InterContinental Wellington
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Fitness centre
  • Room Service
James Cook Hotel Grand Chancellor(Wellington)
Quest on Johnston(Wellington)
Novotel Wellington(Wellington)
  • Room Service
Park Hotel Lambton Quay(Wellington)
  • Pool
West Plaza Hotel(Wellington)
1,629 results
All reviewsthe club loungechameleon restaurantpre dinner drinksbooked a club roomconcierge staffwake up callan upgradenew zealandcable carharbour viewpillow menubed was very comfortablea bit tiredvalet parkinglocation is excellentbars and restaurantsthe heart of the city
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 27 May 2014

I was only in Wellington for a few days, but really enjoyed the stay at the InterContinental. The floor I had was one of the refurbished floors, and it was very nice. Well laid out, plus I got free WiFi. Great location, and within walking distance of most things in the city.

The breakfast was also very good, in the foyer/lobby restaurant, as was the service. Everyone was nice, helpful and a pleasure to speak to.

Room Tip: Make sure you get one of the refurbished floor rooms.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2014

Dear GeorgeParam,

Thank you for your review.

I was pleased to see you enjoyed your stay with us even if it was for a short trip to the Capital City. Please rest assured I will pass your kind comments onto the Team.

We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington on your next visit to New Zealand.

Reviewed 27 May 2014

I stayed on the 6th floor which has been beautifully refurbished. The room was generous in size and the flat screen tv was huge for a hotel room. Service at the hotel was excellent and the location was central to shopping and restaurants. It was handy to the docks too. I would be very happy to stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your lovely review and feedback.

The Team and I are delighted to hear you enjoyed your overall stay; in particular our central location and the level of service provided.

We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington for another memorable stay.

Best regards,

Reviewed 15 May 2014

FIVE-STAR! Stayed a week in March and it was fabulous! In process of renovating entire hotel, so if new/modern is your thing, be sure to book a refurbished room (more expensive, of course, but worth every penny!). Our room was well lit, bright, new, clean, and we loved the modern design. Bathroom exceptional with open shower and all new fixtures. Hotel staff extremely pleasant, friendly, helpful, accommodating, deferential in all matters. Location OUTSTANDING - walking distance to shopping, restaurants, public transit, waterfront, many attractions (including Te Papa, Cable Car, Wellington Museum of City & Sea). They upgraded us to waterfront corner-room - double fabulous! Of course, there are many other hotel options in Wellington, but if you prefer 4-5 Star level accommodations, in one of the best locations in town, this is it! Joined their free points program and got free internet. Book in advance, look for discounts and it can also be a tremendous value! We LOVE WELLINGTON and The INTERCONTINENTAL.

Room Tip: As you might expect, if you want waterfront view, ask for highest floors as lower floor views might be obscured by other buildings - plus you'll get less road noise (but, road noise is not a problem if you keep windows closed).
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 18 May 2014

Thank you for your sharing your kind words and feedback with the TripAdvisor community.

The Team and I are delighted you enjoyed your stay in one of our newly refurbished guestrooms; in particular our central location and IHG reward Club benefits.

We look forward to welcoming you back to InterContinental Wellington for another memorable experience.

Best regards,

Reviewed 12 May 2014

This was an overnight stay before flying out of Wellington early in the morning. Room 310 is on the 3rd floor which is quite convenient for visiting the pool and gym. No wandering up and down in lifts. This particular hotel is one of only two 5 star hotels in Wellington City. What stood out for me was the quality of the staff. They were well trained, efficient and professional in all respects. The rooms were quiet which is a big plus in Wellington where the police love their sirens.Where the hotel fell short for me was unexpected - the rooms and the breakfast, things that I normally take for granted in such establishments. So what went wrong?

While I can appreciate that it may be expensive to update tiles, in a 5 star hotel it's not something I would expect to have to comment on. Having put in attractive pieces of red and black granite it was a shame that they cut costs by using some of the cheapest, poorly applied white tiles on the walls. In addition there were a number of places where small patches of mould were visible. I was a little puzzled as to why there was a neatly folded face cloth on the edge of the bath. The reason became clear when using the shower as a steady stream of water fell vertically and splashed on the bath edge. No amount of shower head adjustment could solve the problem. I'm guessing that the shower head and the mould are connected. I read that they are upgrading the hotel. It is certainly time! On the hall floor the carpet was rucked up in several places. Apart from looking visually unappealing it's not something I would expect because it presents a trip hazard. Hopefully the upgrade addresses these easy to fix issues.

The Chameleon restaurant is billed as fine dining. We were not able to dine there in the evening as we had to be elsewhere so can't comment on that. But I can comment on aspects of the breakfast which as I said earlier is something I take for granted. While the service was excellent, the "home made" baked beans were tough and under-cooked, the mushrooms had no flavour whatsoever and the basil topped baked eggs had a skin on the top so tough that it felt like a large contact lens. Again there was no flavour. The rest of the buffet, in particular the Bircher muesli, was of good quality.

As I was impressed by the service I will be returning to see if the Club rooms and breakfast are an improvement. If not then sadly I will have to return to my usual choice closer to the theatre district.

Room Tip: Perhaps try the Club rooms?
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Int_Academic,

Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your review.

We pride ourselves on the 5 star service we provide our guests; so the Team will be delighted to hear your kind words.

I also appreciate you sharing your feedback and concerns from your recent stay. Please rest assured this information has been passed onto the appropriate teams.

We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to experience one of our brand new Club Guestrooms and InterContinental Club Lounge.

Reviewed 9 May 2014

Not good value compared to other inter continental hotels ,poor service and tired looking rooms $400 per night a rip off don't waste your money ,better value hotels in Wellington ,breakfast is average for value as I am a platinum member no club level was offered to me .

Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
InterContinentalWgtn, General Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Peter R.

As a valued IHG Platinum Rewards Club Member I appreciate the time you have taken to provide us with your feedback and concerns.

We are currently 2/3 of the way through a major hotel refurbishment and we are excited to be able to unveil these changes to our guests.

We would love the opportunity to talk to you further regarding your recent stay. Please email me at wellington@ihg.com so we may discuss the raised points in further detail.

For the meantime we hope to have the chance to welcome you back to InterContinental Wellington to further restore your confidence.