Sometimes there's nothing better than a weekend away, without actually going away - no travelling, no compunction to sightsee, yet no housework either. The refurbished InterContinental (not quite finished - the ground and first floor are still being done) has returned it to being Wellington's top big hotel. Last visit in Feb we stayed in a deluxe spa room on the 5th floor, with Club lounge access. It was a nice large room, with a great spa bath, and the old lounge was nice but aging (service was excellent as usual). This time is was a 'basic' Club room and the lounge was all-new. No complaints about the room at all - discounting the tenants of the ANZ building on Featherston Street who left entire floors fully lit all weekend - no wonder bank fees are outrageous!). The hi-tech cons are fun - electric drapes and bathroom/room divider glass, and the big Samsung TV with proper HD content is far better then the old analogue TV.
The new lounge is a great place to be, with a good wine list (now a mix of brands rather than all Ata Rangi) as before. The food is a step up, and no doubt due to the in-lounge open kitchen where the chefs certainly know there stuff - afternoon tea, canapés with evening drinks, and breakfast were all very good. The eggs benedict were good enough the first morning that we repeated it again the next - and my sides of bacon and rosemary mushrooms from the top-of-the line bain marie made for the perfect brunch. Staff (both lounge and housekeeping) were all fun, friendly, efficient and professional, making you feel immediately at home. Special kudos to the Club lounge's Karen who remembered us from our February visit, although that could have been my copy of World of Fine Wine magazine - I was reading an earlier issue then. More likely though that she's great at her job.
The only two quibbles are those damn lights from across the street (the electric drapes don't go quite far enough to block the light in our room (813)), and the latte this morning could have been hotter. Will we return?
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Adjacent to Wellington's waterfront, InterContinental Wellington is the most centrally-located and experienced global five-star hotel in New Zealand's capital city. It is the seamless and personal service of the team that makes your Wellington experience truly memorable. Spend time with the award-winning concierge team whose tips and insider knowledge can help you discover Wellington arts, events, shopping, and culinary cultures. Whether you choose a standard room or upgrade to a fully-refurbished Deluxe Guestroom you will always stay connected with state of the art technology. Awake rejuvenated after a tranquil night's sleep from your brand new bed with a personalised wake up service. Treat yourself by selecting a Club InterContinental Guestroom or Suite. These offer access to the world-class newly recreated Club InterContinental Lounge with expansive harbour views which will leave you feeling impressed. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, IHG, Hotels.com, Travel Republic (UK), Agoda, Odigeo, Traveltool, S.L.U., TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd and HotelQuickly so you can book your InterContinental Wellington reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Wellington Hotel Wellington
- Wellington Intercontinental