“Good value, great location”
Review of West Plaza Hotel

West Plaza Hotel
Ranked #19 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Good value, great location”
Reviewed 9 April 2013

West Plaza is in an excellent location for business or leisure in central Wellington. The public areas in the hotel are understated quality and very pleasant. The rooms are simply furnished but modern, clean and well maintained. Rooms are also of moderate size and equipped with all the basics required. The restaurant offers a good choice of meals and servings are more than adequate. This is not a high end hotel but for the price it is excellent value and I return happily regularly.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
WestPlazaNZ, General Manager at West Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Thanks for your comments, its always great to hear when guests have enjoyed their stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again at the West Plaza Hotel Wellington.

Julie Wilcock,

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (89)
  • Thai first
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed 8 April 2013

This hotel is very well located and is cheap for where it is. I had my travel booked through our corporate travel agent. However, there were two major things that disappointed me and related to poor standards hence the reason I will not return.

I checked in late and once I got to my room saw the note stating I could call reception for fresh milk. I think I should be offered this as I check in. When I got to my room I pulled back the bed spread and there were stains on the underside and it had clearly not been laundered - there were also stains on one of the pillows (I wonder if they recycled after a single guest had used the room?) and hairs that were not min (I have short hair, these were long) on the underside of the cover. Already disappointed by the state of the bed but having to work, I went to make a cup of tea only to find that a small amount of water had been left in the jug and it had gone stagnant. It is not my job to clean this and I was by then (rightfully I think) annoyed so I stuck to water from my own water bottle and worked.

I did fill out a complaint form with these issues and this was mid last week, no-one has emailed or responded. had the receptionist asked about my stay on checkout, I would have said but, I was not asked. I have never rated a hotel a 1 but, cleanliness is important to me and I value a cup of tea when I am working.

Things had started well - the receptionist was accommodating when I requested a late checkout. unfortunately the internet I had did not extend as well so I had to pay for an extra day. in the end I left as soon as I was able and I will advise our travel agents as the standard was not acceptable.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Firstly I would like to apologise that you have not yet heard from me.
I did receive your comments last week and I was waiting for a response from Housekeeping and my Assistant Manager before I responded to you.
I agree that your experience at the hotel was simply not good enough and I have spoken with all of the staff involved. We are currently making changes. We are also crediting your second internet charge directly with your travel agent. We also agree with your comments about the internet and are currently talking with our internet supplier in order to change the cut off time for later checkouts.
Once again I apologise that your experience was not up to our usual standard. I appreciate your feedback it helps us to be better.

Julie Wilcock,

Travellers are raving about these Wellington hotels

San Francisco, California
Reviewed 3 April 2013

The title says it all. The hotel has an absolutely great location in Wellington, but is not a good place to spend a night. Our room was small, not particularly nice, without air conditioning, worn out linens -- and the beds were terrible. We spent two weeks in New Zealand (both north and south islands) and this was our worse night. Hotel beds in New Zealand were generally softer that we like, but this was beyond the pale. Breakfast as average at best and coffee or tea was hard to come by. The hotel charges a high price for wi-fi, but if you step outside the door you discover that downtown Wellington is a free wi-fi zone. It is an unsatisfying feeling to leave a hotel and feel that you were ripped off.

Room Tip: Stay somewhere else. Wellington is a great city with lot of options.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
WestPlazaNZ, General Manager at West Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 7 April 2013
It is a shame to hear that you did not enjoy your stay.
Your preference for a harder bed could have been managed given the opportunity and we will certainly follow up your comments to make changes.
Our Wifi charges are below the majority of other Wellington city hotels.
We are a mid-range value for money property in heart of Wellington and our rooms are priced accordingly.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 3 April 2013

Whilst this hotel claimed to be able to supply me with a gluten-free breakfast prepared separately from its usual breakfast buffet, I had a serious allergic reaction shortly after I ate the eggs, tomatoes and mushroom dish they served me for breakfast. I suspect the meal was gluten contaminated during the preparation or handling processes as the ingredients should have been safe to eat.

Our room was reasonably large, but musty when we first arrived - as though it had been closed up for quite a while. The hotel is cheap and reasonable value for money if you just want to sleep overnight after a late arriving flight and check out the next morning (its 24-hour reception desk was the reason we chose it), but its decor is dated and I wouldn't recommend it for longer stays unless you are on a really tight budget.

