“Great hotel in the business district”

Bolton Hotel Wellington
Ranked #3 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed 11 July 2014

Had meetings at the New Zealand Parliament and this was the perfect hotel as it is only a four minute walk from the Beehive.

I booked a junior suite and this provided all the amenities needed including a washing machine a large refrigerator, iron, ironing board etc., range of teas and coffees.

The food is a bit pricey but I guess one comes to expect inflated hotel food prices these days. Lots of options around town if you do not want to eat at he hotel.

The bed was very comfortable and I had no difficulty sleeping.

Staff was also super friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank wanderinganancy
HotelMD, Manager at Bolton Hotel Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Many thanks for a great review, I very much appreciated your comments.

There are newer reviews for Bolton Hotel Wellington

Reviewed 11 July 2014

We had a lovely stay here - great helpful staff (especially at breakfast), and beautiful comfy rooms. Love the bedspreads and a decent kitchen area.

The hotel is right off one of Wellington's main business streets (the Terrace) so great for us when we had to head to work in the morning. Easy walking distance to the waterfront, Parliament, tourist sites if that's what you're there for. Ok gym facilities and nice pool and spa.

Let down slightly by the terrible television(!) but otherwise was a nice relaxing stay-cation for us.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelMD, Owner at Bolton Hotel Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2014

Thank your for your review, I very much appreciated your comments. Your stay coincided with the upgrade of our TV system, we installed a new our head end and we are installing new smart TV sets in all our rooms. During the changeover we did not appreciate the reduced the reception on our older TV sets, we apologise for this.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

We came to stay at the hotel as a family for a school holiday treat for our daughters who had never stayed at a Hotel before. When we arrived the reservation manager informed me that he had heard how excited my girls were about their stay (I had rung earlier to book car park and told the lady on the phone) and so he had upgraded us from the Bolton Suite to the Residential Suite! What a treat. The kids were blown away by the luxury of the suite (as were we) and it really made our trip even more special. We also had a great swim in the pool - we had it all to ourselves which was even better :) . The only downside was the TV's, where we had a bit of trouble (though they sorted our lounge one out very quickly with the help of maintenance) , and no Cartoon Network which is said they had but didn't...but luckily they had a DVD library so the kids managed to find something there to watch in their room. All in all an amazing stay which we all loved!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family

Thank you I very much enjoyed reading your review and I was delighted that our front desk team had anticipated your family’s excitement about coming to stay with us. Since your stay we have upgraded the TV system and we are in the process of installing new smart TV sets in all our rooms.

Reviewed 9 July 2014

A mixed review of the Bolton I'm afraid, because I do think this hotel has the potential to be a great one.

Pros:
- Clean and tidy rooms
- Reasonable Decor
- Fast room service
- The night manager was a pleasure, engaging in conversation and banter on my departure

Cons:
- I was ignored twice when getting out of the lift for the restaurant. I was left standing there while two staff members talked, I had to say "shall I take a seat?"
- The bed was terrible. I'm particularly fussy when it comes to beds, I'll admit, but this one had a definite 'groove' that I rolled in to when trying to sleep.
- The heating was switched on before I arrived which was lovely, but adjusting the temperature was a nightmare. There are instructions on the wall next to the unit but even following them proved frustrating to get it to the right temperature.
- The valet parking was confusing. There was no clear signage of where to pull up when I first arrived. It turns out the valet was down a side street next to the building. Because there was no where to park to unload baggage, I simply parked in public parking down the road to avoid getting a ticket. The concierge was happy to walk down and get my car, how ever.
- Although room service was prompt, the food itself left a lot to be desired. I tried a few things off the menu and nothing was of good restaurant quality. The home made ice cream wasn't great, I barely finished it, and I'm not a fussy eater.
- Wireless was dodgy, I had to have my laptop wired after 20 minutes of a staff member in my room trying to figure it out. Turns out he needed to restart the router (something I told him had to be done in the beginning).
- 2 out of the 3 phone portals weren't working, so when I wanted to use the phone, I had to unplug my laptops internet.

All in all the service was good most of the time, but the actual hotel left a bit to be desired. I wont be staying here again, there are better options in the city for the price.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
3  Thank Whitney T

Thank you for your very comprehensive review, this was much appreciated, our team have discussed and taken on board the matters raised.

Reviewed 22 June 2014

This was our second time visiting The Bolton Hotel, this time we spent two wonderful nights instead of the one and had such a great time. Lovely staff, room and food at Artisan, the staff there are excellent as well. The only place I would ever stay in Wellington, I can't wait to come back again.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
HotelMD, Owner at Bolton Hotel Wellington, responded to this reviewResponded 27 June 2014

I am so pleased you enjoyed our hotel it was a pleasure to read your review. Thank you.

Reviewed 21 June 2014 via mobile

We went to Wellington to catch up with family and tried the Bolton for a change.

Located at the north end of the CBD, it's a bit far fron the restaurant district around Courtney Place but it would be great if in town on business - especially if that involved government entities.

The place is modern and the rooms very quiet and comfortable. The package we were on included breakfast - a buffet rather better than many hotel offerings.

Parking, like most hotels, is expensive but they have a cool car stacker. Extracting your car is relatively quick.

Try the antipasti platter with a nice red in the mezzanine bar

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and lovely comments. I was pleased you enjoyed our restaurant and bar service.

Reviewed 18 June 2014

We could not fault it. A week was not long enough.
The room was great with a kitchen area. Bed lovely.
The service was good and the high-ish prices to be expected when things are this good.
Will go again if we are ever up to the huge flight duration!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple

I enjoyed reading your review and I was pleased you enjoyed our facilities and service.