“Very disappointing”

Quest On The Terrace
New Zealand
“Very disappointing”
Reviewed 8 June 2013

The only complimentary thing I have to say about Quest on the Terrace is the location - it's very handy to the government building grounds, the harbour and Lambton Quay. Other than the handy location, every single thing about our stay at Quest on the Terrace was disappointing.

First and foremost, we booked our room through Wotif and our booking stated we would receive
"a free bottle of wine upon check-in to indulge your tastebuds". There was no bottle of wine upon check-in but we hoped maybe it was already in the room. It was not. When my husband went down to reception to ask about it, taking the copy of our Wotif booking print-out with him, he was met with denial of any such deal. After pushing the matter further, showing the reception staff and the Director that had been summoned our booking print-out which clearly promised a bottle of wine, my husband was told to return to our room and it would be "sorted out in 5 to 10 minutes". We took this to mean that they would be rushing out to the shop to purchase a bottle of wine, as there clearly was never a bottle of wine that had been included in our booking. 45 minutes later we were tired of sitting in our room and wanted to go out and just as we opened the door to go back to reception to tell them to sort it out while we went out, the "Director" was just coming to knock on our door to deliver our bottle of wine. He didn't say a single word as he handed the cheapest, nastiest bottle of Merlot to my husband and disappeared back into the lift!! Not only did he obviously spend 45 minutes running out to the shops to buy a bottle of wine, he gave us the cheapest bottle available ($7 - we know this as we had to buy a bottle of wine for the evening at the supermarket on account of neither of us being Merlot drinkers!) but there was not a word of apology. If he had to run out to buy a bottle specially, because the "deal" on Wotif was obviously a sham, why not ask us what type of wine we wanted!?!

The studio room we had did not look anything at all like the photos shown on either this website (provided by management) or the Quest website. Those photos show a bright, spacious studio. We opened the door to find a tiny, cramped triangle shaped room with barely enough space to walk around the furniture. There was a useless dining table and chairs taking up way more room than necessary, the bed protruded into the centre of the room on a weird angle due to the triangle shape of the room, there was a huge leather armchair right in front of the wardrobe so that you couldn't access the wardrobe at all and the tiny bathroom was up a weird couple of steps. The room was incredbily dark and we had to keep the lights on all the time, day or night, as it was on the internal side of the corner of the building, looking out onto the building next door with only a slither of a view to the Terrace visible. Certainly no lovely big windows with a door to a balcony as shown in management's photos. There was absolutely nowhere to put our bags without the need to step over or around them. The room was cluttered with unnecessary furniture - the dining table was of no use to us at all and the huge armchair completely blocked the wardrobe and one of us had to sit on the bed while the other sat in the armchair - what's the point??? I'm posting photos with this review to show the difference between the advertised room and the reality.

As well as the room being cramped and cluttered, there were 4 electrical appliances plugged into one very old-looking four-plug adapter that buzzed and emanated a very dodgy heat - surely a fire hazard. There were also switches in the bathroom marked 'heat' and 'fan' but there was no heat or fan facility in the bathroom at all and didn't do anything when the switches were turned on. The same in the kitchen where there was a switch for a waste disposal but no such waste disposal unit! Massive screws in the wall showed where the tv obviously used to be mounted to the wall and the front door had a dead-bolt type lock that didn't actually do anything - the door was locked from the outside but the dead-bolt on the inside was apparently just for show.

In terms of cleanliness, the bathroom had a faintly unpleasant smell to it, as though the floor could do with a good scrub, but other than that it appeared clean enough. The reception area was another matter, as the smell of re-heated Indian food seemed to permeate the reception and lifts every day we were there.

There is no parking area dedicated to the Quest when you first arrive (we sucked it up and shelled out for an hour in the nearby Clifton Terrace Tournament carpark when we first arrived) and when we asked about the overnight parking arrangements, as detailed in our Wotif booking, we got the feeling that the girl on reception couldn't be bothered to arrange it for us as she told us it would cost us extra and we could just park on the street along the Terrace for free until 8am. When we commented that we would prefer secure parking and didn't want the hassle of having to find a street park nearby and then have to move the car in the morning anyway, she reluctantly gave us instructions to the Tournament parking building that they charged us $20 a night for, which ended up only being secure between 9pm and 6am anyway and about 250m from the building as well!

