“A Second Home”

Wellington - World Wide Backpackers
Wellington - World Wide Backpackers
Reviewed 24 July 2014

A great hostel. Fact!

I was only meant to stay here for a few weeks whilst searching for work and a flat in Wellington, but loved it so much I stayed here for many months. The owners are some of the most genuine, caring people you could meet and it's easy to see why many of the guests feel part of a family immediately when arriving at World Wide. One of my favourite aspects of the hostel is it's size. Because you're all together in close quarters, it means you have to get along with one another and socialise. Some of the larger hostels i've stayed in lack that intimacy that makes a hostel feel warm and inviting, like a hostel should be.

I'd recommend anyone to this hostel as it has been an amazing experience. Free breakfast, unlimited wifi, easy going owners, fantastic guests (a lot of French!), I love this place and it is a second home to me. As Andy the owner says, 'it's all about the guests'. If coming on a Friday, you may be lucky enough to involve yourself in a 'cross-drink' experience, or 'ab/burpee challenge'. Stay at this hostel, you will not regret it!

Room Tip: Room 1 can be noisy at the weekend.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo

Reviewed 13 July 2014

This is without doubt the worst place I have ever stayed. If you're looking for a frat house, you've found it. But if you're looking for a nice clean place to stay, keep looking. The kitchen was a filthy mess both nights I stayed. Food on the benches and floor. Piles of dirty dishes everywhere. The bathrooms were equally dirty. The other people staying had no respect for anyone but themselves. From running continuously up and down the stairs late at night into the wee small hours, to drinking and partying outside my bedroom door. I got up the second morning only to find some random person asleep on the couch outside my door, snoring like a bandsaw. Far too many people crammed into this house with less than adequate facilities. Was given free wifi which did not work but no explanation was given. Would never stay again and I warn everyone to stay away.

Room Tip: Keep looking.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank ranumrd
xavier77, Owner at Wellington - World Wide Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2014

I'm sorry to hear your stay was disappointing. I think the main problem here is having hotel expectations while paying a cheap backpacker price. I guarantee you will not find a better more comfortable room in Wellington for the price. The wifi works fine. If you had have approached us at any time during your stay we could have addressed your concerns.

Reviewed 4 July 2014

I stayed at Worldwide for several months while working in Wellington. It was one of my best decisions. Great staff and value. As the owner says "It's all about the guests!" Free wifi and breakfast and close to downtown and CBD. Really enjoyed my time there. Best hostel in NZ

• Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The room we had was quite nice, the facilities are pretty good, and the location was really nice. BUT it was SO loud in there every single night with music playing, obnoxious people drinking and singing and laughing so loudly my husband and I could not get a decent night's sleep. It was like that Every. Single. Night. The sheer inconsideration of the hostelers boggled the mind. They wouldn't quiet down until 2-3 am! It was a horrible place to stay for our last week in NZ. The "free breakfast" they have is toast with what seems like watered-down milk. AND on top of that there was LIMITED WIFI (available in the room) - you could only get a certain amount each day and then you were screwed. Lame. We would never stay there again.

Room Tip: Our room was right by the common area/kitchen and main hallway. I'm not sure it would help if ou...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
xavier77, Owner at Wellington - World Wide Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 8 July 2014

I'm sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay. This is a hostel and not a hotel so there will be some noise.It is also an historic building. This is reflected in paying a far cheaper price than you would for a hotel. The double rooms are very comfortable and you will not get a better room for a better price anywhere in Wellington. We offer unlimited free wifi. You are given a ticket of 800mb. If you use this simply get another one from reception any time. There is no daily limit. The breakfast is cereals, toast milk spreads and tea. I'm sorry we don't have a cooked breakfast as a number of hotels do. If you had advised us of your concerns during your stay we would have been happy to help.

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

For me this was the worst hostel experience in NZ and if you have a car I will advice you to avoid it. The person at the reception advised my friend and I to park in front of the hostel. He reassured us that is fine. We arrived on a Saturday evening in Wellington and on Sunday the parking in Wellington is free. Well was not for us as we got a fine for parking on ''Authorised vehicles only'', because we followed his advice. We were really pissed of, so we went to the reception and we brought this to their attention. His answer was : I think this was a misunderstanding and suggested to write Wellington parking office an explained them the situation. That's what we did and the reply was that the fine is not going to be cancelled. So I wrote the hostel back and the short reply was: ''Hi
Thats great''

I have 2 regrets for Wellington: choosing Worldwide backpackers and trusting the person at the reception. It got me so frustrated and ruined my trust in reception guys. I learned not to trust them anymore and listen to my instincts and read the signs. Yes... is my responsibility where I park, and I learned not to listen to ''advices'' So I paid my fine of 40 NZ. The person at the reception should also have his responsibility for the informations that is giving ... people tend to trust you because you are working there...

