“Great Hotel, but so it should be for theprice”

InterContinental Wellington
Ranked #2 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
tokoroa
“Great Hotel, but so it should be for theprice”
Reviewed 8 April 2013

Stayed here a couple of times. The Hotel itself is very well appointed. it has excellent facilities and services. the price is quite a bit higher than most places in wellington as are the restaurants there. If you must try and eke out every bit of luxury and don't have big price restrictions then this is the place for you. if you are like me and enjoy a good hotel room at an acceptable price then there are plenty more options. It is central and pretty close to the waterfront and a short walk to everywhere else in the city but it is neither in the party end of town nor the business end. stuck sort of in the middle. Loved my stay, no complaints but the jasmes cook is just as good for a bit less

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this review, 22 April 2013
Thank you for your recent review, the Team and I are pleased you enjoyed your stay overall. We appreciate you taking the time to provide us with your feedback, please rest assured we have taken these comments on board. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to InterContinental Wellington.
Best regards,
Scott Hamilton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (377)
  • Turkish first
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 April 2013

I've stayed there 4 or 5 times now and the hotel is positioned right in the heart of Wellington. The staff are great, breakfast is good and the facilities are fine. It's probably due for a bit of a makeover, however the rooms themselves are quite modern and well equipped.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback. As a regular guest of ours we appreciate your comments and are glad you enjoyed your stay overall; in particular the great service delivered by our dedicated team. We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington in the near future.
Palmerston North
Reviewed 1 April 2013

Stayed for one night on route to the gold coast. Smooth check-in with complimentary valet parking (as part of the clubroom deal), fantastically comfortable room, great friendly service, quite room, most comfortable hotel bed I have ever slept in. Good blackout curtains. Bathroom getting a little dated but still nice. Swimming pool and sauna very pleasant. May not be suitable for small kids as no shallow end but we were fine as we took our little one's swim vest. Changing rooms spacious and warm. Breakfast was delightful with excellent range of food on offer, particularly loved the individual coffee peculator idea. We will definitely stay at this hotel again - thanks for kicking our holiday off to a great start

Room Tip: Pay that little bit extra to gain access to hotels club room which gives you so much more in terms o...
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this review, 2 April 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write your lovely feedback. The Team and I were pleased you thoroughly enjoyed your recent visit to InterContinental Wellington. I am also glad you enjoyed your Club InterContinental experience and all the added amenities. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back again soon.

Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 March 2013

I found that there were a number of reasons to rate The Intercontinental Hotel highly, from location to facilities to staff, all of them were a bonus.

There are a couple of different ways to get from the airport to the hotel. There are buses and shuttle buses which would take you close to the hotel but after a long flight I opted for a taxi which was about $35-40 and takes no longer than about 25 mins max. Going back to the airport took about 15 minutes at 4am.

Before I stayed I had been in email contact with the hotel to make a couple of requests which were duly obliged and when I got to the hotel I found that the staff were equally as helpful.
The check in was professional, friendly and personable and to be fair, all my dealings with reception and consierge were the same. I find you dont always get the personable touch with international 5* hotels but here I did.

My luggage didnt make it and the staff were very helpful in tracing where it was and then getting it to me by the next day. They were also helpful in recommending where to get some additional clothes, furnishing me with a phone charger and informing me about the complimentary laundry service which I needed both times I stayed at the property. It was a true help.

The rooms were nice and of a good size. The beds were comfortable, the tv was large and had sky sports, and there was the usual assortment of tea and coffee making facilities, mini bar and snack bar, safe, iron, robe and slippers. There is paid wifi available in the rooms, room service is also available.
The bathroom had a bath and shower and a selection of fru fru nik naks.

The hotel did breakfast and meals, had a bar and a gym / pool / sauna and all that.

The hotel was in a nice location just a couple of 100 yards from the water front and a selection of bars and restaurants and there are also plenty of shops just around the corner. Also, the Wellington Cable car is only a five minute walk away.
There are also plenty of places to get a coffee and a bit of breakfast close to the hotel too.

All in all I found this to be a top hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for your kind review. I am delighted to hear you enjoyed your recent stay with us in particular the personable service delivered by our fantastic staff. This 5 star service is something the team pride themselves on; so I will be sure to pass on these wonderful comments. We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington and the Capital City.
Best regards,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 31 March 2013

As an Australian I am ashamed to say I have not visited Wellington before. The reason for this visit was to spend a few days in this delightful city before boarding a cruise ship for a voyage around New Zealand’s South Island.

Our flight arrived in Wellington close to midnight and after the quickest deplane and customs clearance, we were on our way by taxi for the short trip to the InterContinental. As our taxi pulled up we were greeted by a charming young lady who quickly took charge of our bags before escorting us to the reception where she checked us in. We were soon in our large room located on the Club Floor level overlooking Wellington Harbour.

One of the delights of staying with most InterContinental Hotels is their Club Floor rooms and facilities. My wife and I are almost addicted to Club Lounges. Each evening complimentary drinks, including wine and spirits, were served along with a buffet of substantial finger food, cheeses and more. What a great place to see the sun go down over the harbour and talk to fellow guests.

The Hotel’s main restaurant offered an outstanding breakfast buffet as well as a la carte, the local waitstaff were very friendly and informative. For a lighter continental style breakfast, the Club Lounge is the place.

Our room was oversized compared to many hotels and I really enjoyed working at our in-room desk area. The bathroom was spacious, with separate shower recess and a large spa bath in the corner.

The foyer lounge was a great place to relax and people watch while sipping a drink or coffee.

This harbourside hotel was well situated, close to all the shops and business district. One of the beauties of this town is its size, making it so easy to explore all the surrounding sites. This is a city I look forward to returning soon and my hotel of choice will certainly be the InterContinental, due to its excellent room layouts, friendly service and location. I think one could say, it is certainly the best hotel in town. John Pond.

Room Tip: High floor to take advantage of harbour views
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank johnpond
Dear John,
Thank you for your taking the time to provide us with your delightful feedback. I am pleased you and your wife had the chance to experience our Club InterContinental floors & facilities; and enjoyed our beautiful harbour views. We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington and the Coolest Little Capital on your next visit to New Zealand.
Warm regards,
Perth Western Australia
Reviewed 30 March 2013

Having spent over two years 2009-2011 travelling to Wellington on business I returned in March 2013 for a conference. The first time that I had stayed at the Intercontinental.

This venue is great for conferences. The set up and audio/visual was excellent. I certainly recommend it. The lunches and dinners served during the conference were very nice and certainly had a cool Kiwi theme about them! The little boxes of fish and chips for lunch one day was a great touch. The breakfast was very good in my opinion.

The room was OK. Nothing incredible and nothing really to complain about and perfectly adequate for a five night conference stay. The room rate arranged by the conference organisers was extremely good in my opinion.

Location is very central to shopping (Lambton Quay, Willis Street), night-life (Courtney Place) and touristy destinations such as Te Papa and the waterfront.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your feedback from your recent stay with us. Our Groups and Events team were delighted to hear of your review and were pleased you enjoyed our conference experience; in particular our Kiwiana touch. We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington again soon on business or perhaps for a weekend getaway.

Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 28 March 2013

Ideal for business. Reception to many trainees. You have to check the room and location on your own. Cannot trust the reception. Try to get a room to the waterfront.
Breakfast good. We loved the muesli. Design old fashioned. Hotel is good for conventions. Concierge polite and efficient. Executive lounge good service.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for your recent review. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your experience overall in particular our extensive breakfast range. I would also like to thank you for your feedback, please rest assured we have taken your comments on-board to further improve our service. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to InterContinental Wellington.