Overall, the service we encountered was rude and the room was far from what is advertised on their website and I would never ever stay at Quest on Terrace again, nor would I recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank rin007

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (55)
Reviewed 29 May 2013

I stayed here on business for what was going to be 2 weeks. I lasted 3 nights. Don't expect lovely views- I got windows covered in scaffolding so I was almost unable to view the motorway. If you're a light sleeper do not stay here as the motorway is noisy. I was working night shift so was not a happy camper when someone knocked on my door very early in the morning with breakfast that I did not order. Just fell asleep when a builder, perched on the scaffolding outside, thumped on my window to get my attention. He said he had to come in my room to fix a window. I reluctantly let him in ( still in my pjs) thinking it would be quick job. 3 hours later he left.
I had a parcel delivered to the apartments clearly named that never made it to me despite numerous calls to the receptionist. I don't know where it ended up but I do suspect the staff know.
All in all, very unhappy with the stay. Will never return.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Melbourne
Reviewed 19 May 2013

I spent q week in the hotel and found it clean by all means. I was a lone traveller so was ok with access from Lambton Quay and Terrace. I suppose could be tricky for families with kids etc? The Hotel is located within the CBD and walking distance to the water front and Government offices, Business areas, the ferry, attractions and eating places depending on one's reason for visiting? The staff were friendly as far as I was concerned, although there was trouble with my transactions through Cash Passport, charged government tax which shouldn't have been? Important to emphasise this upon arrival if you are using Cash Passport for service or paying your bills? I love walking so was not a problem walking to Cuba street and the lovely scene there and about? Taxi's and buses are readily available in Lambton Quay if coming home late at night? The hotel is clean and I enjoyed my stay. The reason for the 3 Star to me is possibly as result of the hotel rates which seem exorbitant but probably not too bad given rest of Wellington?

Room Tip: Not much in terms of street views as is beefed between high rise buildings..!!
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 16 May 2013

We stayed here as a family for four nights. Arriving isn't a great experience as there is no dedicated drop-off and the Quest car park is about 200m away - not great if you have luggage and supplies etc for your stay. However, the location is really very good- there is a short cut public access to Lambton Quay through the James Cook hotel and elevator, and so it is a quick walk to the beehive one way and Cuba St the other. Wellington is hilly, so be prepared for a few slopes! The apartment itself was rather tired looking and really not all that well laid out. The kitchen was adequate and the appliances were modern although the kitchen equipment was rather sparse, so bring your own knives and tongs. Beds were comfortable and staff were friendly although their spoken English wasn't great. Overall we were reasonably satisfied but this was not as comfortable or modern as other Quest's we have stayed in.

Room Tip: All the apartments are different so ask for a room layout and photos before booking
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 12 May 2013

This was our (2 adults & 2 children) first trip to Wellington and stayed at the Quest on the Terrace for 2 nights and overall, we were disappointed. The service pre-stay was very good with helpful advice being provided by the staff as to what would be the most suitable room for us. However that's where the positives end. The staff member who checked us in/out was friendly but very vague - particularly with directions. The hotel is not child (i.e. pram) friendly with stairs to access the lift and stairs to get to the room, then more stairs in the room itself. The location is not really in the city centre but up the top of a steep hill - not great at the end of the day with tired and cranky children. Construction work was underway, which we were not informed of, and opening the curtains in the morning to come face-to-face with a construction worker was not ideal. Overall, we would not stay here again if we returned to Wellington.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Fafabee

Travellers are raving about these Wellington hotels

Christchurch
Reviewed 10 May 2013

I stayed for a one night work visit to Wellington and I'm very glad I didn't pay out of my own pocket! I always compare Quests to the great one at 363 Queen St Auckland - well priced and just, nice! This one on The Terrace is not great. I was supposed to be in a studio, but found myself upgraded to a two bedroom bizarrely laid-out enormous apartment 12D. All the light switches and power plugs were in odd places, there were steps up and down all over the place and the furniture was like something from a 1980's office! I thought it was clean until I looked under the sofa cushions...Kitchen seemed well kitted out for a long stay though and the bed was comfy. Carpet was shabby, curtains were oversized and the second bedroom was internal, so they had put arty square 'holes in the wall' through to the lounge to let in light. How would that help children get to sleep when the tele is on in the lounge?! Not to mention privacy for adults... Not even a box of tissues in the bathroom, where I found the shower caddy held on with a twisted piece of number 8 wire! Front entrance had steps to struggle up and the lift shuddered it's way up and down the building. Quests are franchises and I really think they need to improve their standard level of quality so that customers know what to expect when they choose to stay at a Quest Hotel.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank tipsfromatraveller
Surfers Paradise, Australia
Reviewed 29 April 2013

We've been to Wellington many times and stayed in 3 other Quest hotels. We read the negative reviews after booking, but decided to continue as the location suited our purposes. We stayed 4 nights and even though our lounge area overlooked the freeway we did have leafy views of the homes and hillside beyond, much more interesting than boring office blocks. The freeway noise, though noticeable was not overpowering. The bed was very comfortable, pillows great, and all appliances brand new. The apartment was clean, but the area outside the lift could have done with a good vacuum. We found the staff friendly and helpful, but did take on board earlier reviews and ensured we did not stray outside reception hours. We would certainly stay again and plan to do so on our next visit to Windy Wellington.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple