“Good value and location.”
Review of The Setup on Dixon

The Setup on Dixon
Reading, United Kingdom
“Good value and location.”
Reviewed 19 August 2014 via mobile

I booked a single room here last minute for a week. It was the cheapest result on booking.com and I was pleasently surprised at what was included etc. I arrived at 1am and followed the3 instructions given to me to check in but no key was left so I had to call the manager... no biggie. Room was big, clean and well equiped with a TV, fridge, very comfortable bed, heater, desk, chair etc. Very quiet too so slept well. Bathroom was also very clean but I found the timers (3mins) on the showers extremely frustrating as you cannot press the button again for a while so had to go to a different cubicle. I booked this also for the free wifi but this seemed to be ot true which was dissappointing. I had to purchase more twice as you're only allocated a certain amount and it ran out in 2 days when it should lasted my whole stay. Overall quite impressed and would definately recommend to anyone.

Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
thesetup, Guest Relations Manager at The Setup on Dixon, responded to this review, 17 September 2014
Thank you for your positive feedback and for sharing your experience. I am glad to read that you enjoyed the our facilities. We have already realised the problem in our shower cubicle and we are currently changing the timer. Thank you again for your feedback and looking forward to welcoming you in a near future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Nelson-Tasman Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Location was perfect for conference at Te Papa. Let down was noisy people in next door room, but if you are wanting to be able to have a good nite sleep don't stay here due to the noise from clubs and people on the street. Overall clean and tidy.

Room Tip: Don't get one facing Dixon Street.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your review. As you mentioned, location is one of our advantages and I am pleased that found our hostel convenient for your conference. On the other hand, I am so sorry about the noise from your neighbour as well as the clubs nearby. We are planning to provide ear plugs to all our guests since we are located in central city and noise is unavoidable during the weekend.Thank you for your feedback and it is very helpful.
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Impressed by the room
Not sure about the " you are being watched " and " wanted " signs
Could do with a better organised kitchen
I think this place is great overall, they just need to be a hostel or a lodge... Being both kinda doesn't work well.

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I am very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay with us. Sorry about the notice in our kitchen it is just because of we got some complaints from our guests before and have to put some notice there.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 August 2014

I was in Wellington for lectures at Massey. The setup is only a couple of stops from the the airport on the bus. I negotiated a late check in with the after hours manager, Carl, with no hassles at all. Room was tidy, well furnished. I self catered some of my meals and the kitchen was modern and well equipped.

I faintly heard some bass thumping one night before I went to bed, but it was not the residents of The Setup, it was a neighboring floor or building - but it wasn't a bother and didn't keep me up.

The staff were accommodating and stored my luggage for free whilst attending my last days lectures. I didn't expect the staff to be mind readers, and any request I made with them was honored.

Room Tip: Outer wall rooms seem to have a nicer layout.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Thank you so much for sending your feedback to us after your recent stay with us. I am so glad that you enjoyed your stay and found our location perfectly suited to your needs.We are always happy to help with guests who want to check in late or want to keep their luggages with us for a while. Thank you again for your lovely comment and I am looking forward to welcoming you again here in Wellington.
Reviewed 13 August 2014

Location was perfect. Right in the centre of town and close to a lot of different shops and so cheap. Only let down were the noisy people in the room next door but nothing major. And the fact that me and my partner only got one towel each and we stayed a long weekend. Because we were out exploring all day, by the time we got back to the room (6.30pm) the office was closed and couldn't get fresh towels. Luckily, i packed my own just incase! But rooms should be supplied with fresh towels daily is my recommendation.

• Stayed August 2014
thesetup, Guest Relations Manager at The Setup on Dixon, responded to this review, 16 September 2014
Thank you for taking valuable time to give us your feedback. I am pleased to learn that you've had an enjoyable time with us and that you found the location to your liking. Also, I am sorry for the towel and actually we have a duty manager living in that level and you can call him any time when you need a anything from us. Thank you again for you time and I am looking forward to welcoming you in the future.
Rotorua, New Zealand
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Relatively cheap and convenient, though the $9 a night price rise is unwarranted. I had very loud neighbors and couldn't sleep due to the noise of a club nearby, so bring ear plugs. There is little in the way of service, you must put a sign on your door to request your room be serviced, though you'll be lucky if it gets done the first time. If you want a hotel, don't stay here. If you want to find other travellers to hang out with, don't stay here. If you need to be in this area, are very independent and impervious to loud noise, then for sure stay here.

Room Tip: Stay away from the reception area where long term tenants and management talk loudly about goings on...
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you so much for your review and it is really helpful to us. We are planning to provide ear plugs to each of our rooms in case our guests need them. As to the room service, we have a policy of one service per week which means if one stay for more than one week, they receive one room service once a week. You have also mentioned about the reception area, and we are now combining all the short-term rooms near reception area with our reception and keep our short-term guests away from our long-term tenants as well as reception area. Thank you again for your review and much appreciated.
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 August 2014

I had a private room with ensuite very spacious and clean.
Also with fridge and coffee or tea facilities very useful
The internet worked really well.
In all a good stay for a quick trip to the capital

Review collected in partnership with this hotel

I'd like to thank you for your review on your recent stay with us. I am so glad you had an excellent stay at our hostel and you enjoyed our facilities. I'd love to welcome you back in the future!