“Very comfortable and centrally located.”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of West Plaza Hotel

West Plaza Hotel
Ranked #19 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
“Very comfortable and centrally located.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 February 2014

Very centrally located in the heart of Wellington, close to Cuba Street shopping and dining area. A very comfortable hotel. Service was good and the bedrooms were well appointed. The in house bar was a little expensive but with so many choices nearby, this shouldn't be a problem. Be careful if you are driving a large people carrier as our eight sweater wouldn't fit in the downstairs car park and literally managed to get into the very small ground floor car park by half an inch. A very pleasant stay.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
  • Thai first
New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 February 2014

I had an average night's stay here, with the hotel room being okay but not notable for anything. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom a reasonable size. The carpet had not been vacuumed but the rest of the room was clean. There is a distinct lack of soundproofing so street noise does come through quite clearly, which is a problem for light sleepers such as myself. I mainly chose the hotel for its proximity to the Michael Fowler Centre, where I was attending an event, and a very reasonable room price of $110 on a Saturday night. Despite there being three staff on the desk only one was processing bookings so I had quite a wait to be checked in. The staff member was pleasant and directed me to the elevators and gave instructions on parking (see below).

I attempted to book parking in advance because I knew I would be arriving late in the evening but was told that they don't offer advance bookings. The parking building I was directed to was close by but has a silly rule about needing to buy a new ticket by 8:00 the next morning so it wasn't a very restful sleep because I was worried about oversleeping and having to car towed away - which has happened to me before. Definitely detracted from the experience and I'd only return if I knew I'd be arriving early enough in the day to have a good chance of being able to get a hotel car park.

Room Tip: I was on the third floor and there was a lot of street noise. Perhaps a room on a higher level would...
  • Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
WestPlazaNZ, General Manager at West Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 6 February 2014
Thanks for your feedback it’s good to have the details of your experience so we can look at ways to be better. We are currently looking at a solution with the Car parking building next door in order to make it easier for guests to use this service when our car park is full. Due to our limited parking facilities we are unable to guarantee on site car parking.

Regards

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

This was a reasonably priced night. The room was fine, everything worked. View of a car park to be expected. Room was clean, bed comfortable. As always, I'd settle for a single towel, not 7....but that is a common theme in hotels. Lively lobby and bar, which is welcoming. Location on Wakefield is perfect for waterfront, museum, Cuba st etc. I'd stay here again.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Craig L
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 January 2014

Comfortable, pleasant and well-lit room in a good location. We just needed a place to crash for the night and this fit the bill perfectly. The grand piano in the foyer is a nice touch; as musicians we enjoyed playing it (with permission from friendly hotel staff).

• Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
Poole, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2014

Hotel is brilliantly located for exploring Wellington, just 5 mins walk to waterfront and about 10 mins to cable car. Room was ok, clean and tidy but nothing exciting. Staff were very nice and helpful.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
WestPlazaNZ, General Manager at West Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 12 January 2014
Thanks for your comments about the hotels location and the friendly staff, they are appreciated. We are a mid-range value for money hotel located in the heart of the city and your feedback helps us to be better.

Regards,

Luxembourg City, Luxembourg
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2014 via mobile

We had a room booked for 2 nights in West Plaza and granted we did not expect a fancy boutique hotel for the price of the room, but we did expect a 4 star hotel as advertised. However, when we got in the room it was pretty clear that some of the 4 stars were missing. The air-conditioning unit had 1cm thick layer of dust on it, so there was no way you would want to switch the thing on. The shelves in the room and in the bathroom had not been recently cleaned either! We were shown another room, but unfortunately it had pretty much the same issues.
To their credit we could leave the establishment without paying any cancellation fee.

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple
We appreciate your feedback and apologise that the hotel was not up to our usual standard. As discussed with you at the time, we had just completed a full refurbishment of the hotel lobby and the dust created from this project was worse than anticipated. I do apologise that the rooms you were given had not been checked prior to your arrival. This error was simply not good enough and I have spoken to Housekeeping regarding this issue.

Regards

Julie Wilcock

Travellers are raving about these Wellington hotels

Dunedin, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2013

The westplaza has probably seen better days but overall I would say it is a pretty good place to stay for business. The staff were always pleasant and that is a big thing. There are two things I did not like. I stayed a week and found that my room rate varied up and down for the same room and whether breakfast was included varied too. They clearly leapt on the charge people more when rooms were at a premium in the city! This is not good enough as I only found out one day going down to breakfast that I had to pay for it. How is one supposed to budget. And with regard to breakfast the dining space is too small and the breakfast below par. It was the same old fare, no variation, the fruit tasted a little off, and when the hotel was full the lack of space was very apparent as was the lack of table staff as they struggled to clear tables. And one young man clearly hated his job - smiles would not hurt.Lastly, I stayed in two separate rooms as I went back after a weekend. the first room was for hobbits - if I had leapt in the air I would have smacked my head on the beams ... very pokey indeed for the money it was costing.

Room Tip: Try not to have a front facing room.
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
WestPlazaNZ, Manager at West Plaza Hotel, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Thanks for your comments it’s always good to receive feedback as it helps us be better at what we do. We are currently undergoing a complete refurbishment of the restaurant and lobby area which we intend to have completed mid February 2014.This will hopefully solve the space issue,and will result in an improvement in the food and beverage offering.With regard to our pricing policy , our supply and demand price points are similar to most other service industry suppliers. I do apologise that your breakfast inclusions were not as clear as they should have been and will speak to the front office staff about this. Once again thank for your comments.

Julie Wilcock GM