Mercure Wellington Central City Hotel and Apartments
  • Bar/Lounge
US$199
US$149
  • Restaurant
Travelodge Hotel Wellington(Wellington)(Great Value!)
US$74
US$70
Orbitz.com
  • Room Service
The Cambridge Hotel(Wellington)(Great Value!)
US$65
US$54
  • Restaurant
All reviewssister hotelgreat locationone bedroom apartmentcentral cityabel tasmanshort stayte papasmall kitchenetteeasy walkan upgradehandy locationwould stay againcar parkingharbourtoasterheatingcafes
Reviewed 7 September 2013

We stayed here for a weekend recently when in Wellington watching the All Blacks play.

I am not going to comment on price as given it was a rugby weekend it was dearer than what I imagine would normally be paid so that is not really relevant.

Other times when we have stayed in Wellington we have stayed at the Westpac Stadium end of town. So staying here was a first for us.

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Although the apartment was on the small side it had a wee kitchenette which was very useful for us. I do not think they all have kitchenettes so it is worth asking. Maybe that takes away on living space though and it did mean the living area tv was in sort of an odd spot but not of any great importance. There was an outdoor balcony but that is tiny and 15 stories up the balcony was not good for my husband's vertigo - but it did mean you could open a door to the fresh air.

Having a separate bedroom is always nice as well.

The view over the harbour was very good and the unit got a bit of sun as well which was very nice..

It was a little dated as is the decor of the building itself but that did not bother us. It was clean and tidy and the shower was very good I though.

It was also handy to Cuba street and we have a number of enjoyable walks around the area - and it is still handy to Lambton Quay for shopping etc. and the waterfront, Te Papa etc

There is no restaurant or bar area or gym or any of those sort of hotel services attached to the hotel (I think because it may have been a apartment block originally perhaps that has been converted to an apartment hotel and not a purpose built hotel?) but the restaurant they use is just around the corner I gather and is connected to a sister hotel. We did not get to the restaurant so cannot comment on that. I think I also saw that room service provided via this other restaurant.

At check in there were no porters trying to take your bags - now most bags have wheels on the bottom I wonder how they keep occupied! so from my perspective I quite liked that as it is one thing I find a bit frustrating at other hotels when I am ok with wheeling my own bags - although I am sure a lot of people like that and it does give people jobs.

The people at reception were very helpful and when I mentioned my newspaper had not arrived one morning shortly after that they delivered one to us which was appreciated.

All in all it was a good base to see the city from and we would stay there again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Grand Mercure W, Front Office Manager at Mercure Wellington Central City Hotel and Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Dear jochnz

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.

The comments you made regarding your stay with us are most appreciated. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from guests who have enjoyed their stay.

We hope to be of service again in the near future.

Reviewed 31 August 2013

We stayed for one night at the end of our North Island tour and found the place to be amazing. The room was magnificent although a generator type noise on the roof I found irritating especially at night. That said, I could find no other fault with the room or the staff who were most helpful. Whilst there is no restaurant available, staff were more than willing to point us to the best Wellington had to offer.

Room Tip: We chose a room with a view of Wellington Harbour which was well worth a few dollars extra.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Grand Mercure W, Front Office Manager at Mercure Wellington Central City Hotel and Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 1 September 2013

Dear John T

Thank you for taking the time to post such great feedback, we very much appreciate the comments you made and hope to see you again in the near future.

Kind Regards

Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

Solo trip to Wellington. Good deal on wotif. Nice apartment w separate bedroom. Minimal noise and ideal location. Television viewing not ideally arranged but didn't matter as I was away most of the time. Two night stay worked out well

• Stayed: February 2013

Dear Susan M

Thank you for taking the time to post your feedback.

We hope to be of service again in the near future.

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Great hotel, very clean, service good and one bedroom apartment had everything needed all in a great location central to everything. Stayed for 3 nights - will stay here every time I travel to Wellington now.

Room Tip: Ask for a apartment with kitchen
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Wendy19612013

Dear Wendy19612013

Thank you for choosing to stay with us recently and for taking the time to post your feedback.

The comments you made regarding your stay with us are most appreciated. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback from guests who have enjoyed their stay here at the Grand Mercure Wellington.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the near future.

Reviewed 27 August 2013

We found the Grande Mercure to be very tidy and clean. The service was fantastic. There was only one problem, the fan in the bathroom was really loud and carried on for 15 minutes after the light had been switched off. A small issue really.

1  Thank Keely T