“!!!!! AMAZING PLACE TO STAY!!!!”
Review of Hotel St George

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Wellington
Hotel St George
“!!!!! AMAZING PLACE TO STAY!!!!”
Reviewed 28 August 2014

We lived here from December 2011 until August 2014. The only reason we moved is because we moved overseas, otherwise they wouldn't of been able to get rid of us! This place has no words to explain how fantastic everything here is...but we will give it a go. Firstly it is right in the center of the city and close to EVERYTHING, price is fantastic and rooms are large and come complete with furniture. The shared kitchen and lounge facility is the best place to meet a tone of people and we sure did that, we have friends from all over the world and we never would have never met them if we had not lived at Hotel St George. The building is safe and secure and the management are fantastic! Bruce, Yong and Sohan are a fantastic team and they really make this hotel a fantastic place to live. St George will not be a place that you will just stay, but a place that where you will find people you can call your family. Check out their Facebook page for yourself and the pictures will tell you all you need to know :) :). We miss you all there, but we will surely never forget you! Thanks for the best times of our lives!!!!!

Room Tip: Fantastic place to make friends from all over the world and a great place to make a network if looki...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Felicia B
Bruce C, Manager at Hotel St George, responded to this review, 28 August 2014
Dear Felicia - Thank you for the fabulous review. We have had many great tenants stay with us and you were one of them. Always with a big simile and a good morning everyday. We hope you are having fun in Melbourne and have found a great place to live.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Reviewed 4 August 2014

Hi there. My stay at St George Hotel was a good one. Bruce the Manager, is one the best Landlords I have had in the 30+ years of renting accommodation. Had 5 months there and got to know some lovely tenants. St George Hotel is very central and good for guests who do not know Wellington very well, close to everything in the City. Thank you Bruce for having me stay at your Hotel. May the rest of the year be a grand one for you.
Cheers - Susan

Room Tip: To choose your room just ask Bruce
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Bruce C, General Manager at Hotel St George, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
Dear Susan - Thank you for your kind words and your review. It is always sad when a good tenant leaves, I am sure some of the other living here will miss your simile face too. We wish you well in your new place and please pop in and say hi sometime. Regards Bruce
Reviewed 24 June 2014

It has been my home for almost a year in Wellington! Cheap, in the middle of town. People are great, good environment, friendly staff: everytime i needed something, they helped me.
I recommend this place, if you are travelling it is the best option to stay for a few months. Better than a average hostel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Bruce C, Manager at Hotel St George, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Chris - Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. We wish you the best in the rest of your travels. Regards Bruce & Yong
Shanghai, China
Reviewed 29 April 2014

I was living in hotel saint george almost 2 years , not simply because the good location ( sitting in very central wellington ) and the reasonable price . The most important things are the nice managers and the good management , make my feeling always good . I meaning when we are living in the foreign country , long terms or short term , never easy , sometimes homesick , i really thanks so much the hotel is two kindness mangers , they help me lots , like friends , like family . Thank you so much

Room Tip: There are different type of room for choice , the hotel manger will try to give you the best , somet...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Bruce C, Manager at Hotel St George, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Shangxi - Thank you for writing us a review - We hope you have settled in back at home. Regards Bruce and Yong
Reviewed 7 April 2014

St George isn't a hostel/hotel designed for travellers only staying for a few days/weeks. There's a minimum stay policy as it's very much aimed at those staying in Wellington for medium-long term. It does this extremely well!

I stayed there for approx 12 months so had a good year round experience of what the place is like. It's right in the middle of the CBD with everything on it's doorstep. 20 second walk to bus stops, post office, bars, pubs, restaurants and more. It's situated on the junction of Manners St and Willis St. Also opposite the immigration offices which may be helpful to some! With so much that goes on in Wellington (especially in the summertime) being in this location is priceless.

First off, everybody staying there is pretty much in the same boat. Staying at least a few months and looking for work/working/work experience, and then there's the students in the term time. This creates an atmosphere that you wouldn't get in a regular hostel. Everybody is very friendly, very accommodating and welcoming into their homes (some people have been here for years).

There are people from all over the world, I met people from France, Malaysia, China, Chile, Argentina, Brazil, Spain, Germany, India, Sri Lanka and more. There's an awesome mix of people and you're guaranteed to learn something new every day from them, whether it's a favourite local dish or a favourite dance move!

The St George is a extremely secure place to live, with key-card access into the main doors, and then again in the elevator to access the different floors. There's also locked doors to each floor up the stairwell too. The rooms themselves have very secure locks too.

There are some small offices rented out on the first floor (barely noticeable as a tenant), common areas on 2nd floor, then the rest (8 in total I think) are accommodation. There's single beds in 2/3/4 bed rooms, double rooms, twin rooms and I think some single rooms too.

The rooms are priced perfectly. You'd be hard pushed to find a roomshare/flatshare with bills included for a similar price per person (My experience was with another person in a double room), but if you did find one, you probably wouldn't get the great location and security of this place. Most people who arrive stay for a long long time.

