“Great location and value” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Thorndon Hotel Wellington by Rydges

The Thorndon Hotel Wellington by Rydges
Ranked #33 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Hamilton, New Zealand
“Great location and value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 January 2014

My partner and I stayed here on a recent trip to Wellington and thought it was ok - I'd probably give the hotel itself a 3.5 stars. We got a great deal for two nights on Wotif which included free buffet breakfast and free Wifi which was fantastic value. The hotel is in a great location, really close to town and Cuba Street and within walking distance to a supermarket and lots of cafes. The hotel is quite old and dated (actual keys instead of key cards, stainless steel shower bottom); however, it was clean and had all the basic amenities. The staff were all really friendly and happy to help with calling cabs. The bed was comfy but the pillows were a bit soft. The buffet breakfast was great and there was quite a good selection available.

We would probably stay here again if we were to get another great deal.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JaimeNZ1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Korean first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

The hotel itself was fine, but we lucked out with the bed in our room which was far too soft for us. On the other hand, the breakfast was fantastic. I would be cautious about booking here again, but I did get the room on a special deal so our experience might be an isolated incident.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
wellingtonhotels, General Manager at The Thorndon Hotel Wellington by Rydges, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
Dear MattandAmber,

Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor and we are glad that you enjoyed your breakfast experience. With regards to the bed being too soft for your liking, if you contact me directly at gm@kingsgatewellington.co.nz when you are staying next I will provide you a room with an recently replaced bed which is of a firmer variety.

Thank you again for your feedback.

Kind Regards
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2014

Stayed here before earlier in year. Brilliant value. Room good size and location excellent, v easy if got car to go onto the State Highways, easy to go round suburbs of Wellington and within walking distance of Central city, botanic gardens, museums and art galleries. Also the best shower had on trip. Easy to gauge a temperature and you can move and direct nozzle, perfect for a petite person who hates getting their face soaked!
Breakfast was 15 NZ dollars at the weekend and it filled us up till tea time!
Our room was opposite the lift too, but we were NOT disturbed!

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Norirelib,

Thank you for posting your comments on Tripadvisor. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Wellington, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2014

Me and my partner stayed at Kingsgate from the 31st of December to the 2nd of January. A massive improvement from my last stay there, I was very impressed!
Jeff (manager) went out of his way to ensure the issues that occurred last time were remedied, which was much appreciated.
We were checked in by Amy, who was lovely and professional. Only issue there was I think taking $50 from the credit card in case of incidentals is not necessary. I also work in a hotel and we don't do that, so I'm not sure why it's done. Anyway, we found our room lovely with a beautiful view, and the bed was fantastic, so soft and comfortable. The bathroom was fairly spacious, but in other rooms of the same type I've stayed in there has been a better shower, so I guess it's luck of the draw. It was still good, I've just had really fantastic showers in other rooms. Cleanliness was also pretty good, but one issue being we found someone elses straw with an umbrella on it in the draw, but that's minor. Housekeeping team is lovely, especially the blonde girl. Really lovely and considerate. Room was very quiet, only noise was from the wind, but I requested a high floor so that can be expected. Breakfast was great, wide range of food. The scrambled eggs were especially of a very high quality, yum! Plenty of different teas, toasts, spreads, cereals, fruits, and cooked items. Only problem there was at one stage it ran out of croissants and danishes and they were not replenished. That wasn't the hotel's fault though, there were heaps there and they weren't to know that a man came along and piled his plate with all of them(!) and then didn't eat them. We ordered room service on our last night. I had the nachos (made vegetarian) and they were very nice but a fairly small portion..Still really enjoyed it. My partner had the fish and the batter was very undercooked, but we mentioned this and it was taken off the bill which was appreciated and made up for it. We checked out and appreciated the luggage storage facility. In all, thank you Jeff for going to all the trouble to make sure we enjoyed our stay :)

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank JimL1313
Dear Kitten556,

Thank you for posting detailed and well thought out feedback on Tripadvisor. It is refreshing to see that you were willing to post positive feedback after the hotel made improvements on your last stay. Thank you again and we hope to see you back at the hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards
Saitama, Japan
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 December 2013

Booked in on Christmas Day off the Interislander, wonderful hotel, highly recommend, had room service dinner with bottle of wine, selection of wine could be better and also the pricing for the bottle of wine could be wound back, absolutely spotless, wonderful nights sleep

Room Tip: get a room over looking Parliament great view at night
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Satosan
Dear Satosan,

Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor. It is pleasing that you had a positive experience at the hotel. We also appreciate the comments about the wine lst and we will review them when making changes in the future.

Wellington, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2013

Stayed two nights at the Kingsgate Wellington last week. We enjoyed all aspects of the Hotel especially the clean rooms and the great food in the restaurant.

This is tucked away but easily accessible from the motorway.

Restaurant especially the dinner is a hidden gem in Wellington

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Warnie125
Auckland, New Zealand
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 November 2013 via mobile

My standards when it comes to hotels are very low. But I am lying in my room now and have just signed up to trip advisor to express the disgust I have in this hotel. I have now had 2 disappointing dinners in a row. The first was a "decent stack of ribs" where I got served 4 very small ribs. Tonight I was served a ham and pineapple pizza that smelt and tasted so sweet I couldn't even finish it. I didn't know it was possible to mess up a ham and pineapple pizza. When I sent back the pizza I was told by the chef there was nothing wrong with the quality of the pizza. The service in the restaurant and bar is terrible and invasive at first then drops off to nothing. The rooms smell and seriously lack ventilation. The two good things about this place are the aioli and the tuatara beer. This is an overpriced and dated hotel with an absolutely terrible restaurant. It's do far away from anything you can't even go eat anywhere else.

Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank plmarsh
wellingtonhotels, General Manager at The Thorndon Hotel Wellington by Rydges, responded to this review, 28 November 2013
Dear plmarsh,

Firstly thank you for your comments and apologies that the level of service and quality of food did not meet your expectations. We do get quite good feedback about the hotel restaurant from a lot of our guests that stay in many hotels and dine at many restaurants around the country. I am unsure why the food and service was not up to the usual standard and I will address these concerns with the relevant persons. Certainly the situation could have been handled better.

With regards to the room I am unaware of the smell referred to but certainly this could have been addressed or we could have offered a room move. Reading about lack of ventilation I find a little surprising as all rooms have opening windows.

In reference to your comments about being overpriced, the hotel recently has been ranked by consumer sentiment as being the best value hotel in Wellington. The day of travel and the week of travel is one of the busiest of the year and travelling on such days will attract a premium but is not to dissimilar to hotels in this star range.

Finally while the hotel is not in the middle of the CBD, there is a range of at least four pubs and six restaurants within a five minute stroll. So I think this comment is a little unreasonable and I am sure that the hotel staff could have directed you to one of these establishments if requested.
Plmarsh I apologise again and as a guesture of goodwill I am happy to buy you dinner at the hotel next time you come to Wellington.

Jeff Hermes

Travellers are raving about these Wellington hotels