“Once again a 5-star hotel”

InterContinental Wellington
Ranked #3 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Wellington, New Zealand
“Once again a 5-star hotel”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2014

Sometimes there's nothing better than a weekend away, without actually going away - no travelling, no compunction to sightsee, yet no housework either. The refurbished InterContinental (not quite finished - the ground and first floor are still being done) has returned it to being Wellington's top big hotel. Last visit in Feb we stayed in a deluxe spa room on the 5th floor, with Club lounge access. It was a nice large room, with a great spa bath, and the old lounge was nice but aging (service was excellent as usual). This time is was a 'basic' Club room and the lounge was all-new. No complaints about the room at all - discounting the tenants of the ANZ building on Featherston Street who left entire floors fully lit all weekend - no wonder bank fees are outrageous!). The hi-tech cons are fun - electric drapes and bathroom/room divider glass, and the big Samsung TV with proper HD content is far better then the old analogue TV.

The new lounge is a great place to be, with a good wine list (now a mix of brands rather than all Ata Rangi) as before. The food is a step up, and no doubt due to the in-lounge open kitchen where the chefs certainly know there stuff - afternoon tea, canapés with evening drinks, and breakfast were all very good. The eggs benedict were good enough the first morning that we repeated it again the next - and my sides of bacon and rosemary mushrooms from the top-of-the line bain marie made for the perfect brunch. Staff (both lounge and housekeeping) were all fun, friendly, efficient and professional, making you feel immediately at home. Special kudos to the Club lounge's Karen who remembered us from our February visit, although that could have been my copy of World of Fine Wine magazine - I was reading an earlier issue then. More likely though that she's great at her job.

The only two quibbles are those damn lights from across the street (the electric drapes don't go quite far enough to block the light in our room (813)), and the latte this morning could have been hotter. Will we return?

Definitely.

Room Tip: As with any hotel - away from the lifts is best. And an upgrade to the Club floor is worth it - espe...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bowering

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (368)
  • Turkish first
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

I recently stayed here on business and quite frankly I was blown away with the quality and finish of the renovated rooms on level 7 and the funky styling and great service in club lounge. It was the best I've experienced in all my recent travels. On a personal note I'd like to thank Mattius and the team for their welcoming hospitality.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights here during renovations. They have it all under brilliant control and it is very well organised, it didn't impact on our stay at all. We were in one of the newly renovated rooms and it is just gorgeous. Very well presented, great comfort and elegant too. The staff are extremely polite and helpful and nothing is too much trouble. They really made our stay here magical and we will definitely be returning.

Stayed August 2014
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed at the InterContinental during the Football United Tour in July 2014. Brilliant service received over the course of the stay, making our time there an absolute pleasure. The hotel was undergoing a major upgrade, with the Ground Level and part of Level 1 hoarded up with works due for completion in mid-to-late September. All services were still available, and have been relocated to Level 1. We stayed on Level 5 in one of the newly renovated rooms, and it was simply sublime. Brand new queen beds, spotless bathroom and brand new flat screen HD tv. I would rebook with the team at InterContinental Wellington without a moment of hesitation.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the newly renovated rooms, you won't be disappointed!
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

I have had reason to stay in Wellington for extended periods over the last few months and have stayed in pretty much every hotel in the CBD. Don't bother with any of the others. Part of this is due to the service at the Intercontinental and part of it is due to the fact that the other hotels are all very disappointing and depressing. The staff here are handling the current refurbishment well and the updated rooms are comfortable, of a decent size and the bathrooms are great. The beds here fantastic - actually my favorite part of the hotel. The thing that makes this place stand out for me is, however, a consistent approach from staff that makes me feel welcome. The gentlemen who greet you upon arrival remember me and comment on the time since they last saw me, inquiring if I will be needing my usual transportation. I happened to be walking past the hotel last week during a period where I was staying at an inferior hotel and one staff member recognised me, greeted me, asked if he could get me a taxi, even though I was not staying there and had mentioned that. Every morning my coffee is delivered by the nicest woman who has mastered the perfect combination of familiarity with a regular guest and professionalism. I had a problem with accessing movies in the bedroom of a suite even though the TV in the living room was fine. It had not occurred to me to check the other TV as my brain was fried after a horrid day. The gentleman who came to look at my TV (within 2min of my call) tested the system, immediately found that it was the individual set as the other TV worked perfectly and offered to move me straight away to another suite. I told him that I was too tired to move but was thankful for the offer and he asked if he could bring out the spare blankets and pillows to the living room for me so that the comfort of the bedroom was still available while watching the movie. This was really very sweet, especially as he had already offered to move me. It's the small things, but after the day I'd had, it was the first time I had smiled all day. For business travelers, the internet is reliable, which is rare in Wellington hotels. I'm looking forward to seeing what it looks like when the works are completed.

Room Tip: Make sure to book one of the refurbished rooms, anything level 5 and above.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Mikha81
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2014

My experience of the Intercontinental varied from exceptional to dismal. The rooms are comfortable and clean. The beds are luxurious and little touches like a pillow menu and a coffee to accompany your wake up call were all appreciated. But the impact of the renovations was really negative. A cramped entrance, a reduced cafe and an inadequate temporary restaurant marred the experience. Breakfast was served in a cramped temporary room and was really underwhelming - the yogurts were frozen and the eggs watery.

When the drilling noises in the cafe became unbearable, I was disappointed that we were denied access to the 7th floor lounge as an alternative. It would have been a small token of compensation given the corporate rate we had paid.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Marcel_Overseas
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this review, 11 August 2014
Dear Marcel_Overseas,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comments. We are so glad you liked the cleanliness of your room. However, we would like to apologize for any inconvenience the on-going renovation may have caused you. We take our guest comments very seriously and always strive to provide comfortable and friendly accommodations. Thank you for staying and we hope you give us another chance to show you how great our hotel is.

Anthony M
Case Manager
IHGCare
Wellington, New Zealand
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

This hotel needed a refurb so when we saw it being done we thought we would have a night in town and see what it was like. The beds are great as always with IC but some attention to detail is really lacking and the new decor is boring and I would argue already out of date. Beige everywhere has been done to death. They had reused the spa bath in our room instead of replacing it and some sealant etc was still obvious around it. These and someone else's half drunk wine aren't what you expect out of a nearly $500 club room.

The club lounge is great though and well worth it if you can pay the extra. In short - the hotel is good but not great with the exception of the club lounge which is very good

Room Tip: Harbour view and as expensive as you can afford
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at InterContinental Wellington, responded to this review, 8 August 2014
Dear gibraltarwgtn,

Thank you for your review and your valuable insights. Your willingness to spare some of your time to relay your comments is genuinely appreciated. We are sorry to hear the room decor was not to your liking. It is our goal to consistently provide superior service and accommodations at our hotel and your comments are very important to us. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

Again, thank you for your time and for staying with us.

Connie D