2,035 results
All reviews hippopotamus restaurant te papa art collection great art huge bath across the road apartment room espresso machine cool hotel rain shower public areas new zealand harbour view washer dryer mini bar courtney place courtenay place
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

Very unique hotel. Interesting art as well decor. Room was clean. Internet was at cost but reasonable but also fast. Food at the Hippo restaurant was good but nothing special. Location is close to art galleries, the museum, and a good number of restaurants and pubs all within walking (and safe) distance. I would stay here again for business or pleasure.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank ASPry
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

We stayed in one of the apartments for 2 nightsMaster bedroom was in a balcony with floor to ceiling windows. Blinds did not shut out the light and room was cold. No hangers for towels and the sheets and towels were changed after 1st night. NOT environmentally friendly.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 28 August 2013

It has been a long held wish of mine to stay at this hotel, so my daughters arranged a weekend for us in wellington - they flew in from Auckland & myself from the south, we all arrived early & knew we were unable to check in but the staff kindly looked after our bags and we returned in the afternoon. It seemed half of NZ had the same idea, none of the rooms were ready, the hotel was fully booked.
The hotel was wonderful and would return but I think the management need to look at increasing the level of cleaning staff so the place is ready for guests earlier, an hour in the lobby not good when you are travel weary as much of the crowd was & dying for a clean up and get to the rugby!
Great apartment room, nice bar, wonderful spa & gym - wish we had longer!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 August 2013

My partner loved the art theme of this hotel - but I'm afraid it didn't do much for me. So I've tried to find a happy medium in this review.
The positives - very good service from the front desk to the concierge. The hotel is well situated - directly opposite the magnificent national Te Papa Museum and only a short walk to theatres and trendy Cuba Street. The bathroom was comfortable and well appointed with lots of goodies. The room faced Te Papa and the Harbour and was generous in size. We didn't eat in-house so I can't comment on the restaurant.
Frankly though, I found the hotel a little too noisy. The walls are well sound proofed and there is not much traffic noise, but the hotel doors bang loudly - the main culprit seems to be the steel balcony doors. I offered the opinion to my partner that without the art the hotel would be rather dull and ordinary. We discussed this through dinner (in Cuba Street) and could not agree. I conceded that if you like an art theme in a hotel, this could be the place for you.

Room Tip: Harbour view is good.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2013

We stayed here for one evening for our wedding anniversary. The location is excellent. Within walking distance to any number of Wellington's great restaurants. The Hotel is very well appointed, and the room was lovely. The only negative comment was that both the reception and the bar at the Hippopotamus Restaurant seemed to be under-staffed. It took us a while to check in, and drinks took a bit too long to be served,...but these are very minor points.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple