“Excellent Service”

Ranked #34 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Christchurch
“Excellent Service”
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I had the opportunity of staying overnight at this Hotel. The room was great no problems or issues.
I decided to dine at their Glasshouse Restaurant andI must admit the service in particular was EXCELLENT. I was served and waited upon Tess / Tessa? I was most impressed by her confidence, friendliness, attention to detail and engaging manner. The meal was lovely and the service even better!!! Congratulations Tess. If I was to visit again I would certainly dine at this Restaurant and hopefully be served by you. She was georgeous!! Thank you. It is people like you who make dining out such a wonderful experience - beyond just the food.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Korean first
Picton, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 July 2014

Room was dirty : dusty, spoon with coffee on it from previous customer, wine glasses absolutely dirty with fat finger print,alarm set on at midnight just unbelievable...
But the best is the staff. The recepionist who "welcomed" us was quite busy talking with other staff in restaurant while we were struggling with our luggages and prem, she made absolutely no effort to be understood as we are foreigners. It has been a battle to book a taxi through her.
Just after the room clock rang at midnight, i went to the reception, no one. Had to go to restaurant and here worse attitude in hospitality, this person talk to me down witj such an arrogant face, coulfnt believe it! He called thr reveptionist who finally came and he just talk back to me as if i was botherong hom and was the responsible of all the problems, of course without apologies.
Hospitality in this hotel is just a joke, better go in a backpa ler.

• Stayed July 2014

Travellers are raving about these Wellington hotels

Tauranga, New Zealand
Reviewed 23 July 2014

My partner and i stayed two nights last weekend and found the facilities to be perfect for us. Huge bathroom with a wet area shower which is really helpful when you're in a wheelchair. Very comfy bed too. The staff were extremely helpful. Will definitely stay here again should we venture to Wellington again.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 19 July 2014

After my first visit a couple of years ago, I said I'd be back, and have been, three or four times. I quite like this part of Wellington - my work often takes me to the National library, so am getting to know it quite well. There are nice cafes, an excellent supermarket and more civil servants than I quite know what to do with. I feel almost at home at the Kingsgate.

My last review complained about the internet - this has been fixed and I even had a deal for free internet, which was great. Room is on the cosy side, but it has everything I need. This time round, I used the restaurant for dinner and breakfast. The latter was the standard sort of thing, but I found my dinner to be really good.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
wellingtonhotels, General Manager at The Thorndon Hotel Wellington by Rydges, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Dear NZBarry,

Thank you for your recent contribution on Tripadvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and have noticed some improvements within the hotel.

If I can do anything to make your next stay more enjoyable than please contact me directly at gm@kingsgatewellington.co.nz.

Kind Regards
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 July 2014

My wife and I did a little road trip of the lower North Island ending up in Wellington on a Sunday. Found a deal on WOTIF. Yes room not a new modern flash hotel room. But was clean and had very thing we needed. Good shower and a good 32cm TV. Good quiet nights sleep. room rate included a breakfast which was better than expected. Hotel easy walk to city and Parliament etc. Being Sunday had free parking on the street until 8am then we just moved it onto a meter for a few hours.We had a evening meal in the restaurant with a wine, again the hotel had a sweetener for a us 20 per cent off. Yes enjoyed the meal also. Overall we gave out nights stay a 9 out of 10 and yes we would stay again. I could sum it up as good value for the money.

P

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
wellingtonhotels, General Manager at The Thorndon Hotel Wellington by Rydges, responded to this review, 7 July 2014
Dear NZ2.

Thank you for your recent feedback on Tripadvisor. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and
found it to be value for money. We hope you stay again on your next visit to Wellington.

Regards
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Got a good deal for a night here on grabone - was perfect location for attending a function at a friend's place in Thorndon. Would also be great location for the stadium.
Very small room - pretty standard for hotels now, comfortable bed. Cracks in bathroom sink make it look dirty and could do with being replaced.
Breakfast was included in our deal - buffet was fairly standard - the usual hot options which were good, a selection of cereals, only bread left by the toaster- not sure if they had pastries or anything else earlier and only apricot jam left in the spreads. Coffee from the coffee machine was disgusting- not worth joining the queue to make it - I've had better instant!
Overall it was fine for what we paid for it. Would be a good option for attending something at the stadium and you just needed a bed for the night.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 June 2014

Being a Wellington resident I'd often wondered about staying here but it didnt make sense while I lived there. House sold though and one last night before driving north was my opportunity. It was great, the staff were very helpful. The room though simple was all we needed. I booked online and benefited from a deal which gave free unlimited wi-fi for our stay.
New World supermarket just a couple of minutes walk if you need a snack - and didnt want room service which I must say looked very tempting. Next to the supermarket is Starfish Fish & Chips. YUM. Or you are close enough to town to experience many other restaurants,
Would definitely stay again.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
wellingtonhotels, General Manager at The Thorndon Hotel Wellington by Rydges, responded to this review, 29 June 2014
Dear kiwi_choccie_11,

Thank you for your feedback on Tripadvisor. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay
and found the location convenient.

If you are leaving Wellington we wish you all the best with your future endeavors and hope to see you on your next trip to the capital.

Regards