“Ok for one night”

Ranked #37 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Ok for one night”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

Spent one night jere on a business trip. Place is old and tired but room clean, Location is great easy walk into town or along Oriental Parade. Fortunately Fire Staion next door was closed for seismic strengthening. Was a bit expensive for a small room with minute bathroom, but Wellington was very busy that weekend and accomodation in short supply.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Bay Plaza H, General Manager at Bay Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 1 November 2013
Good afternoon Richard
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Bay Plaza Hotel. I am disappointed that the hotel did not live up to your expectations.
Once again thank you for your feedback.
Eileen

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Waitara
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed overnight. Room is okay but had a strong ammonia smell and the taps are leaking plus I had no milk in room to make a hot drink. Just recently returned from Bali where I had enjoyed a lamb medallion meal for $9. Thought I'd try a similar offering on menu in restaurant which was pricey at $30. Given that the waitress never asked me how I would like my meat cooked I was pleasantly surprised it came out how I liked but with the cutlery I had was still hard to cut. I had garlic bread for entree which was basically rolls lavished with garlic butter and herbs, not that great and after returning to my room with my desert i didnt bother to finish it. Given I'd come back to the hotel to have a quiet night rather than attend my conference dinner I feel I
probably should've gone and saved money. On the whole in terms of value and taste for my dinner i would rate at 4/10. Another bug bear was the analog tv not something you'd
expect to see in a capital city hotel. Even worse I had a very noisy room especially with people moving around their own rooms and in the corridor plus could hear shower being used in adjoining room. Next time my organisation books my accom I will ensure its not back here.

• Stayed October 2013
Good afternoon,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Bay Plaza Hotel.
We appreciate that you took the time to leave this comment It will certainly help other travelers choose our mid-range value for money hotel in the heart of Wellington, with great views and handy location.

Regards Eileen
Wanaka
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 September 2013

Try to get a high floor as the views are wonderful. You are so close to everything at the fun end of town. Restaurants, bars, cafes, theatres and shops are all an easy walk, and the waterfront is just over the road. I would definitely stay again.
[The tvs are analogue so could do with upgrading]

Room Tip: Go high! Rm 1101 is awesome
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Bay Plaza H, General Manager at Bay Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 8 September 2013
Good afternoon,
Thank you for your excellent feedback regarding your recent stay at the Bay Plaza Hotel.
We are fortunate to have a fantastic central city location and rooms with stunning views. Yes our location is at the action end of the city with the harbour and entertainment within 5 minutes walk.
We have a great team at the Bay Plaza and it is great to read all your needs were met.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Bay Plaza Hotel when you next visit Wellington city.
Auckland New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2013

I found the location of this hotel probably the best of all the hotels I have stayed in in Wellington, the rooms were very tidy and clean, service was very good and the view was lovely. We woke up to the sun shining in our window each morning and our overall experience was extremely pleasant. We did not eat in the dining room or use any of the amenities, however we found our experience excellent, the car parking extremely convenient, value very good and would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank babyboomer2ndOE
Bay Plaza H, General Manager at Bay Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 28 August 2013
Palmerston North, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 August 2013

This hotel is nothing flash but offers excellent value with a fab view and location. We were going to a function around the bay so for us this was this was some where nearby. This hotel also has plenty of car parking. We looked at a few other places on line but none could get any where near this for value. We booked there bed and breakfast package as it was such a good price. Check in was nice and simple. The room was a decent size but dated, although every thing worked and was clean and tidy. The room also contained everything we needed. The bed was comfortable and considering how close to the city this is there was very little noise. We had a couple of drinks at there happy hour before going out. Breakfast was just great. Cereal, toast, and bacon and eggs. Check out was easy and all priced as quoted.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a harbour view.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Bay Plaza H, General Manager at Bay Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 20 August 2013
Good afternoon Philip

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Bay Plaza Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.
We are fortunate to have a great central city location, with excellent views, and we look forward to welcoming you again as a guest at the Bay Plaza Hotel when you next visit Wellington city.
Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2013

I booked a room here once I'd filled out a 'Stay 10 Get One Free' card, so because I paid nothing for my stay my review should be read in this light. Limited nights were available - the weekdays were mostly off-limits. The hotel is old as others have said, but room and bathroom were clean, it was nice to look out on Wellington city from a higher floor, and a range of room facilities were provided. One of the staff in particular was helpful when I woke up to a flat tyre on my car. A generally comfortable wee getaway. Can't really complain when you get the night for nothing!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Bay Plaza H, General Manager at Bay Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 5 August 2013
Good afternoon,
Thank you for taking valuable time to give us your feedback. We are pleased to learn that you've had an enjoyable time with us and that you found the location and facilities to your liking.
We look forward to another opportunity to welcoming you again soon to the Bay Plaza Hotel. Please contact us directly on our website and we will take care of your reservation personally.

New Plymouth, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2013

Excellent location, with great views of Oriental Bay and Wellington CBD, directly behind large New World supermarket and adjacent to the entrance of Courtney Place.
Hotel has had a facelift in the bedrooms but would benefit from a more in depth refurb.
Prices for accommodation is fair and as an additional bonus Receptionist offered on checking in a reduced price full breakfast. This makes the overnight stay with breakfast very good value.
The stand out features that would have me rebook are the exceptionally welcoming and friendly staff, who offered assistance with sight seeing, map provision and suggestions for eating out. In addition the location, price and cleanliness of the bedrooms.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Good afternoon,
Thank you for this fantastic feedback. Our guests often tell us how helpful it is to read past guests' reviews before booking their own visits. I am sure your review will encourage them to stay at Bay Plaza Hotel Wellington!
Thank you again for sharing your experience with us and I look forward to welcoming you again soon, to our central Wellington hotel.