“Not a bad place”

The Cambridge Hotel
Ranked #16 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights in a single room on the hotel side. Room was a good size, had a large window, TV and fridge. The bathrooms and showers are clean. The hotel has laundry services, there's an ironing board where you can iron your clothes, it is close to the supermarket and has a kitchen. The reception staff aren't terribly interested in guests. I could not hear the noise from the pub from my room but there are people staying there long - term who seem to spend most of their time listening to the TV loudly, so got around the problem by leaving the TV on at night in order to fall asleep. If you must use a lift in order to get to/from your room, note that as it is one of those old fashioned lifts where you must close the "gate", it often would not work as some guests did not close the gate properly. I don't know about the dorm facilities though. As the location is good as well I would probably stay there again if I was in Wellington.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank sunchick11

Reviewed 12 January 2013

I stayed in a four-bed dorm room for four nights in January 20113. There are two bunk beds in each room. A pillow, mattress cover and blanket were provided. The room was basic but comfortable, with one chair, a heater and towel rail for the roommates to share. I am 160cm in height and I had a bottom bed bunk. I was unable to sit upright on my bed to read but had to slouch slightly, as the top bunk was a little low. I would suggest a taking a top bunk, if you would like to sit upright on your bed.

I travelled to Wellington alone, so ended up sharing a room with strangers but this was fine. My roommates were very friendly and we shared nice conversations. It helped that my roommates were considerate of each other, with lights out my 10.30pm so that I was able to sleep well.

There is a communal kitchen, which was reasonably tidy. The bathrooms are shared, ie male and female together but again this was fine. The bathrooms were clean and had hair dryers. The hand sinks are a little small and the showers are a bit cold but these are minor things. The staff were friendly and overall, I enjoyed my stay there. Everything was fine, in light of the price I paid to stay there. There is a short walk to Courtney Place, for cheap places to eat and a New World supermarket right down the road, which was convenient.

Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank PennyfromAuckland
Reviewed 20 December 2012 via mobile

Excellent location! So close to town, brilliant having 24 hr reception, staff are great & very friendly.
Kitchen bit messy but generally perfect for backpackers. Offers everything you need. Definitely recommended!

• Stayed: November 2012
1  Thank Lauren P
MightyCambridge, Front Office Manager at The Cambridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2013

Thank you for your lovely review!
We are stoked that you enjoyed the Hotel as much as we do!

We ensure the kitchen gets cleaned every couple of hours now to ensure it is not messy. We also have a cutlery system, which ensures no dirty dishes are left in the kitchen... this is unfortunately the only way we can ensure guests get clean cutlery sets daily.

Hope to see you again!
Cambridge Hotel

Reviewed 17 November 2012

Booked this hotel/hostel as I was on a budget. just $55 a night for a single room, which if basic was clean and tidy and had sky:) The hotel was above a bar but was not noisy even on a friday night. Located right in the heart of Wellington's CBD in Courtney Place this is an excellent location in which to stay in budget accommodation, reception staff very efficient and friendly even at midnight. Only downside and it is small was the bed, kind of sank down in the middle - like it had given up and was envisioning a previous life as a waterbed.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank dgp1
Reviewed 28 October 2012

Had 3 nights here in Oct 2012, and no complaints at all. Handy to everything in the CBD so just walked everywhere. Backpackers rooms available, too, but separate to the hotel side. Totally recommend the Cambridge Hotel to all :-)

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Sally M
MightyCambridge, Manager at The Cambridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 October 2012

Hello, Thank you very much for your feedback. We are really pleased you enjoyed your stay with us.
We look forward to seeing you again someday.

Kind regards
Julie

Reviewed 8 October 2012

We stayed here for a long weekend in Wellington. It is an amazing old building - the first time we'd ever been in a lift with a cage that you pull across the door (like in the movies). It was really good price-wise, cheap as chips. The room was very small, with it's own very small ensuite shower - which suited us just fine. We were travelling with others, so would have benefitted from an area to sit down, so we ended up going out more than we might have done. All round a good cheap place to stay - clean and tidy with lots of character. I would avoid on a Friday or Saturday due to being above a pub (a lot of noise until 3am one night). It is also a backpackers, I believe for an even cheaper bargain. Beds very comfortable.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
MightyCambridge, Manager at The Cambridge Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2012

Thank you very much for your feed back, Sounds like you had a good stay with us which is great. We hope to see you again next time you are in Wellington.

Reviewed 12 September 2012

Everything about the accommodation was good - room & service. Unfortunately the same cannot be said about the 'day' bar staff who we felt didn't even want to be there and had that same attitude towards our group! Very poor service and the worst I've ever experienced even to the point where we had to had to wipe down our own tables with a dirty cloth that the bar staff came over with! The bar staff had no uniform and actually blended in with customers! We ordered breakfast which took forever to cook even though we were the only customers and they had the essentials under a baine marie. The scrambled eggs had a lot of liquid and seemed as though it had been cooked in water - never eating their eggs again. The only thing this pub going for it is the 'night' bar staff who were a pleasure to deal with and also the accommodation staff!

• Stayed: September 2012

Hi, We really appreciate your feed back. Could you please advise us via our email address info@cambridgehotel.co.nz which day this took place in our bar as we would like the chance to fix this problem. We are very sorry for your unpleasant experience. We are glad you found our accommodation and our night bar staff good. Thanks again for your feedback.