“Great CBD location”

Ranked #2 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great CBD location”
Reviewed 18 May 2012

I have stayed here on several trips into wgtn- very well situated in CBD.
Top end of budget but worth the experience- good facilities -excellent service and the
staff are helpful,friendly and very obliging.Rooms are well appointed and the added bonus would
have to be a room with a harbour view not to mention the early morning coffee wake up call.Good gym and fitness centre facilities.

Room Tip: The upgraded rooms will not disappoint
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Thank you for writing a review of your recent experience. We were delighted to see you enjoyed our central location and had the opportunity to experience our facilities during your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Capital and InterContinental Wellington very soon.

Best regards,
Scott Hamilton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
  • Turkish first
Palmerston North, New Zealand
Reviewed 3 May 2012

This is a lovely place for a quick meeting over a coffee. Friendly and efficient staff and well prepared refreshments. Comfortable, spacious and we go there often. Thanks for that.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this review, 7 May 2012
Thank you for your kind review. It's great to see that you love our friendly team and the efficient service they deliver. I am sure they will be thrilled to hear such lovely comments.
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Lobby Lounge and InterContinental Wellington very soon.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 29 April 2012

We stayed one night in the least expensive room as we stopped over on the way to the South Island. It served this purpose well and was a short (though not inexpensive) cab ride to the InterIslander ferry. The hotel is very convenient to the Botanical Gardens, and you can walk to anywhere of interest in Wellington. Our room was on the small side, but it was comfortable, clean and attractively decorated. We arrived at 9 am and were told that we wouldn't have access to our room until 3 pm unless we upgraded to a more expensive option. This seemed like a scam, since they surely didn't know who might be checking out early. We declined the offer and went out. The their credit, the our room was ready with luggage delivered when we returned at 1 pm. Overall, the service was excellent with a friendly and helpful staff.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank freeasabee1
Australia
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I stayed at this hotel for a week last year so when I was returning to Wellington I was immediately interested in staying there again. The main reasons for wanting to return is the hotel has a good gym and it is well located.
The hotel was exactly as I remembered it. The location is well situated in between the business and entertainment districts of Wellington so its an easy walk anywhere in the city. On check in I was upgraded as my room wasn't ready. I didn't really notice the upgrade though, the room was nice enough but I couldn't tell you what the upgrade got me, perhaps its bigger. It was a bit older in decor, but still in good condition. There were easily accessible powerpoints next to the bed for charging the smartphone and a desk to work at. There is a selection of pay TV channels including Discovery.
One Direction were staying at the hotel when I was there so the front was often surrounded by teenage girls, but it was will managed and apart from the shrieking they were of little inconvenience to me. The first night I was staying there I awoke to a bit of "hotel noise", people walking around the floor and briefly heard someone strumming a guitar at about 2am. I think it was just the commotion of One Direction as it was fine after they left the next day. I ordered room service one night and found it to be alright, but felt a bit small - it was the chicken breast and was hoping for a bit more meat.
The breakfast buffet was fairly standard, but what I really liked was you could order a-la-carte as well. Typically all I eat is bowl of muesli for pay $12 for the muesli is much more appealing than $30 for a buffet I won't eat. However there was one day when I was already running late as I was seated I ordered my muesli straight away. I waited a solid ten minutes and there was no sign of it. Every other day it came out within a couple of minutes of ordering. Eventually I had to lift and told the manager, who had taken my order. She immediately turned to another staff member to ask what had happened. I assumed someone forgot to put it through. Though when I returned to my room that evening there was a letter from the restaurant manager apologizing and a voucher for a free buffet breakfast.
The gym was exactly how I remembered. Its adequate to get my by for a week away though any longer and I would have to got a proper gym. It has a large range of free weights, bench press and a smith machine. As well as some machines and plenty of cardio equipment and swiss balls. It is lacking a leg press and for training legs I did go to a proper gym. But for 95% of people this gym would suit their needs. The pool and spa are good though the jets in the spa turn off way to quickly.
The hotel is nice and have no problems. If it was in a more major city it probably wouldn't stand out much apart from the gym. But the staff a friendly, the locations good and the rooms are comfortable and quiet, can't ask for more really.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this review, 4 May 2012
Thank you for your recent review. I am glad to see you loved our central location and spent some quality time in Emerge Health Spa. We thank you for your feedback regarding your breakfast in Chameleon Restaurant. Please be assured we have taken these comments on board as the level of service we deliver is very important to the team. I was however pleased to see this has been followed up by our Restaurant Manager and the matter has been resolved. We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington in the near future.

