“Good Basic Hotel”
Review of ibis Wellington

ibis Wellington
Ranked #15 of 47 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed 30 July 2014

Great location, tidy and everything you need. Great shower! The rooms was definitely on the small side and the walls weren't exactly sound proof, but fine for one night. The lighting in the room could be brighter and would prefer a separate hand and face towel.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Skoosh
1  Thank missycc2014
IbisWellington, Manager at ibis Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you very much for sharing your thoughts following your stay with us.

Write a ReviewReviews (2,276)

Reviewed 28 July 2014

The location of this IBIS is it's most endearing feature. It is right downtown Wellington and as others have said - don't bring the car since there is no parking. I landed the plane in Paraparaumu and took the train to downtown Wellington for $9.25. A four block walk had me at the IBIS from the train station. Piece of cake. This is your stock standard boring IBIS that you would find anywhere on the globe. The bed was pretty cheap, the room small but clean and since I wasn't there for anything else but business - I found it most satisfactory. A 3 rating would be the most I would afford one of these hotels, so in that respect it 100% met my expectations. Take the time to go for a walk or run around the Quay to the Airport. Its not far and it's iconic.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank S B

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Reviewed 27 July 2014

Where does the Ibis brand fit into Accor’s value hierarchy of hotel/motel properties?

I’ve stayed at a Pullman, a Sofitel and a few Mercure hotels, but never before at an Ibis…until Ibis Wellington…a small boutique 9-story property handily located in the heart of the CBD and 200 meters from The TSB Centre on the Welly wharf, - where our special event, the NZ Art Show Gala was taking place, and our reason for booking in.

This Ibis on Featherston St. is in a GREAT urban downtown location, especially if taking a taxi from WLG. I had pre-arranged for a parking spot – there are only 17 under the building but NO one told me how to best check-in with my car.

I arrived at the hotel after driving 300 kms from Hawke’s Bay and there was no where to pull over in front of the hotel to check-in. Taxis and trucks were parked in the loading zone so I tried going around the block, once, twice, three times, no place to park or pullover. I decided to widen the “circle” and go 2 blocks – well, with one way streets and trying to double back, this was not a good plan – another 3 times around the block until a delivery truck finally pulled out – all told 35 minutes to find a spot to pull in in order to simply check-in to the Ibis.

This was aggravating and simply totally unexpected. Then, I found out that I could have pulled directly into my parking space by ringing a bell on a driveway wall and identifying myself as a guest at the hotel – WHY in G-D’s name could someone simply TELL me this when I booked my parking space over the phone? Will this oversight get rectified for the next hundred guests who arrive with a car having pre-booked a parking space?

Later, once in the room, I find that Ibis has Our 15 minutes Satisfaction Guarantee placard that says “we have 15 minutes on the clock to sort it out or that service is on us” So within an hour of getting to the property, I estimate that I’m owed 30 minutes credit.

Problems # 2 & 3

My wife arrived by plane and taxied in just in time for a quick shower and change of clothes to attend the NZ ART Show Gala at TSB Bank Arena. My wife went to put on a shower cap and there wasn’t one – I don’t think I’ve ever not seen one in the bathroom as an amenity – I rang the front desk and they let me know that they have no shower caps. I had to laugh when my wife suggested she’d never thought that she had to actually bring one along to ANY hotel. But that was no major; we proceeded to shower and got out to discover – NO towels in the bathroom. Both of us standing in the bedroom dripping in disbelief -- In 40 years and literally thousands hotel nights, I thought I’d seen it all – but I have never EVER not found towels in the room immediately after check-in.

So, with both of us standing there chilled and dripping dry,
I rang the front desk and thankfully within ten minutes, someone showed up with towels. The front desk beat the 15 minute satisfaction guarantee, however, this was a MOST strange and a HUGE negative impression after my simply frustrating effort to check into the hotel.

You’d think someone from hotel management versed in customer service might make an effort to apologize, -- a call, perhaps a note with a fruit plate sent up – there was not even an “I’m sorry your experience at Ibis has not been better” or “we’ll make every effort to insure that the rest of your visit is flawless”

So I wrote this review to post to TripAdvisor and other social media sites and sent it down to have it printed w/ hopes that maybe if handed to the Hotel Manager, perhaps they’ll credit one night’s parking, or offer us a complimentary brekkie. I did and the hotel manager did credit me 1 nights’ parking – not sure really whether he will ever insist
that every staff person tell anyone with a car to simply ring the Ibis button on the wall of the driveway around the corner.

However, as of now, it’s not likely that we’ll ever come back to Ibis Wellington or for that matter any Ibis in the Acc

Room Tip: Since the hotel is right on the midst of traffic, restaurants and bars, I recommend the 8th or 9th f...
1  Thank HaljoHal

Thank you again for your detailed feedback. Our front office team appreciated the opportunity to discuss your concerns in the hotel, and I thank you for the chance to address the points you raised via email. We certainly appreciate your feedback and the opportunity to look closely at the service we provided when you stayed with us. Thank you.

Reviewed 25 July 2014

So we did not need to have a one hour journey home we decided to get a room in Wellington for the night. This Hotel was was in the middle of the shopping area and had plenty of eateries close by. While we would have liked to have parking available there was a football match in town and parking had all gone. No worries as there was a parking option one street away at a much cheaper rate than the hotel could offer. (Under the Hotel Intercontinental) The room rate was cheap for Wellington and we were surprised by the room that we got. It was comfortable and quiet. Though we just seemed like a number to the lobby staff we would use this Hotel again.

1  Thank Theresa C

Thank you very much for your comments. We're sorry the front office team did not take the opportunity to convey a warm welcome. Friendly and efficient service is what we strive to provide, and it seems we fell short when you stayed with us. We apologise and thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Reviewed 23 July 2014

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank amygardiner1975

Reviewed 19 July 2014

This was our 5th time at the Ibis, unbeknown to me, but it said so on the card in our room when we arrived along with a couple of chocolates which were left as well. Thank you to Yulia and your team. We will be back again for sure! And well done to the Tall Blacks on the night!!!

1  Thank Allanh50
IbisWellington, Manager at ibis Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

Thank you for your feedback, which I have shared with Yulia and our team here at ibis Wellington. Yes, it was a great to see the Tall Blacks kick off the series with a win. We're pleased you enjoyed the small gift, which was a simple thank you for staying with us on multiple occasions. We do understand that you have a number of choices available to you in the city and we don't take your patronage for granted. We appreciate your support. Thank you again !

Reviewed 17 July 2014 via mobile

Great location, was central and within walking distance to attractions and many cafes and shopping. value for money and a comfortable stay. Friendly staff, would stay here again. Rooms are simple but comfortable

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Liddy J

Thank you very much for your feedback. We are very pleased to know you will stay with us at ibis Wellington, again.