“Another great stay”

Ranked #2 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Christchurch, New Zealand
“Another great stay”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

The Wellington Intercontinental yellow ducky is back! My kids thought it was great getting one each.

Stayed for a special occasion over the weekend and once again the staff prove why I always stay here when I have to use my own money - do the rooms need some renovation, maybe but the staff, service and location more than make up for it. Having to stay at other Hotels in the vicinity for work, there is nothing nicer than relaxing here with the family.

I was offered tickets to the Andy Warhol exhibition at TePapa as my Ambassador gift and received a personal welcome message from the General Manager for my birthday which was nice.

Internet was free as per new IHG Club benefits – just be aware that the first time you login it is the standard 30mins/50Mb, once you use this up you will be prompted to enter the wireless password where you get the full free wireless internet.

We ended up staying an extra night as the bad weather in Wellington caused our flight home to be delayed by a day – this of course didn’t worry the children who always enjoy staying here whenever they come up to meet their cousins.

We will be back soon.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this review, 15 July 2013
Thank you for your lovely review. I am pleased you and your family enjoyed your recent stay with us, it was a pleasure to welcome you back. As one of our valued Ambassador Members we love to hear your feedback on a regular basis; so I thank you for taking the time to provide us with your comments. The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington.

Best Regards,
Scott Hamilton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (387)
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 13 July 2013

The staff were, apart from one exception, great - very efficient, friendly, willing and attentive. The entrance hall is a good space for coffee, people watching and lounging. Our room was only just OK - dated, dull and a bit shabby. But the view was fine. I had enjoyed the Club Lounge in Melbourne but this one does not compare in quality, staff or facilities. The pool is 5'3" deep, too deep for me at 5'4" to stand on the bottom and so have a comfortable swim. The spa and pool tiles are dingy. I had chosen this hotel because I had such a good experience of staying at the same chain in Melbourne. But I would not stay at this hotel again until it is refurbished. Great staff, pity about the hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for providing us with your comments from your recent stay with us. I was disappointed to hear of your recent experience at our hotel, please rest assured we have taken your comments on-board. I was however glad to hear you enjoyed the 5 star service delivered by our Team, as this is something they pride themselves on. Please do not hesitate to contact me at wellington@ihg.com where I am more than happy to discuss your concerns with you further. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to InterContinental Wellington in the near future.

Reviewed 11 July 2013

Amazing room, immaculately clean, fabulous views, fantastic and attentive service. If you have the time, definitely unwind with a massage in the Emerge Health Club and Spa. Our son enjoyed the heated pool, not large but big enough to get a good paddle in, so we swam every day. Chameleon Restaurant was great as breakfast and dinner options, well presented & tasty menu options. Great club area for pre dinner drinks.

Room Tip: Suites facing the bay have beautiful views
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your review. The Team and I are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us and had the chance to experience our many Hotel Facilities; in particular Emerge Health Spa and our Club InterContinental Lounge. We look forward to welcoming you and your family back to InterContinental Wellington in the near future.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 7 July 2013

The Intercontinental in Wellington is nice and central to the city. We only stayed one night during our NZ holiday and were not disappointed with the hotel overall. The room we stayed in was HUGE, the bed comfy, the view was okay, and the room service delicious. We also booked ourselves in for the buffet breakfast the next morning which was delicious to say the least. My only criticism of the hotel would be that the room could have done with a bit of a touch up (a few knocks on the wall had removed the paint etc.). This didn't take away from our experience and we would gladly stay there again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am pleased to see you enjoyed your stay overall in particular your meal from in room dining. We thank you for your comments; please rest assured we have taken this on board to further improve our service. We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington in the near future.

Wellington, New Zealand
Reviewed 4 July 2013

The hotel comes out of the gate strong with a nice lobby & entrance. It ends there as you'll be greeted by dated rooms as well as 'small' discrepancies that add up to not being worth it. Staff that don't replace glasses in the room; want to watch a movie? - be prepared to be transported back to 1997 to compare the text on the screen to the movie guide in the room ( if you can find it ) for any more information than text giving the title & running time; air conditioning controls are split between an analog controller near the door (difficult to discern the temp you want with any accuracy) and an on/off that I didn't even discover until day 3 of my stay as it was behind the lamp shade. If I've set the temp near the door why am sent looking for the rest of the control to actually turn it on? Battery operated incorrectly set clock, worn knobs in the bathroom, etc. As an Ambassador with the chain that received the customary upgrade to a 'superior' room, I was simply let down. No deal breakers, just a mishmash of small details that should set the hotel apart when instead leave you feeling as though you're spending far less.
I travel to Wellington several times per year on business and usually stay at a different boutique hotel called The Bolton - I'll likely return to them after this one stay.
PS, the brekky is actually pretty good in the lounge, if you get it included in your rate. Not really sure what the intercontinental lounge is like or if is worth buying the membership based on this hotel as you're not allowed up to even view it evidently; my room key card wouldn't even get me to the floor it's on.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. As one of our valued Ambassador members I was disappointed to hear of the inconveniences you experienced during your stay; I would like to take this opportunity to express my sincerest apologies. We pride ourselves on delivering our guests a great experience at all times and I would like you to rest assured that the challenges you encountered are not indicative of our usual high standards. If you would like to get in contact with me further please email wellington@ihg.com so we may discuss your concerns.
Reviewed 28 June 2013

The Intercontinental in Wellington is a great location. Service was very good and overall hotel amenities were of high quality. what was dissappointing were the rooms. They are small, dated decor and a bathroom of equivalent quality to a Soviet era hostel. The in room features are not in keeping with the overall positioning of the hotel. It is great to have beautiful lobbies and public space but the rooms need to be of the same quality.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this review, 7 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review from your recent stay. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay overall in particular the 5 star service delivered by our great team. We thank you for your feedback, please rest assured we have taken this on board to further improve our service. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to InterContinental Wellington.

Sydney
Reviewed 24 June 2013

This has a great location for business, and could be a great hotel with some more money spent on it. It has improved in last few years which the management should be credited especially the pillows and room improvements but it feels as though they are still dominated by the accountants rather than the guest experience champions. They really could be a 4 or 5 star hotel if they want to do their homework. Their driver is excellent and helpful and friendly as are the concierge staff. I now breakfast at the coffee shop opposite the main entrance -better food, coffee and at a better price, which is a shame as I really want this hotel to succeed. The bar is very very ordinary in a city that has some better bars than Sydney or Melbourne.

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this review, 25 June 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I would like to thank you for your comments and concerns; please rest assured we have taken these on-board to further improve our service. I was however pleased to see you enjoyed our central location and the level of service provided. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to InterContinental Wellington.