“Good Value”

Comfort Hotel Wellington
Ranked #23 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed 20 March 2014

This hotel is great for short stays if you are budget conscious and also want to be right in the heart of the city. Everything is within easy walking distance and there are some excellent eateries close by. The room I was in was small and basic but very clean with a comfortable bed. There was no traffic noise. Would have liked an easy chair and small table as there was little in the way of surface area to put anything down. The staff were efficient and helpful.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Kaye W
QHW, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Thank you for your review. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay as well as the hotel facilities. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to CQ Hotels Wellington again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us directly on our website or send an email and we will take care of your reservation personally.

Reviewed 11 March 2014

I stayed here for a hockey tournament,a s team accommodation. I say this, because the Comfort Hotel is not one I would have chosen if I had made the booking. That is not to say there anything terribly wrong, just that I tend to choose more up-market establishments for myself. First off, the one (and only) real negative - the size of the rooms. We were in a twin room, and the door wouldn't open fully because the bed was too long for the wall space available. Had I needed to spend time in the room other than for sleeping, it would have been annoying. The facilities in the room are minimal - no fridge (though you can request one), shower only. The water pressure was, however, excellent. There is wireless internet throughout the hotel, with half an hour free per day, unless you are a member of their loyalty club, when it is free all day.
The public areas of the hotel are pleasant enough - the building is over 100 years old - with a comfortable bar, and a lounge adjacent to the dining room. I only used the dining-room for breakfast, but that was above average - plenty of choice both hot and cold - hot food replenished regularly so you don't get three hour old scrambled eggs.
Another gripe is the $25 per day car parking charge - a bit steep, considering there is a car park round the corner where you can get a spot for a whole week for $50.
Location is excellent - loads of good, and cheap restaurants within easy walking - shops, Te Papa, and even the Westpac Stadium is only about 20 minutes walk away. Overall - good value for money as long as you don't need to spend too much time in the room.

Room Tip: Rooms looking out over Cuba Street can be quite noisy until very late.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business

Dear gaiteiro,
Thank you for taking time to share your experience with us, I am glad to have made your stay an enjoyable one! Once again thank you and look forward to welcoming you back at CQ Hotels Wellington. Please feel free to contact us directly on our website or send an email and we will take care of your reservation personally.

Reviewed 10 March 2014

Stayed here during the Rugby Sevens for a few nights. The location is good, lobby is nice, and room/bathroom was clean. The room itself was extremely small for two people and the only window opened onto a courtyard that echoed noises from other guest until late in the night. We asked for an extra blanket and pillow; front desk staff questioned the request instead of offering to help. We never received the extra blanket and pillow, even after personally going down to the front desk to ask for them a second time. Called the front desk a different day to ask if they knew where any close costume stores were located and was told they would research it and call back the room in 15 minutes. I never heard from them.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family

Dear Kimberly B,
Thank you for taking the time to tell me about your experience at the CQ Hotels Wellington. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincerest apologies. It is very unfortunate to read that you experienced a disappointing level of service at the Reception desk. We endeavour to provide an excellent customer experience for every guest and in this instance it seems not to have been the case. Your feedback has been forwarded to the Front Office team highlighting them the importance of high level of customer service and the need to minimize the possibility of this happening in the future.
Once again, I appreciate you sharing your concerns and am looking forward to welcoming you again in the near future.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

Due to the rugby 7's we were only got a small room due to the demand. It was clean and comfortable though. It is on Cuba Street were there is plenty going on day and night. The harbour and museum are not too far away as are the shopping area. Didn't like paying NZ$25 per night for parking!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
QHW, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 6 March 2014

Dear Peter_St_Helens,
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay as well as the hotel facilities and location. I do hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to CQ Hotels Wellington again in the near future or during next year’s 7’s tournament.
I have also taken careful note of your comment in regards to the hotel car parking fee; while our actual car parking fee is currently sitting below the average inner city Wellington hotels, your feedback will be highlighted during our next pricing review.

Reviewed 2 March 2014

My room was clean and quiet. It had most of what I needed, except for a mini-fridge in case I wanted to keep fresh milk. If you're a member, the Internet is free, which is quite a bonus in this class of hotel. My particularly bugbear was the television shelf. I hit my head badly on the shelf four times. They should either round the end or reposition the furniture. Otherwise the staff are friendly and the position is great to take advantage of all that Cuba Street has to offer. Breakfast is expensive, but there are many alternatives just outside.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

Dear Mzantsi2,
Thank you for your reviews of CQ Hotels Wellington.
I am thrilled to read that you enjoyed your recent stay with us. The team takes great pride in the service they deliver and I was pleased to share your comments with them.
I have also taken careful note of your comment in regards to the TV shelf; I hope that you are fine and you were able to seek first aid from our team. I have also asked our maintenance department to review and check all shelves in the hotel immediately. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.
I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to CQ Hotels Wellington again soon. Please feel free to contact us directly on our website and we will take care of your reservation personally.

Reviewed 20 February 2014

It's in a convenient location on Cuba Street with a good range of cafes, restaurants and shops on the doorstep. The room (#552) was large, clean and quiet with all the basic stuff you need - mini fridge with wine, water and potato chips, tea & coffee facilities, flat screen TV, basic kitchen facilities. Soft-ish mattress with thick pillows that can be changed if you ask housekeeping for something less poofy.

The bathroom is an OK size but a couple of personal niggles: no drawers of cupboards under the sink for storage and the oddest designed shower I've seen outside of southern country France - less than 1m square, no door or closing, just a couple of narrow pieces of floor to ceiling glass that are supposed to contain the water. Well, they don't. So be prepared for soggy bath mats and a wet floor.

The complimentary WiFi is only for 30 minutes at a time. My advice is to ask for a couple of access codes so you're not limited to half an hour each time you want to check your emails.

Breakfast was nothing special but a decent enough range of the usual fare: fresh fruit, yogurt, hot food, toast, cereal, cheap juice, ordinary coffee etc.

Staff are polite, friendly and happy to help with anything - top marks for great attitude and service.

In summer, it's not special, but it does the job and it's alright for a few days in the heart of Wellington.

Room Tip: Room 552 on the south side away from Cuba Street was quiet - well away from the lifts and at the end...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank 00DW00
QHW, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Dear Donna W
Thank you for your review. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay as well as the hotel facilities. I do hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back to CQ Hotels Wellington again in the near future. Please feel free to contact us directly on our website or send an email directly to us and we will take care of your reservation personally.

Reviewed 11 February 2014

Do not stay any where near the elevator shaft - room 324 is so noisy it was setting my teeth on edge - I wanted to
Work but the constant drone
Clanks and foot traffic actually sent me over the edge - i begged to move - no solution was found! The staff tried but I found it appalling that no noise reduction had been attempted to reduce this in this modern age - I DO NOT RECOMMEND!!! Especially to the noise sensitive! I am exhausted and beside myself I am about to pull
All bedding into the bath room for some peace!

• Stayed: February 2014
QHW, General Manager at Comfort Hotel Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Dear Hails1978,
I sincerely regret the disturbance in regards to the noise coming from the elevator shaft. After your comment made to the reception desk, we immediately contacted the lift contractor asking them to check on the issue that you have raised, they will work with us to try to isolate any potential noise coming from this level. Sorry again for the inconvenience and thank you for bringing this to our attention. I have asked our reservation department to allocate you with a room away from the lifts and this for any future stay with us. We are looking forward to welcoming you back again in a very near future. Please feel free to contact us directly on our website and we will take care of your reservation personally.