“One day in Wellington”

Walk Wellington
Ranked #2 of 45 Tours in Wellington
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Take a walk - Every day at 10.00am, Walk Wellington gives you an excellent introduction into this exuberant, walkable city and its people. Our guides have a deep knowledge and love of Wellington and enjoy helping to make your visit an absolutely positively fantastic experience. Walks take about two hours. We walk every day except Christmas Day and Good Friday, rain or shine, so it's best to dress to suit the weather. During the summer (December through March) take advantage of Wellington's long days with an evening walk on Monday, Wednesday or Friday at 5.30pm. Walk Wellington tours leave from the temporary i-SITE Visitor Centre 111 Wakefield St at Cuba St, adjacent to Civic Square. Look for the guide in the bright, green vest! Our stand is just inside the doors on the left.
Los Angeles, California
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“One day in Wellington”
Reviewed 24 March 2014

I included Wellington in my New Zealand itinerary for 2 reasons: Interislander ferry between Wellington and Picton - I wanted to approach the Marlborough Sounds by a boat , and for the pictures of the Wellington cable car in the travel guides. What I got was my favorite city in NZ, ( I was not there for the cities but the nature). I loved the location, the size, the views, the culture... So, my adventure started by a very typical windy landing at 8:30am, grabbed some brochures after getting luggage, got on a shuttle, stored my luggage in a hostel, and by 10:00 am I was at the i-site location downtown catching a drizzly walk around town with our awesome guide Gavin. He was passionate about the city, about the geography, political views, culture, and the history, Gavin carried a folder with pictures of what the city used to look like and always found us a spot to stop in an area sheltered from the wind. Without him I wouldn't have noticed all the amazing statues, sculptures and fountains this city has. We learned about the 3 parliament, buildings and even went to the old wooden cathedral at the end of the tour. It lasted longer than the advertised 2 hours and after the two hours were up he continued the tour a bit longer for the two interested participants - guess who was one of them.... I am so glad I did a walking tour as opposed to the hop on /hop off bus. It felt very personal as if a friend was taking me through his town. Later I took the cable car of course, went to Te Papa Museum, and saw a dance concert at the St. James theater, given there was the biennial cultural festival while I was there, I took advantage of it. In the 24 hours I was there there was a canoeing race and a 3K,5K,1/2 marathon and full marathon. Just a lively, lovely place.

Copenhagen, Denmark
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Experience Wellington with a local tour guide”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

Kerry was extremely good as our tour guide to the wonderful city of Wellington.
We had the opportunity to learn from her in few hours important information for the capital city of New Zealand.
l will definitely recommend this tour to all visitors in Wellington.

Maidstone, United Kingdom
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Walk Wellington”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

Kit provided us with a most interesting walk around Wellington. Every place we went was of great interest and she was full of history and knowledge about the locations. We felt that we learnt so much about Wellington in the 2+ hours that we walked through the city. We would recommend this tour to any visitor to Wellington.

Allington, United Kingdom
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Walk Wellington”
Reviewed 4 March 2014

This was our first trip to Wellington and we were very glad to have signed on to this trip which gave us an excellent insight into the history of Wellington. Mark gave us an interesting tour and useful suggestions of ways to spend the afternoon. Well worth it.

St. Albert, Canada
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Well worth it”
Reviewed 2 March 2014

Even though we had spent a few hours here prior to our walking tour we learned so much more than our guidebook could ever tell us! Our guide Stella was friendly & knowledgable , without her guidance we would have walked right by some of the lovely installation art that abounds here. Our 2 hour tour stretched to almost 3 & Stella graciously guided us back to a store I wanted to visit.

Visited January 2014