“Great two bedroom apartment in a central location”

CityLife Wellington
Ranked #9 of 47 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed 3 July 2014

When searching for hotels in Wellington, I was expecting to book 2 rooms since my husband and I were traveling with our older son and his girlfriend. I was pleasantly surprised to find that Citylife had a 2 bedroom apartment available at less than the cost of 2 rooms. The place was quite spacious, with a full kitchen, dining and living area with a large TV . The kitchen appeared to be well stocked with dishes, glasses, pots and pans, and utensils, as well as a dishwasher and garbage disposal! Of the 2 bedrooms, 1 had a private half bath, while the other bedroom had access to the full bath. Both bedrooms also had TVs. Our bedroom looked over the parking garage, and could be quite noisy early in the morning. It sounded like someone was dropping large metal rods into big trash bins! The larger bathroom also had a washer and dryer. The apartment was on the 7th floor, but the elevator only goes to the 6th floor. This was not a big deal,especially because the person at the front desk carried our luggage upstairs for us. The staff at the hotel was always quite helpful with any questions, and also made suggestions for activities and restaurants. It is somewhat confusing when driving here because the hotel's main entrance is on Lambton Quay,but you need to take the elevator to the lobby is on the 6th floor. You must drive your car around the block to enter the hotel's parking garage. Make sure to ask for directions on how to do this before arriving if you can. Once here, a car is really unnecessary, as everything was in walking distance. The cable car was almost right next door to the hotel, which we were able to take to the botanic garden. This area is a great place for shopping, and both the waterfront and Cuba street are within easy walking distance of the hotel.

Room Tip: If you want to sleep late, try to get a room away from the parking garage.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
CityLifeWLGMgr, General Manager at CityLife Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 9 July 2014

Dear skteach,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback on TeipAdvisor. We really value a review from a Top Contributor.

We are delighted that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us and we exceeded your expectations.

We look forward to hosting you on yur next holiday to NZ.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

We stayed here for 2 nights and were pleasantly surprised. Fantastic location within walking distance of everything you could want in the city. Rooms were spacious and well laid out, although there was only a small window that couldnt be opened which is not entirely wonderful. The beds were very comfortable and noise was minimal. Particular thanks to the guys working in the evenings both nights. Very friendly.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Ngrrk
CityLifeWLGMgr, General Manager at CityLife Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 3 July 2014

Dear Ngrrk,

Thank you very much for posting your feedback on TripAdvisor. We appreciate a review from a Top Contributer.

We are delighted that you were pleasantly surprised on your stay and found the rooms comfortable and staff friendly.

We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Reviewed 25 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
CityLifeWLGMgr, General Manager at CityLife Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Reviewed 16 June 2014

The room here was very well appointed, everything you might need in a city apartment, washing machine etc. large lounge and dining space to spread out in. The bed itself felt small for the size of the apartment but it was clean and tidy. Decor and furnishings just a little warn but I bet that's because they are very popular.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear AngelaFaye74,

Thank you very much for posting your review on TripAdvisor. We sincerely value feedback from a Senior Reviewer such as yourself.

I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay in one of our suites.

We have planned a soft refurbishment of our kitchens and bathrooms this year and also currently upgrading our beds to new "tranquil beds" which will complete by end of July.

We look forward ot hosting you again on your next visit to Wellington.

Reviewed 13 June 2014

Very friendly staff, clean rooms, modern and comfortable furnishings. They gave us an unexpected upgrade too, which was lovely. One of the bathrooms was getting a bit old, but the shower was still great. Breakfast was good and having coffee available in the "living room" during the day was appreciated. There was some street noise form the bedroom on Lambton Quay, but it wasn't too loud. Was nice to be able to use my ipod in their speakers with an ipod dock, and it was nice to have some complimentary wi-fi in the room, but it doesn't allow much downloading before you have to pay for more - having said that the top up cost was reasonable.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
CityLifeWLGMgr, General Manager at CityLife Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2014

Dear Lynn E,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience on TripAdvisor. We very much appreciate feedback especially from a Senior Reviewer as it gives us an opportunity to continually review our service and facitlities.

We are delighted that we exceeded your expectations on your recent stay. We look forward to hosting you again on your next visit to Wellington.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

We stayed at the Citylife in early May. When we arrived we were upgraded to a two bedroom suite overlooking Lambton Quay. The upgrade was much appreciated at the time and turned out to be necessary as a result of the noise. The first night we slept in the room nearest to Lambton Quay and it was very noisy. The second night we slept in the second bedroom further away from Lambton Quay and it was much better. I am not sure if the windows were double glazed or not but if they were I think it needs redoing. While I like quiet rooms when I sleep I am concious that on a busy street - as Lambton Quay is - that there might be some noise but this was too noisy really. We were on Level 1 so just above road level so maybe it is better as you get higher. The buses sounded like they were in the room.

The suite was quite spacious with a good sized kitchen and bathroom and there was a second loo of one of the bedrooms.

The staff were very nice and helpful - particularly after we also got a freezing shower the first morning we were there.

I stayed at the Citylife some years ago and remember thinking it was very nice. The location is still great on Lambton Quay near the shops etc but I felt that the hotel is need of a bit of a facelift.

I would probably stay there again because of the location but I think I would have a bit of a look around to see what else is available as an alternative.

I also had a bit of a problem with emails as the room cost was meant to include wifi. It seemed as though I was sending email without any problem ie my telephone made the usual noise it makes when emails are sent (and the emails disappeared) and there nothing to show it had not gone - until I got back to work the following week and it seemed that the ones I had sent had not gone where they were meant to go and in addition for some reason the email was not saved anywhere so I had to redo them, one of which was quite long. I am not particularly technological and it may well have been a result of something I had done - but I simply mention it so that if you are thinking of sending emails from your phone in your room you make sure that the wifi is sorted.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank jochnz
CityLifeWLGMgr, General Manager at CityLife Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 8 June 2014

Dear jochnz,

Thank you very much for sharing oyur valuable feedback on Tripadvisor.

Please accept my sincere apology as we did not exceed your expectations on your recent stay with us. We have planned a facelift of our bathrooms and kitchens this year and will be completing a mock up room very soon. We are certain this will compliment our spacious and well equipped suites.

We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

The location of this hotel is great - right in the centre of Wellington city and you can walk to the harbour, the pedestrian mall and great restaurants very easily from here. Hotel reception is not located on the ground floor when you come in through the main street - take the elevator to reception but if you are driving in, the carpark is just outside reception. The room my fiance and I stayed in was very old and smelt dingy and horrible. We had to leave the air conditioning on all the time to get rid of the smell, but it was of little use. We didn't find the bathroom clean either. Since it was a very short stay and we had work to do, we just put up with the state of the room. If you are going on holiday, look for other hotels. This hotel works if you are on a one night stay. The staff are very nice though and I think they do make up for the lack lustre rooms.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear 201Sheila,

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback on TripAdvisor. We sincerely appreciate feedback from a Top Contributor.

Please accept my sincere apology as we did not meet your expectations on your recent stay with us. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly (details below) so I can gather information and further investigate the smell your experienced in your room.

We have also planned a refurbishment of our bathrooms and kitchens this year.

We look forward to hosting you again on your next visit to Wellington.

vireshm@heritagehotels.co.nz