“Delish in funky setting”

Portlander Bar & Grill
Ranked #71 of 1,007 Restaurants in Wellington
Price range: US$19 - US$38
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: In a relaxing and friendly environment we invite our guests to revel in all the freshness and goodness our little slice of the world provides. PORTLANDER Nestled in a spot where land meets sea, the Portlander is a unique take on the grill house concept - one which is local, seasonal, cultivated... and just a little bit wild. We're about superb cuts of meat, prepared to perfection and finished in style. Bloody rare and rather well done - it's the ideal place to eat meat and greet. PORTLANDER is the proud winner of 'BEST RESTAURANT' at the Hospitality New Zealand Awards for Excellence 2015
Reviewed 29 September 2013

Beautiful interior, and loved the fresh oysters display next to the cured meat, I assume it was for the deli selection plate. I had the salmon tarte which was nicely balanced with the herbs, acidity of the lemon and the creamy texture of the salmon but my fav on the plate was scallop carpaccio. For my main I had the rib eye which was cooked perfectly med rare, with the potatoes which had a nice mild spice and the beetroot which were balsamic and honey roasted although they just tasted like roasted beetroot to me (the only let down). The service was attentive and we were given what we needed.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

We were staying at Rydges so went to the Portlander on the last night of our stay. Pleasant atmosphere and friendly staff. I had the pumpkin risotto and my husband had the burger; both were quite nice but just a little too much garlic so that you're left feeling quite thirsty for the rest of the night.

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Arrived on probably the worst day of weather in Wellington this year for lunch but the welcome was brilliant.
Booked the day before on the phone and the gentleman who answered couldn't understand me.
Turns out he took down the wrong name and had no booking for me. Oh well - quickly sorted.
Sat the four of us down and our waiter was a young Italian or Eastern European man. Helpful enough but we had a rough time understanding him and vice-versa.
Ordered breads [nice!] to start and joined by a good Pinot Noir. Mains were patchy. The Burger was pretty awesome. The Louisiana Chicken delicately cooked but totally tasteless and left half-eaten - poor starving Mum. Caesar Salad was executed with some flair but bland and overdone with dressing. The Soup was ok. Our ordered sides failed to arrive so I had to ask about them. Waiter was a little surprised that he had forgotten - but he was trying VERY hard to please. The Beetroot arrived half way through lunch but was also bland although the Handcut Chips were tasty. Was about to leave a tip for the waiter but thought better of it.
So all in all an average experience. Sorry team. We wont be back :-(

Reviewed 13 September 2013

Loved the menu, ambience, service, staff. What's not to like! I had the Wangunui steak one night and my husband and I shared the seafood/fish platter another night - wonderful - and our first taste of paua - a local delicacy.

Reviewed 11 September 2013 via mobile

I ordered the fish of the day and it was very nice. Well seasoned and great flavors. The staff were polite.
The atmosphere is a bit lacking but the food makes up for it.