“Very good value all round, great staff”
Review of Bay Plaza Hotel

Bay Plaza Hotel
Ranked #39 of 47 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Stayed 3 nights, room was more than adequate if a little tired, spotlessly clean and the most comfortable hotel mattress I've encountered in NZ - it really does make a difference. Don't be put off by the hotel entrance. Reception, bar and wait staff all very helpful without exception. The meals were to an exceptionally good restaurant standard & very reasonably priced for Wellington. Found the location really good - view of the harbour, short stroll to Te Papa, but also very close to Courtney Place & cafes/other restaurants. At $100-$115 per night, it was very reasonable for the heart of Wgtn. Our group will be back for sure, a real find.

Room Tip: 3rd floor is great
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Bay Plaza H, General Manager at Bay Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2013

Good afternoon Ellie
We very much appreciate your positive comments regarding your stay at the Bay Plaza Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. We have a great team in the kitchen, so it is great to see you enjoyed your dinning experience. We replaced all the queen beds this winter, so it is pleasing to read the comment about the bed.
We are fortunate to have a great central city location, with excellent views, and we look forward to welcoming you again as a guest at the Bay Plaza Hotel when you next visit Wellington city.

Reviewed 13 October 2013

Stayed overnight on the 11th floor. Room was smallish, but had a great view. Also had 2 chairs with a table in between, as well as a larger desk/table with power points and table lamp so enough room to spread out your stuff. Inside the wardrobe was a large safe by hotel standards, that was no extra charge - it easily fitted an ipad. On top of the 3 drawers are the coffee and tea making facilities. I rang the front desk for fresh milk as per the notice, and they brought it up right away. The bathroom was pleasantly large enough and was very clean with a good shower over the bath. Had really great thick soft white towels and nice soap. The bed and pillows were also very comfortable. The reception staff were very friendly and helpful as were the cleaning staff I saw. Yes it is an older hotel but it is a good location and clean, and if the rate if right and you don't need a big modern hotel room, then it is a good choice.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Fi0na_NZ

Good afternoon Fiona
Thank you for your excellent feedback regarding your recent stay at the Bay Plaza Hotel.
We have a great team at the Bay Plaza and it is great to read all your needs were met.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Bay Plaza Hotel when you next visit Wellington city.

Reviewed 7 October 2013

Spent one night jere on a business trip. Place is old and tired but room clean, Location is great easy walk into town or along Oriental Parade. Fortunately Fire Staion next door was closed for seismic strengthening. Was a bit expensive for a small room with minute bathroom, but Wellington was very busy that weekend and accomodation in short supply.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Good afternoon Richard
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at the Bay Plaza Hotel. I am disappointed that the hotel did not live up to your expectations.
Once again thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 1 October 2013 via mobile

Stayed overnight. Room is okay but had a strong ammonia smell and the taps are leaking plus I had no milk in room to make a hot drink. Just recently returned from Bali where I had enjoyed a lamb medallion meal for $9. Thought I'd try a similar offering on menu in restaurant which was pricey at $30. Given that the waitress never asked me how I would like my meat cooked I was pleasantly surprised it came out how I liked but with the cutlery I had was still hard to cut. I had garlic bread for entree which was basically rolls lavished with garlic butter and herbs, not that great and after returning to my room with my desert i didnt bother to finish it. Given I'd come back to the hotel to have a quiet night rather than attend my conference dinner I feel I
probably should've gone and saved money. On the whole in terms of value and taste for my dinner i would rate at 4/10. Another bug bear was the analog tv not something you'd
expect to see in a capital city hotel. Even worse I had a very noisy room especially with people moving around their own rooms and in the corridor plus could hear shower being used in adjoining room. Next time my organisation books my accom I will ensure its not back here.

• Stayed: October 2013

Good afternoon,

Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay with us at Bay Plaza Hotel.
We appreciate that you took the time to leave this comment It will certainly help other travelers choose our mid-range value for money hotel in the heart of Wellington, with great views and handy location.

Regards Eileen

Reviewed 4 September 2013

Try to get a high floor as the views are wonderful. You are so close to everything at the fun end of town. Restaurants, bars, cafes, theatres and shops are all an easy walk, and the waterfront is just over the road. I would definitely stay again.
[The tvs are analogue so could do with upgrading]

Room Tip: Go high! Rm 1101 is awesome
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Bay Plaza H, General Manager at Bay Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2013

Good afternoon,
We are fortunate to have a fantastic central city location and rooms with stunning views. Yes our location is at the action end of the city with the harbour and entertainment within 5 minutes walk.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

I found the location of this hotel probably the best of all the hotels I have stayed in in Wellington, the rooms were very tidy and clean, service was very good and the view was lovely. We woke up to the sun shining in our window each morning and our overall experience was extremely pleasant. We did not eat in the dining room or use any of the amenities, however we found our experience excellent, the car parking extremely convenient, value very good and would not hesitate to stay here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank babyboomer2ndOE
Bay Plaza H, General Manager at Bay Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2013

Reviewed 17 August 2013

This hotel is nothing flash but offers excellent value with a fab view and location. We were going to a function around the bay so for us this was this was some where nearby. This hotel also has plenty of car parking. We looked at a few other places on line but none could get any where near this for value. We booked there bed and breakfast package as it was such a good price. Check in was nice and simple. The room was a decent size but dated, although every thing worked and was clean and tidy. The room also contained everything we needed. The bed was comfortable and considering how close to the city this is there was very little noise. We had a couple of drinks at there happy hour before going out. Breakfast was just great. Cereal, toast, and bacon and eggs. Check out was easy and all priced as quoted.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a harbour view.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Bay Plaza H, General Manager at Bay Plaza Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 August 2013

Good afternoon Philip

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Bay Plaza Hotel. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services.