The rooms/interiors themselves aren't anything fancy and could probably do with some TLC, but with a building of this size and rooms at these prices, you couldn't expect it! Besides, if you're backpacking you shouldn't be expecting Hilton Standard rooms! Everything works great including the very welcome central heating (mains radiators in all rooms), TV aerial sockets, power sockets and all bathroom fittings worked great too. The water pressure makes for a lovely shower!

There's WiFi for an extra charge too which I found to be plenty fast enough and very reasonably priced once I'd realised how much you Kiwi's are charged for broadband over there! Oh, and it's up to Earthquake proof building code, so don't worry! The laundry room on the 3rd floor is plenty but try and avoid Sunday laundry as you may have to wait for a machine for a little while. $2 for a wash and $2 for tumble dry (All large industrial machines).

There's a small kitchenette on each floor with hot water dispenser and fridge/freezers, and on the 2nd floor there's also a landline telephone that tenants can use for calls free of charge (just don't take the mick!). Great little touch.

The rooms are warm all year round too. The windows are a bit old and battered with single pane glass, but the radiators more than make up for that. If you're a light sleeper I'd suggest asking for a room at the back away from Willis Street. Skateboarders on the block-paving sound like oncoming Fighter jets and general noise can be a bit loud at night. The beeping of the crossings were something I got used to very quickly!

The kitchen/common area is great. It's big, kept clean and well looked after and the facilities do the job. There's lots of shelving and fridge space for your food-boxes, all you need it a box and a cool-bag. There's no proper ovens or any gas stove-tops (Just rows of electric hot-plates) which takes a little getting used to, but once you've figured out meals that work well with the equipment then it's not a problem. In very busy times of the year it's sometimes hard to get hold of what you need, but I only ever had to wait 10-15 minutes to or so. I'd recommend getting down there earlier rather than later if you want to beat the crowd. A lot of cultures eat their evening dinners later than us Brits, so I found going down around 5.30/6 was always much quieter than around 7/8pm.

The kitchen is at one end of a very large common area, which has a TV room, a pool table, table tennis, lots of books, a desktop computer to hire, Lots of seating with TVs for eating at, and also smaller games like chess and checkers. There's also vending machines for those who don't fancy cooking.

The staff here are brilliant. The manager and assistant were always super friendly, helpful and accommodating. The desk is manned most hours of the day and they're always available to help during non-desk hours as many of the staff live on-site. Whenever we had something to discuss/suggest/request from the management they were always keen to help out and always did their best to keep us happy with our stay. The staff here are definitely part of the Hotel St George family and do their best to keep everyone content! It's also clear that they work very hard too. There's only a handful of staff keeping this place running, all of which probably deserve a nice pay-rise!

I've recommended this place to many people and I probably always will! I have fond memories here whether it's from simply staying in in the warm watching TV on stormy days, or the big parties held for tenants birthdays (thrown by other tenants). You simply cannot beat the location, the comforts or the security provided.

Good job St George! Thanks for everything!

Room Tip: Rear rooms are probably quieter from street noise!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Megatonks
Bruce C, Manager at Hotel St George, responded to this review, 25 June 2014
Dear Dan - What can I say - Thank you so much for this amazing review, so instructive and everyone should be well informed about staying at Hotel St George. Thanks again and all the best. Bruce.
Reviewed 4 February 2014 via mobile

I had a great stay at HSG when I was exploring the option of moving back from the US to live in NZ. It's in a great location in the heart of Wellington's CBD, and the staff and other guests--most of them in NZ for working holidays--were welcoming and friendly.

There's a big communal kitchen and lounge, where they hold regular social events. I was there for Halloween and Diwali celebrations. And each floor has a little kitchen area with fridge and sink.

I had a room with ensuite, and it was great for my needs. Bonus points for plenty of hot water at any time of day.

The classy foyer doesn't represent the decor of the rest of the hotel, which is homey, but for a comfortable (and fun) stay, I recommend HSG.

Plus there's a Tardis in the building! (I'm guessing it's a remnant from the 90s, when scifi conventions were held there.)

Stayed November 2013, travelled solo
Bruce C, General Manager at Hotel St George, responded to this review, 5 February 2014
Dear Lea B - Thank you for taking the time to write us a review. Our Tardis is a public phone booth for our tenants to make local calls or calls using a calling card. Thank you for staying with us in this lovely city - Wellington. Regards Bruce.
Reviewed 8 December 2013

I arrived in Wellington this past winter wanting to live the kiwi lifestyle of the capital city and since I checked into Hotel St George my luck changed; I got myself a job and got to know a lot of new people that within time became Family. If you plan to stay long In the city this is your place.
Facts are location is great, rates are good, facilities are well mantained and staff is more than helpful.
Thanks Bruce, Yong and Zohan you guys are great.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled solo
Hi Juan - Thanks for your review. We wish you well on the rest of your travels. Regards Bruce