - good shef ;-)

Room Tip: we had room by the lift - i would not choose this one again
1  Thank Jasmina R

Dear Jasmina R Thank you for posting your review. I am disappointed we did not exceed your expectations and we were nothing special. Our staff have read your comments and will ensure we make changes to improve upon all of our guests experiences. I hope you can return and give us the opportunity to WOW you in the future.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

When the cold wet winter weather was getting us down, we escaped to Wellington for the weekend to catch up with a couple of movies, visit Te Papa, and chose to stay at the Copthorne Hotel, Oriental Bay with fantastic harbour and city views.

Pleasantly surprised by an upgrade to a suite on the top floor.

The restaurant is relaxing with great views, our accommodation included an excellent buffet breakfast.

Service was excellent, the restaurant staff, attentive while respecting our dining experience.

Walking distance to the city, secure parking available on site.

Room Tip: Definitely get a room with a view.
1  Thank NZ_Travellers49

Dear NZ_Travellers49 Thank you for your positive feedback on your weekend stay with us. I was pleased to read you enjoyed your restaurant experience at One80 and your upgrade, which is always a treat. I hope you can return in the future for another weekend escape to the capital.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

The Copthorne Hotel has been my home away from home of late due to needing to be in Wellington for 3 days a week (or fortnight) for work since April.

The hotel is very handily located 5 minutes walk from the dining and drinking hotspots of Courtney Place and is in an absolute waterfront situation on Oriental Bay among the million dollar waterfront properties of Wellington CBD. There is a New World supermarket about 3 minutes walk away which is also handy for longer stays.

Others have commented that the accommodation here is nothing beyond average and I agree that the hotel doesn't offer the height of luxury accommodation that 5 star hotels in Asia etc do BUT, the accommodation in the Copthorne is certainly above adequate and is very comfortable. Having stayed at the hotel a minimum of once a fortnight for four months and with the numerous complimentary upgrades I have received from the hotel, I am sure I have stayed in every room type. The accommodation has never once failed to meet my expectations of a good class of business or leisure. The rooms on the front of the hotel have spectacular harbour views, and the Wellington skyline can really treat spectators at sun rise and sunset.

Again, due to the frequency of my stays, I have had the opportunity to make use of all of the hotel facilities. The pool is small but functional and there is no gym on site. This could seem like a negative, however the Copthorne hotel has a membership with the Fryeburg pools and gym 200 meters away which has a fully equipped gym, Olympic length swimming pool, spas, sauna and steam room. I have found this invaluable over the past few months.

The One80 restaurant is a bit pricey but has lovely views and service as does the bar. Food is of a high quality and this is reflected in the room service menu and quality of food delivered to your room. The complimentary wine or beer in the bar offered to returning guests is a very nice and much appreciated touch.

The thing for me that sets this hotel apart from any other is the professional but extremely friendly service provided by all staff members. From the front office staff to the porters, to the restaurant and bar staff and the morning barista, the service is excellent. I have felt extremely welcomed by all of the staff and now my travel to Wellington has largely come to an end I will miss the service and banter provided by all members of the Copthorne Crew. Many thanks to all of the staff!

Would I stay at the Copthorne out of choice? definitely, in fact, I am looking forward to staying at the Copthorne as soon as I can plan a weekend away to be a tourist in Wellington for a change.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front of the hotel have fabulous views but the little balcony can be very blustery on a...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank AmandaW123

Dear AmandaW123 Wow! Thank you for a great and informative review of all things Copthorne Hotel Oriental Bay. I am pleased that you have enjoyed your last few months staying with us and the staff will be sad not to see you again so regularly. We all look forward to you returning to enjoy the capital as a tourist.

Reviewed 11 August 2014

While I just spent one night here I really appreciated the easy access to Te Papa where I was attending a conference. I was sharing a room with a friend and we thought the double room was great. I was just expecting a king bed separated into two singles so we were rapt with the queen & double beds in their own separate spaces. Lovely views from room, and in bar area also.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled on business

Dear Lisa S Many thanks for your review I am glad you enjoyed the twin room set up and the convenience to Te Papa. I hope you can return for a longer stay in the future and take more photos of the harbour to share.