• Stayed: May 2014

Sorry to hear about your parking problem. We had a new person working at reception who gave you incorrect information. If you have a New Zealand bank account number email it to me and I will put $40 in your account. He must have misread the email and thought the fine was going to be cancelled as on most occasions like this it is. My apologies for this, but we are happy to refund your fine.

Reviewed 25 March 2014

This is the smallest hostel in Wellington, where my travelmates and I stayed for three nights. Is it also a good one? Well, I don’t know about the other, much bigger hostels in NZ’s capital, but this one is enjoyable, with some negative points though.

Located in the extension of The Terrace, it is a very quiet place outside as this part of the street mainly consists of one-family homes. It’s hard to find space to park if you arrive by car, and you’re forced to use one of the parking lots around the block, where you have to buy parking coupons for every day (or multiple days on one). At least the hostel owners sell them directly, unless they run out of it like it happened to me and I had to walk to the convenience store up the hill for 10 minutes. Well, not a major issue.

As the hostel was set up in one of those traditional wooden buildings, the interior doesn’t just look small, but really is. They have a busy TV lounge, one big wooden table in front of the building, another table in front of reception and kitchen aside of the reception. The latter one was always quite dirty and not really enjoyable, as many travellers didn’t clean up after cooking. The equipment is overused and old, but at least they have some big fridges which can fit a lot of cooling bags and other food.

The place advertises free WiFi and free breakfast, which are probably the best things here. Of course you can’t expect much from the breakfast, it’s standard toast bread, spread, milk, cheap cereals and jam – but it’s free! The WiFi works perfectly fine on the main floor, but if you got one of the dorm rooms in the “basement”, the connection is quite poor. We stayed in a share room downstairs, which is really really narrow, so you have to keep almost all your stuff below the bed. The beds itself were okay, standard bunks. Same goes for the bathrooms. The reception / kitchen room also has one PC for free use to browse the web in case you don’t have a smartphone or laptop with you.

From the hostel, it’s about 15 to 20 minutes walk to the city centre, depending one where you want to go – but the famous Cuba St is just a footstep away! Due to its small size, there is not much going on there, which I really like, as I hate party hostels – you might consider this when you’re choosing your place to stay. $27 as BBH member price for a dorm is not exactly a bargain, but still in range when you consider that there’s free WiFi and breakfast. All in all an okay hostel and, from what I’ve heard, better than some other Wellington hostels.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank FromEtoA
Reviewed 12 March 2014 via mobile

Arriving late from a long bus journey from Napier we arrived outside the hostel which looked run down and quite frankly to full, there were people everywhere! Advertising itself as a small hostel this tiny house had more people than was safe and comfortable. Having emailed the owner beforehand to confirm a pitch from our tent (which we received conformation that space and tent sites were available) we arrived and not a single member of staff was on site. We therefore rang the owner to find out where we were to set our tent up and confirm payments etc etc. The owner who I believe was called Andy answered the phone and seemed shocked to hear that we had arrived. At this point we wasn't to worried as he said to go down the back and see if there is room for our tent. Going outside we were puzzled as were to pitch our tent, there was a small enclosed decking area which had roughly 5 tents rammed on top if each other, the decks were rotten and very dirty! Having seen there wasn't any room for us we rang back and the owner was very unhelpful and seemed very rude to the extent we didn't feel welcome. As the manager of this hostel cant control the amount of people and booking made within his business we headed elsewhere. After spending $18 on taxi we ended up at the nomads hostel in town with much better location and facilities! My advice for people wanting to stay here is get there early, ring ahead to make sure staff are on site or just be sensible and head elsewhere.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
xavier77, Owner at Wellington - World Wide Backpackers, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

I'm sorry to hear you had a very brief and not so good experience at Worldwide Backpackers.
It is true we have had a very busy Summer and the hostel has been full most nights. We have a deck area out front where there is a barbaque and it is a good place to socialise get to know other guests. The tents are set up so there is no need to pitch your own tent and maybe that's why you could not find a site.We rarely take credit card details for a tent booking as a number of traveller's fail to show up. The tents are side by side and the decking area is in excellent condition, and was recently waterblasted. The tents have also been full most nights as the price includes free breakfast and wifi, and is only 5 mins walk from the city centre. They are also protected from most weather conditions. If I am not there there is always someone on site I can contact. You are most welcome to come back and stay one night for free. I will also reimburse you for the $18 taxi fare. Either drop in or email us a New Zealand Bank account number