“Wouldn't recommend ”
Review of Lodge in the City

Lodge in the City
Reviewed 23 April 2014 via mobile

Got lucky that they had overbooked us, so we got to stay in a private.. Don't think we would of been able to put up with a dorm here anyway. Only stayed for 1 night but didn't feel like it was a very comfortable hostel, very dirty! The pool tables are completely useless, the wifi is a couple more dollars that anywhere else we have stayed and the kitchen it always messy. The location is quite good though. Other than that, didn't really enjoy our stay.

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 April 2014

This place is an absolute health hazard. Communal bathrooms are filthy, rooms have dirt all over the walls, everything is covered in a load of grime. The smell hits you as soon as you walk in the door. Was woken up in the middle of the night because two people decided to have a full on fight with doors slamming etc, heard it all from our very un-soundproof room. Had to stick this place out for a couple of nights, then went to the YHA, which was like a haven of cleanliness. Definitely worth the extra $20.

Service wasn't too bad, the girl at the counter was lovely when I asked for a refund on our final nights. But please, DON'T STAY HERE. Wish I had read the reviews before booking this place last minute. WORST BACKPACKER EXPERIENCE EVER.

Room Tip: Just don't.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ErinDwyer11
Reviewed 23 February 2014

Avoid at all costs, worst hostel ever. Dirty, smelly and horrid! Wish I'd looked at the reviews before I rush booked it! Rediculous service - room key didn't work. It's a nasty place that should be closed down! Bathrooms (communal) covered in dirt and hair etc, toilets all blocked. People crammed on entrance steps drinking and smoking alsorts of stuff! Full of unfriendly rejects of life! You couldn't pay me to go back!!!!

Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Backpacker S
Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

Staff were friendly and location was good (city centre) with parking. The room itself seemed clean enough. However the bathrooms were absolutely foul - possibly the dirtiest I have ever seen in all my years of travelling! So much so that I did not want to shower at all. Luckily I was only staying one night and have booked other accommodation when I back in Wellington in a couple of weeks. Try to find somewhere else if you can.

Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank ttashy
Reviewed 1 February 2014 via mobile

This is the worst backpackers accommodation I've ever seen!

The building is falling apart, it's dirty, filthy and creepy.
The room was a joke, the window didn't close, the sheets were stained, the shared bathroom was in horrible conditions. It seemed all guests were drunk and high. And noisy till morning.
We paid 81nz$ for the double room and they were the 80 dollars worst spent ever.
the day after that for just 7 dollars more we slept in a nice and clean hotel with private bathroom and free WiFi closer to the center!

Backpacking doesn't mean you are a drunk pig ready to be reaped off.

If you sleep in you car or in a tent in the park will have a more comfortable night.
Don't go there!

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank FedandRos
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Not the worst hostel I've ever stayed in. The staff were pretty friendly, there was a lot of space and the room was ok. It's in quite a good location near Cuba St too.

It just really needs a good scrub. A coat of paint, refurbishment of the bathrooms so they don't look so bad and a much, much better kitchen. The kitchen needed more bins as the rubbish was always piled up despite the cleaning girl doing her best and there weren't enough pots and things. Was really noisy too with people running around shouting at all hours but it's a hostel so what can you do?

All in all, a bit ropey but you could do worse.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank walkthisland
Reviewed 12 January 2014

This is a copy of the email sent to the Manager of the Hostel today...............

Good Morning,

I searched last night online for the best rates for single private rooms as the motel I had organised to stay in, sold my room to someone else by mistake.

I found your hostel and came in and booked in person at the desk at around 9pm last night at the rate of $53.00 for the night. I have to say it was my worst experience ever in staying in a Hostel in NZ or Australia and I have stayed at many hostels and backpacker accommodation before.

The lady at reception did not give me any direction as to where the bathrooms were. I also specifically asked for a room at the quiet side of the building as I had been travelling for 2 days and was exhausted. Also I was not even asked for my phone number or if I required a carpark.

I then went out and came back in with my bag and was annoyed at the front entrance steps by some of your very drunk guests. They thought it was funny to block the way so that I could not get through and then when I asked and said “excuse me please” they decided that was funny and continued to hassle me until I got inside. This is ridiculous that you let your guests sit outside the front steps drinking alcohol and smoking drugs and cigarettes.

I then tried to use the lift to go to my room but the button on the wall seemed to be broken, so I instead took the stairs, which was totally fine.

I got to my room and found the curtains hanging off the wall, so I spent the next few minutes climbing on a chair trying to fix them, so I could at least close the curtains, which did not work fully.
There were huge carpet stains in my room and it looked like they had not been cleaned at all in a while.
I then went to use the bathroom and the whole bathroom area, including where the sinks are, was covered in water all over the floor, which firstly is a hazard and secondly causes bacteria and fungal infections such as athletes foot – pretty disgusting really.
Most of the cold taps did not work either.

I then went back to my room and thought I would try to get a good nights sleep. Well I finally got to sleep at 2am this morning after a huge amount of noise. The noise was so bad in the bathroom next door, coming through my wall, from the washing machines, dryers, people making so much noise and slamming doors all night. I asked for a quiet room and it would have been nice for your staff to even offer me a room that was not right next to the bathroom causing so much noise for me.

I understand that hostels are aimed at the backpacker market and that you have a lot of travellers coming through, but surely you can monitor noise levels and stop people from using the washing machines and driers right through to 2am in the morning. Or maybe put them in the downstairs area of the hostel near the kitchens, to help reduce noise.

Also there were your guests coming through the hallways at night banging on doors and slamming doors with no respect for others. I felt pretty unsafe there too as there was no security to stop the general public from just walking up onto any of the floors and into the bathrooms where women were getting changed and using showers.

I would really appreciate it if you could refund me my money due to the horrible stay I had at your hostel.

I am from Wellington but had to move out of my flat before Christmas as my landlord had sold the house. I only arrived back into Wellington late last night and have to try and find short term accommodation until I can find another house to rent. I really hoped that my stay at your hostel was going to be okay or enough that I could at least have a good nights sleep, so it was really disappointing to have the stay I had.

Room Tip: Definitely try not to get a room next to the bathrooms as it was so noisy and I suppose a room at th...
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo