“Excellent service with surprising and unexpected failures elsewhere”

InterContinental Wellington
Ranked #2 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Wellington, New Zealand
“Excellent service with surprising and unexpected failures elsewhere”
Reviewed 12 May 2014

This was an overnight stay before flying out of Wellington early in the morning. Room 310 is on the 3rd floor which is quite convenient for visiting the pool and gym. No wandering up and down in lifts. This particular hotel is one of only two 5 star hotels in Wellington City. What stood out for me was the quality of the staff. They were well trained, efficient and professional in all respects. The rooms were quiet which is a big plus in Wellington where the police love their sirens.Where the hotel fell short for me was unexpected - the rooms and the breakfast, things that I normally take for granted in such establishments. So what went wrong?

While I can appreciate that it may be expensive to update tiles, in a 5 star hotel it's not something I would expect to have to comment on. Having put in attractive pieces of red and black granite it was a shame that they cut costs by using some of the cheapest, poorly applied white tiles on the walls. In addition there were a number of places where small patches of mould were visible. I was a little puzzled as to why there was a neatly folded face cloth on the edge of the bath. The reason became clear when using the shower as a steady stream of water fell vertically and splashed on the bath edge. No amount of shower head adjustment could solve the problem. I'm guessing that the shower head and the mould are connected. I read that they are upgrading the hotel. It is certainly time! On the hall floor the carpet was rucked up in several places. Apart from looking visually unappealing it's not something I would expect because it presents a trip hazard. Hopefully the upgrade addresses these easy to fix issues.

The Chameleon restaurant is billed as fine dining. We were not able to dine there in the evening as we had to be elsewhere so can't comment on that. But I can comment on aspects of the breakfast which as I said earlier is something I take for granted. While the service was excellent, the "home made" baked beans were tough and under-cooked, the mushrooms had no flavour whatsoever and the basil topped baked eggs had a skin on the top so tough that it felt like a large contact lens. Again there was no flavour. The rest of the buffet, in particular the Bircher muesli, was of good quality.

As I was impressed by the service I will be returning to see if the Club rooms and breakfast are an improvement. If not then sadly I will have to return to my usual choice closer to the theatre district.

Room Tip: Perhaps try the Club rooms?
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Dear Int_Academic,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review.

We pride ourselves on the 5 star service we provide our guests; so the Team will be delighted to hear your kind words.

I also appreciate you sharing your feedback and concerns from your recent stay. Please rest assured this information has been passed onto the appropriate teams.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to experience one of our brand new Club Guestrooms and InterContinental Club Lounge.

Scott Hamilton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (388)
  • Turkish first
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 9 May 2014 via mobile

Not good value compared to other inter continental hotels ,poor service and tired looking rooms $400 per night a rip off don't waste your money ,better value hotels in Wellington ,breakfast is average for value as I am a platinum member no club level was offered to me .

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this review, 12 May 2014
Dear Peter R.

As a valued IHG Platinum Rewards Club Member I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback and concerns.

We are currently 2/3 of the way through a major hotel refurbishment and we are excited to be able to unveil these changes to our guests.

We would love the opportunity to talk to you further regarding your recent stay. Please email me at wellington@ihg.com so we may discuss the raised points in further detail.

For the meantime we hope to have the chance to welcome you back to InterContinental Wellington to further restore your confidence.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 3 May 2014

As we get discount rates stayed for two nights in a Club room on top floor. Check in was a bit of a mess because they had allocated us the wrong room and while this was being fixed our bags of course were being delivered to the wrong room. Apart from that our stay was excellent and we enjoyed use of the Club facilities. Staff are very polite and rooms are what you would expect for this type f hotel. Location is also excellent.

Room Tip: If it is a special occasion spend a bit more on a Club Intercontinental Room and enjoy complimentary...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this review, 5 May 2014
Dear David S,

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your review.

I would like to take this opportunity to apologise for any inconvenience caused during check in; I am however pleased to hear you enjoyed your overall stay and service provided.

The Team and I look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington on your next visit to New Zealand.

San Diego, California
Reviewed 3 May 2014

Stayed with my family for one night in the month of October last year. It was recommended by my friend who had stayed there earlier. Spacious rooms, clean bathroom with all basic necessities expected of a 5 star property. Food quality superb, staff very polite, room service okay and location of the hotel is also great. overall a very good property. Definitely come back in our future visits. Highly recommended

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
Dear Eda_Creed,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay with us back in October 2013.

The Team and I are delighted you enjoyed your stay and the 5 star service provided.

We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington to experience one of our newly refurbished guestrooms.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 2 May 2014

We were extremely happy with our stay, the service was excellent, rooms were very large (even for a standard room). We stayed on the 3rd floor which happens to be home to the Gym & Pool which was very convenient.

The features of this hotel really stood out for me were the dual head double shower was amazing, the bed is the most comfortable thing I have ever slept in, location is directly in front of the harbour.

The only negative thing about this hotel I could find is their extravagant Wifi prices... which sounds petty but is absolutely disgusting when you are paying big money to stay in a 5-star hotel you kind of expect free wifi as you can get in a 2-stay hotel. I feel this is daylight robbery, they charge you because 'they can'. Luckily we found out if you sign up to a IHG rewards program it becomes free... this isn't openly advertised anywhere.

Room Tip: - If you love the pool and the gym, stay on level 3 - WiFi prices are VERY expensive, but it is fre...
Dear ValFleur,

I was delighted to read your review and would like to thank you for sharing your kind feedback.

The Team and I are pleased you enjoyed your overall stay, including our guestroom features and central location.

We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington in the near future.

Best regards,
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 30 April 2014

Great location and friendly, helpful staff. We had a room in the recently refurbished wing with a view of the harbour. The room was stylish and comfortable with a great King size bed; lovely bathroom and shower. The internet connection in our room was poor and very slowwww. May have been because I was connecting through my iPad but I doubt it.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear MJD48,

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay in one of our newly refurbished guestrooms and appreciated the hotels waterfront location.

I also appreciate your feedback regarding the Internet connection; please rest assured I will follow this up with our provider.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 27 April 2014

This hotel gave us one of our best Hotel Experiences over the last 20 years. We were upgraded to one of the newly refurbished rooms - stunning, bed so comfortable, bathrooms brilliant, amenities 5 star. Our best compliments go to the three girls who worked the Club Lounge on the two evenings we were in house. They were outstanding in every way - being from the Hospitality Industry ourselves we were thrilled to come across such attention to detail, professionalism and also their knowledge of their environment. The Hotel Restaurant was also outstanding.
The location is brilliant - you don't need a car, wonderful restaurants, shopping and tourist attractions within walking distance. We will definitely be returning to this hotel and recommending it to others

Room Tip: If you are able to request one of the recently refurbished rooms and are allocated one you won't...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear MADAFK,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback from your recent stay.

I am delighted you enjoyed your time with us; in particular the professional service delivered. Please rest assured I will pass your wonderful comments onto the team.

We look forward to welcoming you back for another memorable stay on your next visit to the Capital City.

Best regards,