“Fabulous stay”

James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor
Ranked #12 of 47 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed 25 November 2013

The hotel was easy to find straight off the slip road. The staff were friendly and helpful. Valet parking was very useful . Breakfast was wonderful as were the large rooms which were lovely and clean. We had to depart early but the staff were kind enough to bring breakfast to our room at 6 am, thank you for your assistance in allowing us to have breakfast before travelling.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 25 November 2013 via mobile

We booked the hotel due to its central location.Front staff were very helpful but we found the rooms a bit musty but nice n clean. Not sure were they get the the 4 star rating.They need to get the wifi sorted as all modern hotels have free wifi included in the tarif

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 November 2013

I normally stay at the The Mecure on The Terrace, mainly because it has a swimming pool but this weekend it was all booked out for some reason. That ended up in me going back to an old haunt where I used to stay regularly, The James Cook grand Chancellor. Surprisingly, it wasn't that expensive. Now I regret letting my "points" at the James Cook lapse just so I could swim at the other place. I had not been there for a couple years but they certainly remembered me and made me feel welcome again.The buffet breakfast does have that "edge". Just before going to Wellington James sent me an email offering me a special $18 breakfast so that certainly motivated me to indulge in it. The chocolates waiting for me on the bed upon check in ... a nice touch. But I just can't work out why a beer is $2 cheaper than a lemon, lime and bitters!!!It will be hard cloise net time coming to Wellington... swim or upgrade a level...

Room Tip: Try requesting an upgrade to a corner room... well worth it.
Reviewed 22 November 2013

Very pleasant one night stay at the James Cook in Wellington. It's been a long time since I've been in hotel with the custom fitted furniture with embedded electronics. Felt like I was in a James Bond movie from the 60's. Room was very nice, staff were extremely helpful, and the lift down to Lambton Quay was a quick way to get around. Great breakfast venue on the 17th floor overlooking the harbour. Not sure if I'll ever make it back to Wellington - but if I do, I'd certainly consider staying at the James Cook again.

Reviewed 21 November 2013

Nice clean and spacious room. Checking-in was a breeze with polite and efficient staff. Checking-out just as efficient and friendly. Have stayed here many times on my infrequent trips to Wellington and will continue to do so as it is so centrally located to everything in Wellington. Peter B - Auckland

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I have lost count of the times stayed here over the last 15 years traveling to Wellington, so when asked 'have you stayed here before?' It kind of annoys me - my name has not changed, same company... And I am afraid that is the general theme of the stay. While it is clean, has location it needs a serious revamp. Just the small things, iron was broken, paper in morning never arrived, air con was lousy... James Cook is just run of the mill, not bad bad, nor super wow, just average. Next week I am back at the Bolton.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Michael H
Reviewed 18 November 2013

I spent a few days recently at the Palliative Care Nurses New Zealand Conference. The room was well accomplished and clean. The Health and Massage section was amazing. My wife and I felt so good after the experience that we re booked a couples massage the next evening.

Room Tip: Choose a waterfront view if possible
1  Thank Peter K