1,994 results
All reviewshippopotamus restaurantte papaart collectiongreat arthuge bathacross the roadapartment roomespresso machinecool hotelrain showerpublic areasnew zealandharbour viewwasher dryermini barcourtney placecourtenay place
Reviewed 9 October 2013

I have stayed many times at the Museum Hotel on business. Each time it is better. From the art scattered through the hotel to the delight of staying in a large building that has been picked up and moved to the pretty good restaurant and the quirky rooms the establishment is tremendous.

I am looking foreword to having a holiday there.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 October 2013

Love the view, love the room, excellent housekeeping, close to everything in town. But, had a room service meal. Verydusappointingafterthe wonderful reviews we had read about the Hippapotamus Restaurant. I chose the Beef Rib (rare). It was a good size, but I actually hurt my finger with the pressure of trying to cut it. It was very difficult to eat. Sauces and salad with it were fine. My husband had the Duck Confit which was also much tougher than you would expect the duck to be. Thank goodness there are plenty of other great restaurants in the vicinity.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Our room was a bit shabby - it's all relative but this place isn't cheap. The lobby area has a bit of a frenetic feel of it, and it's shared with a bar, which isn't very relaxing. Also, the girl on bar duty didn't know the difference between whisky and brandy (literally) and it has a pretty narrow range of drinks. The upstairs bar (part of the restaurant) was much better. One of the lifts didn't work either, which is irritating, and there was a smelly tray of old food left outside the room next to ours for over 12 hours.

All in all, disappointing. They need to lift their game.

Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 October 2013

stayed one night only, was a pleasant enough stay, parts of the hotel are a little worn but overall its a fair enough place to stay,good central location, clean and tidy, plenty of big fluffy towels and nice extras in the bathroom, bathroom was a bit worn in places but we stayed in a standard room so i have no idea what the better rooms provide or look like, but it was all clean and tidy lovely big huge tv in the bedroom, beds and pillows nice and comfy, my only gripe was that neither of the two lifts were working, lucky enough we were only on the second floor, there were no apologies or offers of help with luggage, lucky we only had a couple of light over night bags, had we had larger suitcases or been staying on a higher floor it would have been a problem, we were standing waiting for the lift after check in when the concierge came up to us and said that they had been having problems with the lift, smiled and walked off, never asked did we need any help with our luggage. Anyway all in all it was an ok stay,

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 September 2013

I have stayed at the Museum many times and will continue to do so as I do so hate corporate hotels and this is anything but. As with the last few times, I stayed this time in the newer apartment wing at the back. Usually I would give the Museum 5 but I think these newer rooms are now looking like they need a bit of refreshing.

I like it that the Museum is brave enough to paint itself black and to have some unusual and quirly pieces of art dotted around. I don't like it that they still charge for internet and that they have a 2% credit card charge.

Rooms are good though - a nice size and with very good amenities. The premier studio apartments have lovely "real" coffee machines, big baths, lovely shower condiments etc.

It's been a while since I tried the Hippo restaurant as I don't really see the point when you have a wealth of the city's best restaurants at your doorstep.

The staff are always unfailing helpful and polite.

I would go as far as to say that I would go out of my way to stay at the Museum when I am in Wellington but they must be careful that the 4.5 doesn't slip to a 4...

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
museumh, Owner at QT Museum Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Thank you for your comments. As coincidence would have it we have just commenced a spruce up of our apartment suites. By the time of your next visit they will be freshly painted and you should also see some other changes including bed linen.
We are also planning replacement of our 42 inch TVs with 46 inch digital TVs and a full digital system. This will particularly enhance the sports channels.
So, thank you agin for your advice which as you can see we are heeding, and thank you for being a loyal client.
Chris Parkin