“Excellent Location and Service, Updated Rooms Look Great.”

InterContinental Wellington
Ranked #3 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Vancouver
“Excellent Location and Service, Updated Rooms Look Great.”
Reviewed 4 November 2013

I stayed here one week recently, accompanying my husband on a business trip. We had an Executive Superior King room over looking Grey Street and toward Lambton Harbour. The rooms are pretty big, the bed was extremely comfy and we had a choice of 3 types of pillow, and the bathroom was huge with a walk in shower and spa tub.

The location is really impressive. The staff were very friendly and attentive, and the concierge was thankfully very knowledgeable, recommending some great local shops, giving directions to sites and local services, all very walkable. The hotel provides a map with nearby sites (easy to walk to the Cable Car, Museums or Parliament) and list of restaurants - almost all of which I tried and had spectacular food!! After which, walking and dining, a swim in the hotel rooftop pool or spa, or a workout with any number of equipment including a few rowing machines, is greatly welcomed!

When I was there, they were refurbishing rooms in the top two levels. On our second night, there was an little service inconvenience, and I asked the Duty Manager, Casey, about it. She showed very personal concern and even though we only had two more nights, she offered to move us to a refurbished room on the club level! Well, I couldn't pass that up. It was extremely kind, and the room was elegant and tastefully decorated. Even though I didn't mind finding breakfast outside, the Club level lounge had the most amazing sweeping view of the harbour, and offered a great range of local breakfast options including smoked salmon, fresh muesli and fruits, several breads, jams, cheeses and cold meats, smoothies, and getting personally made fine espresso coffee was a real treat!

If I ever come to Wellington again, I would stay here! It is so central, the rooms are bright and big and quiet, the staff were really helpful, and the facilities were great. First time to Wellington, I hope I do come back.

Tip: Internet is very expensive in Wellington, even Starbucks only provides 30 minutes. Get yourself a sim card from the Telecom NZ shop for your ipad or phone, it was about $30 for 500Mb Data and good for a month, great for just using the internet. Or if you stay in Club level, internet is included, which is great too.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the harbour.
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank ClaireFromYVR
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this review, 17 November 2013
First of all I would like to take this opportunity to thank you for your wonderful review. We truly appreciate the feedback we receive from our guests so we may further improve our service for future stays. I am delighted you enjoyed your overall stay and had the chance to experience our many hotel facilities. I do apologise for the little service inconvenience you experienced; however I am pleased this was swiftly resolved by Casey our Manager on Duty. We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington on your next visit to the Capital City.

Best Regards,
Scott Hamilton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (367)
  • Turkish first
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 30 October 2013 via mobile

Right in the centre of the city, this is a great base to explore the city from. We were there to attend Wearable Arts, and you really can't beat the location directly across the road from the TSB Arena.
My room wasn't ready at 2:30pm when I arrived but they made sure it was available at the stated check in time of 3pm and called me to confirm. I was staying in a Club room on the top floor and I thought the room was pretty good, very quiet. Staff at the check in counter weren't very friendly and I am used to a much warmer greeting when arriving at a quality hotel.
I left my hair straighteners in the room but haven't gotten around to calling them yet to see if they are still there. Since they have all of your contact details you'd think maybe they would call you - still, really my fault for leaving them and then for not calling.
Best part of my stay was the room service breakfast - ok it's pricey as all hotel breakfasts are, but I picked the energy option which came with a smoothie, omelette, muesli etc and it was great. Room service staff excellent.

Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Megs_TS
Oviedo, Florida
Reviewed 27 October 2013

I had the good fortune to stay at this hotel for the second time last week. Overall, I give this hotel five stars. This doesn't mean they were perfect this trip but the care they give their guests and the little extras make up for any mishaps.

The only issue I had which candidly could be a big deal is that the concierge forgot my wake up call. I think we were so involved in our lovely conversation it didn't get noted. However this gentlemen did take the initiative to ask if I needed a car to the airport and a coffee delivered when I wake up...just the call was forgotten!

I did upgrade my room because the standard room is a bit dated in terms of furniture but they are undergoing a renovation. I had a lovely room with a gorgeous view of the bay. Nice young lady at the front desk gave me a slight discount on the room upgrade charge. I took advantage of it and was well worth it.

The food in the restaurant was quite good. Servers were kind enough to go the extra effort and take a special request. The only thing I would have liked is having bread served with the meal versus having to order it as an appetizer with olive oil for $11! A bit outrageous to an American as bread is pretty standard with a full course meal. Room service meal was even better and I preferred the menu!

