“Terrible hostel with disgusting owner and Management”

Wellington - World Wide Backpackers
and 1 more site!
Wellington - World Wide Backpackers
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights. When I checked in the room was musty and stunk of feet. They handled the problem as if we caused it saying t
Must be our towels that were hanging in there. The bathroom floor
Is missin and toilet seats were broken. Had not
Been cleaned or attended to in ages. The next day he handed out big feedback forms and obviously didn't like what he read so he decided to accuse me
Personally of writing bad reviews when in fact
I hadn't even turned one in yet. Never had an owner of a hospitality establishment get aggressive with me ever until now. S
The owner also asked me of
My
Nationality and after I gave him a false
Nationality he went on
To speak of it in a derogatory manner. This guy is unfit I run a bath let alone a hostel. Dirty dingy dark place. I HIGHLY ADVISE
STAYING AWAY FEOM THIS PLACE AND IF YOUR READING ANDI YIU CAN EXPECT
A FOEMAL
COMPLAINT FOR YOUR RUDE AND OFFENSIVE BEHAVIOR.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Aesteticvoyager

Reviewed 14 January 2012

I stayed here for two months last year, I found it to be a great place, good beds, nice breakfast, and fast Internet.

The stay is more like staying at home than a hotel, which is what I like.

It can be noisy with people parting, but it's a awsome atmosphere.

I am returning this year and this place is my choice to stay.

Dave

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Dave B
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Dirty, noisy, rude...will I go on.!! We made the mistake of staying here for 1 night.(thank God wasn't longer) We booked a double room which was outside beside the smoking area. We went out that night, came back around 2.30am. Woke up at 4 with the noise outside, not only from other guests but from the Owner/receptionist-how professional!!!!
We found him very rude, especially the next morning. The bathroom was disgusting-couldn't wait to get out of it.!!
Honestly do the owners never read the reviews.!!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank noddy82
Reviewed 7 September 2011

I booked this hostel in February 2011 for 4 nights commencing the 7th October for three people. One of the reasons I booked was the flexibility of the cancellation policy which was "one night’s accommodation if cancelled within 48 hours of arrival or no show" This policy was on their website (bookings), their brochure and also on my booking voucher. Due to a change of plans I notified them on the 3rd September (over a months notice) that we would not be able to stay. They confirmed this on the same day only to follow up with a separate e mail saying that due to the Rugby World Cup their policy was to charge 1 night accommodation. Nowhere is this displayed and I was not advised. Their excuse was that they had turned people away and could have charged double the price. They ignored the fact that if this was the case due to the shortage of rooms during that period they would actually benefit from re-letting the room! They then processed a credit card payment without my authorisation for one night ($87 NZ) and have ignored my e mails demanding an immediate refund. I am now forced to ask my credit card company to deal with this as an unauthorised transaction/dispute.
The Manager has obviously decided to make up his own booking rules "ad hoc" irrespective of normal business and legal procedures. If their approach to running the accommodation is the same as their business dealings I am glad we are not staying.......beware!!!

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank CheddarJack
Reviewed 21 July 2011

We arrived late in the evening and the reception was still open, We found this one of the most expensive hostels in our road trip around NZ, we paid 27pp pn (the rest were around 23). The receptionist was really friendly and helpful, and after a quick visit around the city and no vacancy in other hostels, We decided to stay there for 2 nights. We booked in a shared 6 bed dorm. The dorm was fine, the linen and bedding clean. I little bit humid, but the room had a heater and a dehumidifier.
Walking distance to main attractions and restaurants area.
Although we did not try it because we were carrying our own stuff, free breakfast (coffee, tea, milk and cereals) is an advantage for the backpacker.
The bathrooms were very dirty, mould everywhere, dark and smelly. I rather not to see towels instead of the dirty ones that were there. This is a weak point that they should improve.
Another thing that called my attention and made me feel insecure was what they called "The gipsy corner" (or something like that). My room had a view to this improvised "gipsy camp". My room was just one step away. I did´t sleep with the window open cause I didn´t feel safe. I spoke with long term guests and they told me that I was fine, that nothing ever happened, but still it doesn´t look nice for casual guests.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 April 2011

this place offers really nice boutique rooms with lovely comfy bed/bedding, but the kitchen/bathrooms are really dirty and gross and you also have to put up with a lot of noise at night.... we stayed on a friday night and there was a party in the corridor/kitchen all night we did not sleep a wink.... depends what you want to do, great for partying, bad for relaxing

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 January 2011

I stayed at the World Wide Backpackers in December 2010. I had booked a three share room on the phone and was assured that was possible. When I got there at around 1am due to my late flight, I was not only surprised to find the whole hostel partying, but also to be put in a 6-share room instead of the promised 3-share. I don't have to mention that getting to sleep wasn't easy given the noise that went on almost through the night. The next morning I was asked to make a 20 dollar key deposit. When I left 4 days later, however, I couldn't get my deposit back, because the reception was still closed at 9:30 am and I had a boat to catch. When I called and asked for the money to be transferred to my credit card account again I got another promise... - but not the money - luckily I was able to get it personally a month later as I was passing through Wellington again. I met a girl the same day whom I had met at that very backpackers - when I told her about my problems concerning the refund of my key deposit she said:"Oh, he always does that..." - she had been there longer...
beside all that the hostel was quite dirty and as my experience shows unorganized -
I was on the road for 4 months - this was the worst place I stayed at!

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank nesan011
xavier7873, Owner at Wellington - World Wide Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2011

We take a key deposit if you are staying longer than a day. It was unfortunate that the office was closed at 930am as it usually opens earlier. On this day I must have been held up for some unforseen reason. We advise backpackers that if they are leaving early to tell us and we give the key deposit back the night before. We can pay the key deposit into a NZ bank account. This customer gave me a foreign bank account and i cant transfer the key deposit into that. I can send it to an NZ address but she did not give me one.