Early in the morning, my sleep was interrupted as I could hear through the wall the loud TV being watched by the guests staying in the next room.

Overall, I would not stay at this hotel again, particularly in light of its breakfast.

Room Tip: ask for a room away from the street as the noise of the nearby pub-goers makes its way through the w...
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Your comments are important as they help us to make changes and be better.
I have spoken with the chef and restaurant manager who agree that this is timely reminder that training our staff is the key.
We are currently completing training and making changes in order to better provide for dietary requirements such as yours.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 1 April 2013

While our house is under renovations, we decided to book a night away from the mayhem and stay downtown in our own city. The weekend deal including the full breakfast at the West Plaza was certainly a very reasonable deal for the capital, so it was an easy decision to make. With breakfast taken care of, the idea of room service was a great way to enjoy the in-house movies. I can highly recommend the garlic and thyme wedges - outstanding, hand-cut and very, very tasty. I can see us popping in another time for a glass of wine in the bar and another bowl of wedges!

It was heaven enjoying a spotless bathroom and the mattress was obviously very new and extremely comfortable. The huge range of teas was a real treat as I am a big herb tea fan.

Breakfast hit the spot with a nice selection of fresh fruit, plus an extensive buffet option.

In all, we were looking for comfort and we got this plus more. The staff were charming and welcoming and it was just the break away we needed.

As a local, I could have chosen from a number of hotels, but this represented great value and ticked all the boxes.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
WestPlazaNZ, General Manager at West Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 4 April 2013
We appreciate you making these comments. We are a mid-range value for money property in the heart of Wellington and it’s great to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Your comments will help other travellers choose our hotel.

Many Thanks,

Julie Wilcock
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 March 2013

This hotel is basically opposite the Michael Fowler Centre, and is part of the lower CBD, just around the corner from Lower Cuba Street. There are lots of shops, bars, restaurants, liquor stores, convenience stores, theatres and pretty much everything you need, within walking distance. The hotel doesnt have an airport shuttle but the airport bus stops nearby.
Overall the hotel was in a clean and tidy state. The breakfast staff were attentive and friendly. The full buffet had a wide range of hot and cold food, and in my opinion, was worth it if you are a medium - large eater. The rooms were adequate but could have done with a Sky Watch book so you know whats on TV. Generally the hotel was in good shape.
However the ceilings are low and the rooms feel a bit claustrophobic. Room service trays litter the narrow corridors for most of each day.We also found the front desk (reception) staff lacking. We were served by at least three different people when we were staying, and they were all the same - unenthusiastic, disinterested, and not overly helpful. While they all did their job to adequate levels, after travelling the world and staying in a variety of comfort levels on a variety of budgets, we were just surprised more than anything. We also needed to stay an extra night due to a last minute change in plans but they didnt honour the late checkout we had paid extra for. Considering they were already getting an extra nights tariff from us and the hotel wasnt full, we probably expected too much, but with the late check out thing combined with the overall lack of interest from the reception staff, we didnt really feel like valued customers. We would be unlikely to return for this reason, as there are plenty of other similar competitive hotels in the area.
While our stay was good, it wasnt quite good enough for us to want to come back, so we will try somewhere else next time.
Thanks anyway.

• Stayed March 2013
WestPlazaNZ, General Manager at West Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 1 April 2013
Thanks for your comments we appreciate them. They help us to be better.
I have followed up your concerns this morning and spoken with the staff involved.
I am sorry that our service was not up to our usual standards. As you will see from the many positive reviews on trip advisor this is definitely not our normal standard.

I have also passed on your comments regarding the room service trays so we can make changes and have these collected more frequently.
Your detailed review also highlights some of the many positive aspects of the West Plaza Hotel including our location and the breakfast and it’s good to hear that you enjoyed both of these.

Julie Wilcock, General Manager
australia
Reviewed 14 March 2013

For the price we found the hotel good value, clean and staff attentive especially the house mistress [Lil].Rooms were very quiet but were lacking in cupboard space. It was very central on Wakefield Street and within easy walking to shopping and business areas. Only gripe although very nice was the price charged for breakfast. We went to the little restaurant on the next corner for half the price.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
WestPlazaNZ, General Manager at West Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 18 March 2013
Thanks for your positive comments about the West Plaza Hotel.
It is always good to hear when guests have enjoyed their stay.