“Great location”

Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great location”
Reviewed 8 May 2013

Stayed here on a business trip last week. The hotel is located centrally and has an easy access to lambton quay. The room was big and clean. Bathroom is a bit dated with the shower bath combo in one (with shower curtain) which I am not a fan of. The bed was very comfortable. Room was a bit cold and heater did not work but staff brought a portable heater and the room heater was fixed the next day,
Service at the lobby was excellent. Staff in the whitbys restaurant were also very friendly and accommodating. The buffet breakfast and dinner was good. They had a variety of vegetarian options.

The gym is quite small for the size/ occupancy of the hotel . Only 4 cardio machines. You have to be early or there at the right time to get a machine.

I had a few treatments at the recent award winning spa in the hotel. The body wrap I had was excellent but would not do the copper bath again. The water was too hot for me and i did not find this relaxing-but that was my personal feeling. the copper bath is suppose to be healing and the bath looks very inviting and appealing therefore i really was excited to try it.The service at the spa was great but found the manager to be rushing at times as she was at the counter,answering the phone, - multi tasking and felt a bit rushed when talking with her. Other than that the spa treatments were great and the therapists were very professional.

I visited the intercontinental hotel which is located on the street parallel to lambton quay and not far from the grand chancellor as I hold the ambassador card. We looked at the club rooms there for a weekend getaway for our next trip but was quite disappointed, the room is very dated - and in comparison with the grand chancellor , I'd probably stay at the grand chancellor considering value for money at the grand chancellor.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
SteveJMartin, General Manager at James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor, responded to this review, 10 May 2013
Hello

Thanks for your review of the James Cook, I am pleased that you enjoyed our central location and that the team here looked after you well – we do pride ourselves on the friendly service our staff provide.
Our gym is small, however we also offer complimentary entry to Les Mills gym which is only a five minute walk from the hotel.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Steve Martin

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (280)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 6 May 2013

I enjoyed my stay overall at the James Cook, but a policy of theirs annoyed me to the point I will not be staying there again. Once the combined total of your stay (accommodation and room charges) goes over $1000, they slip a tersely worded letter under your door asking you how you are going to pay. In my case, I was there for a week on business and only paying myself because our company does not have an account with them. My non accommodation charges were roughly $200 (of which breakfast made up $150) but I still got the not anyway because the 5 days of accommodation took me over the $1000...A classic case of an accountant coming up with an idea that is badly executed. Maybe if my room charges went over $1000 that would be fine, but not the combined total. Just a word to the wise for you business travellers.

Room Tip: ask for a harbour view room
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
SteveJMartin, General Manager at James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor, responded to this review, 7 May 2013
Hi peter g

Once again thanks for your feedback both here on Tripadvisor and directly to myself yesterday. I am pleased that you have enjoyed your stays with us and I am disappointed that you have elected not to return – as I expressed to you we would love the opportunity to welcome you back and I would appreciate you contacting me directly should you have a change of heart and decide to stay with us again.

All the very best.

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Wellington seems to lack something in hotel options. Our three most preferred hotels, Museum Art, At Home and and Distinction all have bedding configurations heavily weighted to queen beds. As we like twin options we end up at more mainstream accommodation. The James Cook offers the most central and most variety of bedding options. Don't expect to be delighted and you'll have a perfectly good stay. Service is good. food is ok. Go out for breakfast, order in room or use cafe on lobby level.

What is good about the James Cook is location. Business, commerce, retail and university are all close. For walking or running you can quickly drop down and be out the waterfront. Go out the back, drop under the motorway and you are at the cable car which will take you to botanic gardens. Better still, walk up the winding streets and pathways and explore some of the great Wellington domestic architecture.

Room Tip: A Terrace view room numbered 09-13 will give you a room view of Wellingtons character old houses. Be...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Hello curioustraveller42

Thanks for your review. As you have highlighted we are very central and within walking distance to all the city centre attractions.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the James Cook in the near future.

Best regards

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 April 2013 via mobile

The hotel was very central to all facets of wellington. The room was on the small side for 4 people to share. The rooms always clean. Would stay again anytime. Breakfast buffett was fabulous. The chef at the egg station was excellent.

Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Drakson90
SteveJMartin, General Manager at James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor, responded to this review, 1 May 2013
Hi Drakson90

Thank you for your review. I’m very pleased you had an enjoyable stay. Our egg station at the breakfast buffet has always been very popular with our guests and I’m glad you enjoyed it. We look forward to you staying with us again soon.

Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
Reviewed 29 April 2013

I needed a central hotel to base myself in Wellington and am glad I stayed at the James Cook Hotel, It couldn't have been a better location! The room was spacious, comfortable and clean.

hmmm... apparently tripadvisor wants my review to be 200 characters.. blah blah blah blah.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Jason N
Hello Jason N

Thank you for you review. I’m happy to know our product and services met your expectations. We hope to see you here again soon.

Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 29 April 2013 via mobile

Room was bit old but tidy with 32" LCD (bit small), noise air-con just like working in the factor, average hotel with fair price, however next time we may try other place to stay.

Carpark overnight cost extra $25.00 ?!? ...

Bathroom was average with low ceiling, water can be very hot once u flush toilet and taking shower at the same time.

• Stayed April 2013
Hello Smart8

Thank you for your review. We do have a regular maintenance plan in place to ensure that our services are operating correctly. I am sorry that the air-conditioning in your room was noisy, it has since been repaired. I do hope you decide to stay with us again.

Best regards

waterford
Reviewed 27 April 2013

From the station take a long long walk up the terrace to The James Cook. Very nice bright and cheerful welcome. Terrific room way up high, overlooking the Fijustu offices. If I was being picky (and I am) the hotel has a slight 70ies feel and needs a little love and attention. All the staff very pleasant. Lot of 'blokes' around the lounge in grey trousers and opened neck white shirts...."The conference is over and we can be cool, get rid of the tie and the top half of the suit". Groups of little smiley Japanes with cameras listening to their tour leader " To-day we are in the capita of New Zearand, which is car Weddington.....after famous Engrish Miritary reader, The Duke of Weddington". Would we stay there again ?.....It's a resounding YES.

Room Tip: go on line to last min dor com
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank kenneth b B
Hi there,

Thank you very much for your review. I’m really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. I look forward to welcoming you back here again soon.