“Excellent location and service”

James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor
Ranked #12 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed 22 October 2013

Excellent service. Conveniently located closed to the terrace and thus to the harbor.
Very good breakfast and dinner options. Bar and restaurant in the top floor was well attended and reasonable view (considering)....

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Wanted to stay in central Wellington for the best price. Most places I could find were over my budget, but this was the most cost effective. I needed parking, and figured that since I had a long drive (to Hamilton) I'd opt to get a package which included parking and breakfast. Even though I had aGC rewards card and stayed with GCH on many occasions, the booking process didn't go too well, i wanted to confirm the parking was definitely included, so phoned reservations to book, rather than book online. I wanted a twin room, but was told I could only have a double because it was a busy time with the World of Wearable Arts being on in town. I asked to confirm that parking was included, and was told it wasn't, and I'd have to pay an additional $25 per day. I decided not to proceed with the booking and try and find somewhere else. However, as I couldn't find anything much cheaper, I decided to book online, and was able to book the package with a twin room, with breakfast and parking. Clearly when phoning reservations, I spoke to someone who was not well informed of the packages.

When arriving, it was a little confusing where to park. Taxi's filled up most of the spare space at the from door, and there were a couple of other parks. The Wilsons parking was at the hotel entrance and there was some wordy signage with the HGC logo at the carpark entrance, so proceeded to park. However when I got to reception I was told I the carpark has nothing to do with the hotel and I had to park outside the from hotel door. (This was a little difficult given there was no space to park without parking in the middle of the driveway, blocking anyone else who would want to enter). I asked if id be charged for parking in the carpark, and was informed I would be charged after the first five minutes and would not be reimbursed. So I ran down to the park, collected my car before I was charged, and because of the cars and taxi's at the hotel entrance, and the one way street, had to do a whole block to get back to the hotel, it took another 15 minutes.

After getting checked in, we went to our room, and the view from the room was a city harbour view (but couldn't see much harbour). The room was clean, getting a bit old, but adequate and comfortable.

Breakfast was nice, plenty to choose from.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
SteveJMartin, General Manager at James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor, responded to this reviewResponded 22 October 2013

Hello karabatraveller

Thank you for taking the time to write and post your review. Please accept my apologies for the confusion you experienced both making your reservation and with the car park on arrival. We offer a valet car parking service and always endeavour to have staff available to park your car as soon as you arrive at the front of the hotel – I’m sorry that this was not clear.

I do hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back to the hotel again soon.

Best regards

Steve Martin

Reviewed 19 October 2013

I have stayed in quite a few hotels in Wellington, and the James Cook is pretty good, but would not be my favourite. The room (on the 14th floor, facing the Terrace) was average, but comfortable. I wonder what the 'Lambton Room' my gooking said I was supposed to get - if this was it, it was nothing special. Breakfast in the Whitby Restaurant was standard buffet, but they charge extra for expresso coffe - sad. We had breakfast one morning in 'Sojorns' in the foyer, but it was not value for money (IMHO) and the fried eggs were black on the bottom. The Hotel is a bit dated, but the location is great. The internet is charge for (but only $10 for 24 hours).

I would rahter pay a bit more and have the 'extras' thown in. The staff were friendly (mostly) with a cheery 'good morning' and a smile.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 October 2013

We attended the World of Wearable Art (WOW )performance on the wharf at Wellington and this hotel is ideal as it's only a 5 minute walk to the wharf - which also makes it close to everything in the city of Wellington. So 10/10 for location. And it also offers parking and we did have a vehicle so the hotel suited our purpose well.

However the building is old - very old. The foyer and rooms have been refurnished and are nice - but when you look at the large windows in the rooms, you can see just old the building is! We had a windy evening and we could actually see the curtains in our room move with the wind, so I think they need to do a bit of resealing around the old windows!

The size of the room was great and it had everything we needed and was fine - nice and light inside the room with a good bathroom that was well set up - and the bed was good quality. We booked just a regular room which I'd rate at about 3+ to 4 stars. (The hotel is generally rated as a 4 star hotel).

However the tragedy of this hotel is the crazy internet pricing. It's $30 to connect for a day - crazy stuff when you can walk outside the hotel and tap into a free wifi system in Wellington city - although it's limited to a hour or so per day free. But still, it's outrageous that this hotel would charge $30 for internet - and for this very reason, we will never stay here again!

We didn't expect anyone to bring our bags to the room - we usually do it ourselves. And that's a good thing as there didn't appear to much help offered from staff anyway - however we checked in at a busy time. We were in a Lambton Room but I think you might want to ask for a Terrace Room which in the newly refurbished wing.

We didn't eat at the hotel as there was a special pre-show dinner advertised but it was booked out as I think they only have space for 20 people in their lobby cafe but I think there is another restaurant on the top floor. However in a place like Wellington there are so many good independent dining options, that's probably the best way to go!

So it the hotel experience was fine - our main issue was the internet pricing!

Room Tip: We were in a Lambton Room but I think you might want to ask for a Terrace Room which in the newly re...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MishasVineyard
Reviewed 14 October 2013 via mobile

This was my first trip overseas and this hotel was disgraceful we carried our own bags to our room as there was no porter nothing explained to us on arrival had already taken the cost of our accommodation out of the credit card before we arrived when they were told we were paying cash the buffet dinner was disgusting it was the worst place we stayed in NZ will never go back to this place again the only decent person was Errol at the bar who gave me the drink I wash oolong for which was simple L&P which in the smorgasbord they said they didn't stock never to return Sydney Australia .

Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends

Hi Heather H

I am very disappointed to learn that you did not have a good experience whilst staying with us – please accept my sincere apologies. Recently we have received very positive feedback regarding our food and service in Whitby’s – I would appreciate it if you were able to give me some more information regarding your experience so that we may address the issues.

I do hope that you enjoyed the rest of your visit to New Zealand.

Best regards

Steve Martin

Reviewed 12 October 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Quickbeds
Reviewed 11 October 2013

I have stayed at this hotel several times for work trips. The staff are always very friendly and helpful and the hotel is very well located. The entry level rooms, however, are really more 3 star They are a bit dated, and have no views. Wi-fi is quite expensive ($30 nz per day) if not included in the room rate.

Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business