Wellington - World Wide Backpackers
Wellington - World Wide Backpackers
Reviewed 17 September 2012

Stayed a week . What a great city .. Accommodation and company was fantastic. Met some great characters . Owner very friendly and helpful ... Will definately be back. .. Thanks Andy and the team. See ya on The return

• Stayed: September 2012

Reviewed 17 August 2012

It was a weird one staying here - read the reviews before arriving, and thought i'd give it a go as it was one of the cheapest and had a free breakfast. I can see it has potential, and perhaps was once a good place to be, but i really think that sadly, the owners have just lost the passion for it.

I arrived ontime as indicated when i booked, around 7pm, and there was a rather shady and chavvy looking guy sat outside looking having a smoke right outside the front door - sorry mate, but it was a bit disconcerting, i myself smoke, but never in an entrance way - certainly not where i work! He didn't identify himself as working there, just started asking me whether i'd just arrived, where i'd come from if i was checking in etc. Reception was all closed up and i managed to find my key in an envelope on the desk - i didn't think 7pm was late, and it wasn't a great welcome to be honest.Would have been nice to have been made aware of the fact that reception closes at 6pm, and just to have been given some direction in advance - small things really.

Suffice to say i had no idea where my room was or which direction to go in, would be great if u guys could put some signs up? Even just saying where the kitchen/tv room/bathrooms are! I eventually found my room downstairs, sorry to say it did smell pretty feety and it was super noisy. The bathroom was just GROSS - absolutely no excuse for that kind of inattention (not going to go into details, dirty bathroom is fairly self explanatory), backpackers or otherwise. The kitchen it not much better i'm afraid. I'm a strong believer in broken window theory - if you have a nice looking place, people will treat it with respect. If u have a grotty looking place, don't expect people to look after it.

Free breakfast...hmm. A couple of packets of bread, some margarine and a jar of jam, and three tubs of cereal. Now, i certainly would't expect much more given that its free, but could you not work on presentation a little bit?!

Good points - free internet (was pretty slow tho and doesnt work downstairs), individual reading lights and a big mirror in each dorm room.

It wasn't the worst place i've ever stayed, but it was probably the worst i've encountered in NZ which usually has exceptionally high standards of hospitality. Compared to where i moved to for the rest of my stay in Wellington - Trek Global, just off Willis St - this place needs some serious investment and love, not to mention a little staff training Certainly wouldn't stay here again.

(Lodge Manager in Tongariro National Park)

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank imogenbailey
Reviewed 15 July 2012

I don't understand why this hostel has such poor ratings, our stay there this month was absolutely fantastic. First of all the manager happily accommodated the extra person we had in our room at a short notice, which was great. Reception was closed when we arrived but we were welcomed with a nice note and copies of our room key (: Was very relaxed with half our party arriving early and another half arriving later and such. The toilets/showers were clean, nowhere near as dirty as these reviews made them out to be, and everything was in working order. The heater in the room worked really well and the beds were comfy. Considering that it was a six person dorm the room was pretty spacious and had a huge chest of drawers to put everything in. Can be a little hard to get to sleep because of noise that guests make but this doesn't normally go too late. The kitchen upstairs was well stocked and roomy, enough for multiple people to cook at once. Sometimes a bit dirty but that's mostly from bad guests who don't do their dishes! Nice outside area, lounge and dining room areas too, and the two computers available with internet was a nice touch. Only problem was the wifi didn't always reach down to the lower level of rooms but not really a big issue. Breakfast was put out on the kitchen bench each morning which was really lovely to wake up to, and not having to worry about breakfast was ace! Both the managers were really lovely and accommodating and I would definitely stay here again anytime I'm next in Wellington and I really cannot understand why this great place has some shocking reviews! Don't let them make you decide to not stay in one of the best backpackers in Wellington!

Room Tip: Queen room was very nice, had sink and comfy chair in it. Rooms downstairs generally seemed quieter.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 July 2012

We had a great time here and met lots of nice people. The management were friendly and went out of their way to help us. Free bonuses such as wifi internet and breakfast. Great place to stay.

Room Tip: The double rooms have some of the best beds you will ever sleep in.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights. When I checked in the room was musty and stunk of feet. They handled the problem as if we caused it saying t
Must be our towels that were hanging in there. The bathroom floor
Is missin and toilet seats were broken. Had not
Been cleaned or attended to in ages. The next day he handed out big feedback forms and obviously didn't like what he read so he decided to accuse me
Personally of writing bad reviews when in fact
I hadn't even turned one in yet. Never had an owner of a hospitality establishment get aggressive with me ever until now. S
The owner also asked me of
My
Nationality and after I gave him a false
Nationality he went on
To speak of it in a derogatory manner. This guy is unfit I run a bath let alone a hostel. Dirty dingy dark place. I HIGHLY ADVISE
STAYING AWAY FEOM THIS PLACE AND IF YOUR READING ANDI YIU CAN EXPECT
A FOEMAL
COMPLAINT FOR YOUR RUDE AND OFFENSIVE BEHAVIOR.

• Stayed: February 2012
2  Thank Aesteticvoyager
Reviewed 14 January 2012

I stayed here for two months last year, I found it to be a great place, good beds, nice breakfast, and fast Internet.

The stay is more like staying at home than a hotel, which is what I like.

It can be noisy with people parting, but it's a awsome atmosphere.

I am returning this year and this place is my choice to stay.

Dave

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank Dave B
Reviewed 3 October 2011

Dirty, noisy, rude...will I go on.!! We made the mistake of staying here for 1 night.(thank God wasn't longer) We booked a double room which was outside beside the smoking area. We went out that night, came back around 2.30am. Woke up at 4 with the noise outside, not only from other guests but from the Owner/receptionist-how professional!!!!
We found him very rude, especially the next morning. The bathroom was disgusting-couldn't wait to get out of it.!!
Honestly do the owners never read the reviews.!!!!!!

Room Tip: Don't stay here
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple