CityLife Wellington
James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor(Wellington)(Great Value!)
US$119
US$217
US$166
Hotels.com
US$155
US$134
Hotels.com
  • Pool
Best Western Wellington(Wellington)(Great Value!)
US$117
US$110
The Cambridge Hotel(Wellington)(Great Value!)
US$67
US$57
  • Restaurant
Travelodge Hotel Wellington(Wellington)(Great Value!)
US$95
US$89
  • Room Service
US$153
US$148
Orbitz.com
  • Restaurant
Wellesley Boutique Hotel(Wellington)(Great Value!)
US$125
US$116
  • Room Service
Quality Hotel Wellington(Wellington)(Great Value!)
US$157
US$146
US$168
US$111
Priceline
  • Fitness centre
All reviewscity lifelambton quaycable cardirectors suitegreat locationbedroom apartmentfull kitchengilmer terracewashing machine and dryermain bedroomcentral locationliving areakitchen facilitiescontinental breakfastan upgradewithin easy walking distancebit dated
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 21 February 2014

This is our 3rd trip to NZ and stay a week in self catering each time. While it doesn't tick all the boxes it is the best self catering so far in the city. Location is excellent on Lambton Quay, bus stop opposite the front door. Parking out the back was expensive at $15 a day, so you need to factor that into your daily rate. Also if you have mobility problems the car park overflow is hard work. Front desk staff are some of the friendliest in the city, really nice and always able to help. We stayed for a week in a 1 bedroom which was spacious, very clean, well laid out, modern and had all we needed. On the downside it felt like a dark cave facing the back garden wall. The air-conditioning isn't air conditioning as we know it, rather a gadget in the lounge room blowing coolish air, this didn't lower the temperature in the apartment just a 5ft radius around the box, the bedroom had a fan. We asked for a second duvet as with my pregnancy I like to wiggle, the maid took the second duvet from us after night 1 and didn't return it. NZ hotels have a credit card charge, which you don't see in many other countries, you need to factor this into your daily rate or pay in cash. Gym was basic, you might want to supplement with the council gym on the waterfront. Bed was too floppy in middle and uncomfortable after a few nights. I was happy overall, it's hard to find self catering accommodation and even harder this time of year with music and sporting events. For us location was important, as was washer, dryer and space so it ticked all those boxes, the happy staff was a nice bonus. I think the internet must have changed since some reviews as it was free wifi which is excellent! Happy overall.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
CityLifeWLGMgr, General Manager at CityLife Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2014

Dear SumoDoha,

Thank you for taking the time to post your valuable feedback on TripAdvisor.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us. It is part of our culture to celebrate success and receiving positive feedback is an integral part of this process. I will share your kind words with our Front Desk team.

I will also discuss your comments about the air-conditioner and the missing duvet with my team to ensure such an occurence is not repeated.

We look forward to hosting you again on your next visit to Wellington.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

No other hotel experience in Wellington to compare to, but maybe average for hotels in NZ. Compared to typical North American urban hotels, we'd say the property is overall fairly clean and tidy, but the building itself may need some significant overhaul because of water problems. We were upgraded (without request) to a two-bedroom suite, but the master bedroom (with its own separate toilet) smelled moldy. We checked for leaks and noticed the edges around the window were wet with bits of black smudges here and there. Not a major leak, but enough to suggest water was in the structure. It was a short stay for us so no big deal. The carpet seemed ok but the bed was more Days Inn quality, definitely not the standards of an average NA hotel. A lot of tourists from Asian tour company(ies) pass through. Functional WiFi but certainly not fast. Location-wise it was good - fairly central, but we didn't spent any real time downtown during the day so no comment. A good 10-minute walk to Cuba street, but we really enjoyed our meal at the General Practitioner (not in Lonely Planet!), bistro quality food and friendly service.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Jackson W

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback on TripAdvisor.

Please accept my sincere apology as we did not meet your expectations on your recent stay with us. We will also investigate your feedback about the possible leak in the bedroom resulting in a mouldy smell which is unacceptable.

We hope to have an opportunity to welcome you back at CityLife Wellington.

Reviewed 17 February 2014

Located in Central Wellington and accessed at rear on 6th floor via a 'dingy' approach road (Gilmer Terrace) to reception. Access from reception via lift to Lambton Quay on ground floor. NB can be difficult to find and parking may be away from main hotel! Very large, comfortable rooms (lounge, bedroom, large bathroom) with city views. A/C can be a problem in some city centre hotels but this was very quiet and efficient. Only complaint was that the room has been 'well used' over the years and could do with a refurb in the near future.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Dear PAHEngland,

Thank you for the taking the time to post your valuable feedback on TripAdvisor.

I appreciate your feedback as it give us the opportunity to continually review our service and facilities. Please accept my sincere apology for any inconvenience caused to you with the driving access to the hotel and the parking.

We look forward to hosting you on your next visit to Wellington.

Reviewed 12 February 2014

City Life in Wellington, NZ is an awesome property! I had the privilege of staying there in November, 2013, and it was a phenomenal experience. When I entered the room, I was shocked at the enormous size of it. What a wonderful surprise! It was an entire contemporary apartment with a full-size kitchen, dining room, living room, and bedroom and I was pleasantly surprised to find a washer and dryer inside to do my laundry in the comfort of my room. The staff was absolutely outstanding and couldn't do enough for me. They insisted on helping me with my exploding suitcase, mapped out simple directions for me to several attractions, suggested dining options, and immediately came to the rescue when I dropped my earring down the bathroom sink! The plumber came up while I was on a tour, captured the lost earring, and left me a note that it was found! The customer service at City Life in Wellington is the best I've experienced in years! I will definitely return to this fine hotel and recommend it to anyone I can! Thank you for a fabulous stay! Terry L., Clearwater, FL

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
CityLifeWLGMgr, General Manager at CityLife Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Terry L,

Thanks for taking the time to post your feedback on TripAdvisor.

I am delighted that we exceeded your expectations and you enjoyed your stay with us. It is part of our culture to celebrate success and receiving positive feedback is an integral part of this process. I will share your kind words with the team especially and Front desk and Maintenance staff who provided exceptional service on your stay.

We look forward to hosting you again on your next visit to Wellington.

Reviewed 26 January 2014

Not the easiest hotel in the world to find. Don't try to use the entrance on Lumberton Quay if arriving by car. You need to drive around the block and enter in Gilmer Terrace.
There is a small drop off area where you can park to check in, then you have to park away from the hotel.
The rooms are spacious and have all the amenities required. The bed is clean and comfortable. There is a washer and tumble drier in the corridor just outside the room.
The soft furnishings and carpets are looking a bit dated but the room is clean.
Reception staff are warm and friendly.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
CityLifeWLGMgr, General Manager at CityLife Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 27 January 2014

Dear 99ray,

Thanks for taking the time to post your valuable feedback on TripAdvisor.

Please accept my apologies if the driving access via Gilmer Terrace was not explained or informed to you while you made your reservation.

We are delighted that your found our suites spacious and the staff friendly.

We hope you enjoyed your holiday in NZ. We look forward to hosting you on your next visit.

Kind regards,