“Nice staff, but needs to improve cleanness.”

Wellington - World Wide Backpackers
Wellington - World Wide Backpackers
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Nice staff, but needs to improve cleanness.”
Reviewed 21 July 2011

We arrived late in the evening and the reception was still open, We found this one of the most expensive hostels in our road trip around NZ, we paid 27pp pn (the rest were around 23). The receptionist was really friendly and helpful, and after a quick visit around the city and no vacancy in other hostels, We decided to stay there for 2 nights. We booked in a shared 6 bed dorm. The dorm was fine, the linen and bedding clean. I little bit humid, but the room had a heater and a dehumidifier.
Walking distance to main attractions and restaurants area.
Although we did not try it because we were carrying our own stuff, free breakfast (coffee, tea, milk and cereals) is an advantage for the backpacker.
The bathrooms were very dirty, mould everywhere, dark and smelly. I rather not to see towels instead of the dirty ones that were there. This is a weak point that they should improve.
Another thing that called my attention and made me feel insecure was what they called "The gipsy corner" (or something like that). My room had a view to this improvised "gipsy camp". My room was just one step away. I did´t sleep with the window open cause I didn´t feel safe. I spoke with long term guests and they told me that I was fine, that nothing ever happened, but still it doesn´t look nice for casual guests.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
mumbai
Reviewed 18 April 2011

this place offers really nice boutique rooms with lovely comfy bed/bedding, but the kitchen/bathrooms are really dirty and gross and you also have to put up with a lot of noise at night.... we stayed on a friday night and there was a party in the corridor/kitchen all night we did not sleep a wink.... depends what you want to do, great for partying, bad for relaxing

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
Steyr
Reviewed 31 January 2011

I stayed at the World Wide Backpackers in December 2010. I had booked a three share room on the phone and was assured that was possible. When I got there at around 1am due to my late flight, I was not only surprised to find the whole hostel partying, but also to be put in a 6-share room instead of the promised 3-share. I don't have to mention that getting to sleep wasn't easy given the noise that went on almost through the night. The next morning I was asked to make a 20 dollar key deposit. When I left 4 days later, however, I couldn't get my deposit back, because the reception was still closed at 9:30 am and I had a boat to catch. When I called and asked for the money to be transferred to my credit card account again I got another promise... - but not the money - luckily I was able to get it personally a month later as I was passing through Wellington again. I met a girl the same day whom I had met at that very backpackers - when I told her about my problems concerning the refund of my key deposit she said:"Oh, he always does that..." - she had been there longer...
beside all that the hostel was quite dirty and as my experience shows unorganized -
I was on the road for 4 months - this was the worst place I stayed at!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank nesan011
xavier7873, Owner at Wellington - World Wide Backpackers, responded to this review, 11 April 2011
We take a key deposit if you are staying longer than a day. It was unfortunate that the office was closed at 930am as it usually opens earlier. On this day I must have been held up for some unforseen reason. We advise backpackers that if they are leaving early to tell us and we give the key deposit back the night before. We can pay the key deposit into a NZ bank account. This customer gave me a foreign bank account and i cant transfer the key deposit into that. I can send it to an NZ address but she did not give me one.

Travellers are raving about these Wellington hotels

Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 December 2010

I stayed here for two nights and then left as it was such a nasty place to stay! it was messy, dirty, and so noisy! The bathrooms didnt have hot water at times, and the staff were super unfriendly and not helpful at all. The rooms were basic but really dirty and they all have a very strange smell! Go somewhere else if in Wellington!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank onlyonedream
xavier77, Manager at Wellington - World Wide Backpackers, responded to this review, 30 January 2011
We are a small backpacker that provides a safe and friendly environment for BACKPACKERS we do not cater for those wanting quiet upmarket accomodation. Our guests thrive in meeting others and sharing stories of their journeys together. Yes sometimes when you share a room with people that have camped and tramped you won't get a good smell from their clothing but hey! If you are not looking for quiet, no noise, pay a lot more and you will get it elsewhere! WE enjoy our backpackers company!
Uk
Reviewed 10 December 2010

This hostel was probably one of the dirtiest I stayed in !
I stayed in a dorm there which was pretty basic but fit with the price. On arrival i had to open the window because of the smell. The ladies were absolutely horrible and dirty at its best !!! Towels were all over the floor (due to flooding when you are taking a shower) and then put back as hand towels !!!
The kitchen is disgusting with bins over filled !
The wi-fi is not really good !
The good thing was the location and the staff is actually really nice!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Canada
Reviewed 23 March 2010

We stayed in a double room here, and the room & bed were actually quite good. They also provided toast, spreads, cereal & milk in the morning for free, as well as two computers with free internet access (though you needed to wait in line for a while, and there's no wifi).

The shared facilities, however, mainly the kitchen & the bathrooms were the worst we saw in NZ. There were not enough cups or glasses available, so when people could get their hands on one, they would then keep it for themselves instead of washing it and placing it on the shelves. We actually saw girls drinking water out of soup plates like dogs because they couldn't find glasses.
Kitchen and the only dinner table are tiny, as well as the tv room.
The number washrooms & showers is also completely inadequate for the number of beds and they're in need of a facelift.

The noise outside our room did stop at a decent hour, but that might've been because people ended up going to a bar (it was a weekend). I can see how it could've been a serious issue for others.

All in all, we were glad to have arrived late and left early.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Christchurch
Reviewed 27 September 2009

This accomodation is cheap and scungey. The toilets and showers are dirty. It is a party house; noisy at night with drunk people drinking on the veranda, slamming doors which make the room and beds reverberate; yelling; sheets and duvet thin and washed out; rooms so small it is difficult to move about – we were in a three bed room and could really only have 2 people standing up and moving about at any one time; there was only two beds (bunk type) with the third bed being a mattress on a ledge arrangement above the door!

The ad says boutique accommodation; crisp linen sheets ! spacious and nicely decorated! Full length mirror! Warm and cosy

This the information I read the internet and also received as an information brochure in my booking confirmation email from you. It is lies!

Shame on them. What a poor reputation overseas travellers must have of NZ. There was a baby staying there last night – no situation for a child. Randoms in sleeping bags on sofas in TV room; non guests wandering around the house at 4am

• Stayed September 2009, travelled with friends