Two things made up for the minor issues and the first was the fact they served your choice of a beverage when you wake up. To me that was the most fabulous thing they could do! I am not a morning person so I get up at the last minute but I want coffee. So I always go without as I would rather sleep than get up for a breakfast. But the first morning I ordered a coffee latte. I figured I would get my wake up call at 7:30 am and they would show up whenever...so I allowed 15 minutes to get up early (but at least I could wait in bed). Well....at 7:32 am...someone was knocking at my door...and it was a lovely looking youn man I must admit...so what a great way to wake up!!

The other thing that was nice is that they had evening turn down service. I wasn't out of my room much at night but somehow they knew when I left and discretely came in and turned the bed down, close off my window...just a nice touch.

And what really makes this hotel so lovely is the staff. This was my second visit and each time the staff is just wonderful! It was also so nice that Paul on their bell staff took me to the airport in their gorgeous hotel car....and that was such a nice treat.

I will stay there everytime I am in Wellington. Great hotel!

Room Tip: Get a room with a view! Well worth it.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this review, 3 November 2013
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. I am pleased you enjoyed your overall stay and had the chance to experience our many hotel facilities. The team pride themselves on the 5 star service they deliver so they were delighted to hear of your wonderful comments.

I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback regarding your wake-up call, please rest assured we have taken these comments on board to further improve our service. We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington for another memorable experience.

Kind regards,
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 26 October 2013

Check in was pretty poor. There was only 1 person at the counter and no one to assist with the bags.
The check in clerk did not bother to activate my rewards membership and it was only 2 weeks later when I was chatting to another clerk that my membership was activated.
The bathroom was pretty old. There were traces of dirt and maybe mould in the tile grout.
The colours on the taps indicating hot or cold water were chipped.
There were massive amounts of calcium and lime deposits on the taps, handles and shower heads.
Bedside lamp and wobbly and unstable.
The dryer in the laundry was out of service for the full 3 week duration for which I was there.
Gym equipment was very old and had dodgy fixes done to them.
Relative lack consistency of service, sometimes the newspaper was slid under the door sometimes it was left outside.
Overall the hotel and experience was good, but I expected a lot more from a 5 star hotel.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Feng Y
Dear Feng Y,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valued feedback. I was disappointed you were not satisfied with your overall stay; I would like to take this opportunity to sincerely apologise for any shortfalls you experienced. Please do not hesitate to get in contact me should you wish to discuss these points in further detail. We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to InterContinental Wellington.

Best regards,
Hamilton, New Zealand
Reviewed 26 October 2013 via mobile

A very good hotel. The staff could not have been more helpful in setting up a cocktail type meeting with drinks and light refreshments which were of a very good standard and very reasonably priced. Staying in the hotel was also very good. Well appointed room. There was some renovation going on, but wasn't intrusive. Breakfast was very good with plenty of choice, fresh produce, excellent coffee. There were discount deals that some of our group had used which made it really good value, though for the service, I was happy to pay full price.

Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. The Team & I are pleased you enjoyed your overall stay in particular the cocktail meeting set up within the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington on your next visit to the Capital City.

Kind regards,
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 20 October 2013

Typical New Zealand friendly reception with excellent accommodations. Central location that was an easy walk to downtown. Downtown is compact and clean so no problem staying here. Concierge was particularly good.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this review, 21 October 2013
Thank you for your kind review. The Team and I were pleased you enjoyed your stay; in particular the 5 star service provided. We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington on your next visit to New Zealand.

Best regards,
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 17 October 2013

$350 for a room that was dirty, and could smell paint fumes coming from the renovations of above rooms. Woken early by the noise of those renovations.
They don't tell you they are doing work when you book with them, even via the front desk. The only time you find out is when you check in, and its too late to change.
Don't stay there!

Room Tip: Don't choose one. Try another option
Dear travel992013

Thank you for providing your feedback on your recent stay with us. We genuinely appreciate you sharing your experience with regard to our current hotel refurbishment.

We are excited to be undergoing these changes and have undertaken extensive planning to reduce any impact on our guests. We have provided information to guests regarding the refurbishment work both prior to, and throughout their stay and we encourage them to contact us should they have concerns. I apologise that on this occasion you did not feel this was adequately communicated.

Once again thank you for your comments and feedback and I encourage you to look out for the new developments to InterContinental Wellington in the near future. We look forward to welcoming you back to experience our newly refurbished hotel.

Kind Regards,