Hotel Waterloo & Backpackers
  • Bar/Lounge
US$171
US$157
  • Restaurant
The Cambridge Hotel(Wellington)(Great Value!)
US$65
US$231
US$189
  • Restaurant
Travelodge Hotel Wellington(Wellington)(Great Value!)
US$92
US$82
  • Room Service
At Home Wellington(Wellington)
US$186
US$182
  • Fitness centre
All reviewstrain stationguest kitchenbluebridge ferrydouble ensuiteacross the roadown bathroomcommon areassouth islandperfect locationfree wifite papawaterfrontstadiumparliamentbeehivewharfcbd
Reviewed 5 August 2014

My experience staying at Downtown Backpackers was okay, but I felt that there was nothing special about staying here. This was mainly due to the layout of the hostel in which everything was very spread out and it can be difficult to meet people in the common areas. The rooms were fine, however the bathrooms could really use some touch up work to make it more welcoming I suppose. Also the wireless internet options here seemed quite expensive as I have decided to use my cellular network instead.

Best thing about the hostel really has to be the location, and serves as a great base to explore Wellington.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank nmestar99
Reviewed 29 July 2014

My first experience of Downtown and what an excellent experience. Well located, clean and comfortable and excellent customer service, exactly the experience that a friend and I were looking for. No better place to stop and enjoy Wellington when you are on a budget. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: The singles with shared bathrooms are excellent, just 2 sharing (you and a friend) and doors between all rooms anyway. Great value in central Wellington for $68.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Chris H
Reviewed 14 July 2014

I started in a dorm then realised I was disturbing everyone because had to get up early for work. Was happy and relaxed in my new room. Had an awesome time and the people at the reception were helpful and accommodating. :)

Especially liked the people working in the cafe. All made me feel welcome and looked after. Thanks people!

Room Tip: Better get a separate room
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 July 2014

We stayed for 5 nights. We hadn't stayed at a backpackers before, so were a bit nervous - but it was really nice. The room was very small, but had a dresser and wardrobe so everything fitted. It is quite noisy, with doors shutting, the lift going, and a carpark next door that went 'clunk' every time a car went in - but we bought earplugs on the first day and had no trouble after that. We're a bit older, too, so the earplugs helped us cope with the busy kids who were staying, too :). I don't think the noise was anything out of the ordinary, though.
The bed was comfortable, everything was clean and smelled nice, and the staff were lovely.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JacsNZ
Reviewed 8 July 2014

We organized a school trip to Wellington and stayed at the Downtown Backpackers which is located very conveniently in the town center opposite the train station. All major activities are on walking distance. The children and staff were very pleased with the accommodation and the service and kindness of the DT Backpackers staff. The rooms were clean and well-presented and the meals tasty; overall a choice with very good value for money. The communication with Silvia went very efficient and smoothly and I certainly would recommend Downtown Backpackers Wellington to have a great stay!
Autograph Events by Anya