“Great View”

Ranked #4 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
New Zealand
“Great View”
Reviewed 26 August 2009

To be fair I have given the positive first and THEN the negative! The service was good. The rooms are on the small side, but well set out with the children`s 2 single beds on one side of the bathroom and the main bedroom on the other side with a balcony. The bar lounge has an adjacent outside area with a really good view of the Bay where you can have a ciggy with your drink if you wish, which my husband appreciated!

MY MAJOR GRIPE:
We PRE-PAID for bed and breakfast - The Kids n All Package .
I QUOTE: Open for Breakfast from 6.30AM until 10am weekdays and until 11am on weekends; and Dinner from 6pm until 11pm daily.

Because we had to leave early Saturday morning to catch the first ferry, we missed out on having our breakfast because we were told that breaky didn`t start at 6.30am as normal and would not open until later on a Saturday and Sunday. Not ONCE was I told this when making the booking or was it stated on the website. When we tried to see if we could maybe get something for dinner instead (since we paid for it) they would not budge. My husband went down to see what we could arrange for the children and they were not helpful AT ALL. It seemed they were uninterested that we had paid for a package deal and then would not receive it. It would have been nice to know about the breakfast time changing on the weekends. As it was, we paid for bed and breakfast that we did not get and THEN had to pay AGAIN for our breakfast on the Ferry because of this!!! NOT HAPPY. Really spoiled our mood and what could have been top marks for this hotel.

NOTE TO MANAGER: PLEASE look after your clients a bit better than this!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with family
2 Thank liliz

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (526)
  • Korean first
South Island
Reviewed 23 August 2009

I am familiar with MCQ hotels so I had expectations. On arrival only one person behind the desk. I got the impression my business wasn't that important. Check in was fast but directions to our room were less than helpful and we had to return to reception to get more details. We were asked if we had a car that we needed parked, which we did. No offer of help with bags though. The room was nice, warm, and clean. Very small bathroom but good shower. We ate in the resturant which was okay. The waitress was very attentive. On check out I was asked if I wanted a porter to get our car, which we did, but again no offer with our bags on departure. I watched an older women arrive and struggle with her bag, no porter to be seen. Would have helped her myself if I wasn't strugglng with my own. The front desk seemed to have a good view of the driveway and 4+ star hotels usually have good porter service, his hotel did not. I would recommend this hotel because of its location, nice rooms and maybe the porter service was a one off issue.

1 Thank MrsTails
GemmaFleetwood
Reviewed 13 August 2009

Before staying at the Copthorne Hotel Wellington Oriental Bay, i have done a bin of training in the Millennium hotel Queensgate with is part of the MCK chain. I assumed that the hotel would look very generic and be boring. However to my suprise the hotel room was amazing and very up to date with technology, and the furnishings were all very new. i found that the receptionist ws very help fully and knowledgeable (though i am originally from wellington so i didnt ask the typical questions about wellington) Hotel was easy to find and in the weekend the street parking is free so we jst found a park outside the hotel. the restaurant has an amazing view and the breakfast buffet looks and tasted good, we did request a paper in the morning and wasnt happy when recieving a tiny little magazine thing... where is the New Zealand herald i ask? or the sunday times???
Overall the stay was nice and staff were friendly and helpful when needed

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Adelaide, South Australia
Reviewed 3 August 2009

We checked in here after a long drive from Rotorua via Waitomo, and it was already dark and raining on our way into Wellington. We found the hotel relatively easy from the Wellington Motorway. After unpacking our suitcases from the car, I left my partner with the bags while the staff member told me where to find the hotel's car park. It surprised me that I needed to drive about 0.5km down the main road, turn left at the second set of traffic lights, and then travel up this steep side street to find the hotel's car park. When I did eventually find it, the car park was around the back of the hotel, and you had to enter via a very narrow driveway. At around 6pm there were probably only 2 car parks left, and at barely 2m wide, the majority of cars would have had tremedous difficulty opening their doors. Then started the fun bit - finding my way back to reception where my partner was waiting with the bags. It turns out that, due to the hilly terrain of Wellington, I had actually driven up to the equivalent of level 7. But it wasn't really obvious when you enter the car park, as you are as ground level for that part of the hill. There are also 2 sets of lifts located in separate lift cores. One lift goes from level 7 to level 10 only. The other (main) set of lifts have opening doors on 2 sides, and go from ground floor to level 8. So you can transfer lifts at either level 7 or level 8. After entering the wrong set of lifts and being completely confused, I eventually asked someone serving at the bar on level 7 where reception was, and he pointed me in the right direction. I think all of this could be avoided if say, when you are checking in, the staff provide you with a "mud map" to the car park, with directions that, once parked, you will be on level 7 and how to get back to reception.
Apart from this, the hotel was clean and quiet. The rooms were modern and had adequate heating (something badly lacking in Auckland). The views from our balcony were breathtaking. The hotel itself is located about a 10 minute walk from the main street of Wellington where there are many restaurants to choose from. I would highly recommened this hotel to anyone.

1 Thank MalcolmYoung
auckland
Reviewed 20 July 2009

stunning room, we stayed in a suite room on the top floor, most expensive room but definately worth it, had the best view and a lovely bath, bed size is huge, room size is huge. staff friendly and down to earth. great value and awesome location, short stroll to city center. best hotel stay ever!

1 Thank booaza
Lower Hutt, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 May 2009

What can I say!

Ditto for everything positive that has been said already.

Nicely refurbished, quiet, comfy and good carparking.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled solo
1 Thank CarolynWellingtonNZ
Utrecht
Reviewed 21 May 2009

The hotel was in a nice central spot, near to the musem, theathres etc.

It was nice clean and well managed. The people are friendly and will help you with luggage, taxi's etc.

I had a room with a few of teh harbour, a little bit more expensive but worth it!!

Stayed May 2009, travelled solo