Best Regards,
Waiheke Island, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 April 2012

So far, this is my favourite Wellington CBD hotel. It did seem like the place to be on the previous weekend, all black selectors, super 15 rugby players, boy bands etc. Just about every time I was in the elevator with a 'famous' face. I secured a bargain-basement rate on WOTIF mystery hotel (but worked out it was the intercontinental so no mystery to me).

Check-in was very quick, all staff seemed interested and engaged, not just robots. Must be a good management team here. The hotel coped well with the screaming hordes outside for the 1D concert. I loved the location, the superior room wasn't cramped, sound proofing was surprisingly good despite the aforementioned screaming fans.

Highly recommend

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for your kind review. I was glad to hear you had such a memorable stay with us on a recent weekend. It is lovely to see you enjoyed one of our spacious Superior rooms which you noted on being "Surprisingly" quiet despite the very excited crowds on the neighboring street. Our team pride themselves on their customer service so they will be thrilled to hear about you wonderful comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington very soon.

Sydney AU
Reviewed 24 April 2012

My wife and I spent 4 days over Easter at the Intercontinental, Wellington. Wonderful, welcoming place to visit - and stay. Had a corner-room with a nice, sunny aspect. Staff couldn't be nicer. All the old-fashioned greetings and hospitality in Hotel - then a City where everything was within walking distance. On our last morning, booked 5:15 AM wake-up call, as catching Overlander (train) to Auckland - Intercontinental treated us to complimentary tomato juice, with our call! Recommended.

Room Tip: Request a corner-room, as more-expansive feel.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this review, 29 April 2012
Thank you for your recent review. We are glad to hear you and your Wife had a lovely stay over the Easter Weekend. It's great to see you enjoyed our hospitality in particular the complimentary beverage with your wake up call. We look forward to welcoming you back to the Capital and InterContinental Wellington very soon.

Los Angeles
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I have to say this was the nicest hotel in the entire city. Perfect location and fantastic staff. In the few days I was there, I met a few Celebrities and a few Rugby players, not to mention a Pop group that was staying in the hotel for a concert. It seemed like anyone who was anyone was staying there. The rooms were nice and mine had amazing views of the city and ocean.

The few downfalls came when my room service order showed up ice cold. When I notified room service, they offered to come up and take it to the kitchen to "reheat" it. For the high prices you find on their menu, I found this very tacky. My order the next day was burnt to a crisp and was not edible. When I tried to talk to someone about it, I had to wait until the next day when a manager was available. Once I did have a chance to report it, they fixed my bill for me.

Other restaurants in the Hotel were incredible. The steak at Chameleon was almost as good as the chowder. The staff there were fantastic, and so were the bar staff in the lobby.
One thing I have to mention was the $107 for 700mb of data on the web connection. Considering the connection was so slow, it was not worth it when I could get free wifi if I set my laptop near the window. All in all it could have been a bit better, but the slow internet plagues the whole island, so that isn't completely their fault. Room service food does need a proper look, but aside from that a good experience.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write such a lovely review. I am glad to hear you had such a fantastic stay. We like to think our Hotel is the place to stay when in the Capital and where glad you were able to enjoy it. The Chameleon Restaurant Team and staff from The Lobby Lounge pride themselves on the 5 star service they deliver and I am sure they will be delighted to hear you had such a wonderful experience. As for the Room Service issue please accept my sincere apologies . I was happy to see this was resolved for you however if you do have any concerns please do not hesitate to contact me at wellington@interconti.com.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the InterContinental Wellington very soon.

Best Regards,