“Good enough again”

Ranked #24 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Christchurch, Canterbury, New Zealand
“Good enough again”
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Abel Tasman is a good average hotel, close to everything, comfortable and I've stayed there many times and will again, and pretty quiet even though not double glazed and room on busy Willis Street. Room was clean, bed was large, comfortable. Bathroom area could have done with some updating and maintenance e.g. tile missing. Lightbulb needed replacing - left note and nothing done. A bit chaotic in the restaurant, whether this was new staff not sure but people weren;t communicating. First breakfast able to order off alacarte menu even thought it was busy. Coffee didn't come until after breakfast had been cooked and eaten (and others experienced this too). Second morning couldn't order alacarte even though few people in, because apparently there were more coming. So rather strange.

Room Tip: Away from Willis Street
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
AbelTasman169, General Manager at Mercure Wellington Abel Tasman Hotel, responded to this review, 12 June 2014
Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are delighted to hear you stayed on several occasions and will continue to stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Best wishes
Jody Dickinson

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 26 May 2014

Well to start I booked a room with one Queen bed....I think it was the Queen superior. On arrival the room had a queen bed and a single. I called down to reception and said I was in the wrong room to be told that was not the case as all Queen superiors now had an extra bed for clients comfort. Please explain how this adds comfort when the queen has now been pushed further across the room not allowing you to be able to open the wall cupboard.
Last time I was in NZ I went to look at the hotel and was shown the new "re-vamped" rooms which looked really nice, hence why I booked to stay here this trip. I must say I was very disappointed as you have just not managed to get the the same level as your competition even with the re-vamp. The following are little things that really bring down the standard. The TV volume on the one channel cannot be made loud enough to hear so one has to sit on the end of the bed to hear the program. When asking reception to look into this they told me there is anything they can do. The lighting in the room is shocking..... as far too dull. As mentioned earlier the wall cupboard is now not accessible due to the queen being pushed across to accommodate the single bed. Most people booking a queen are not expecting to have someone else sleep in their room, so DON"T need the single bed. Rather give the option.... do you want the queen or the queen with a single.
I don't know if anyone from the hotel has actually slept n the new re-vamped room, as if they have they will see the room is not at all dark as the curtains are of such thin fabric they allow the light in as the sun rises. A hotel of this calibre should not have this situation. A simple thing like a full length mirror is a standard issue in hotel rooms today....... this one has none. Then we get t the service. I had something to drink on my arrival and a week later this same cup was still on the countert. On the Sunday at 4pm I had to call and ask reception if they did or did not service the rooms on Sundays as my bed had still not been made, to be informed yes they do and they will send someone. I had put a "Do not disturb" sign on the room door but had removed that and left by 930am. A basic thing like a toilet brush - which cost maybe $5.00 in each room really makes a difference to staff having to clean after guests.

A really disappointing experience for a hotel which is trying to lift its standards. It looks like a desperate attempt rather than a well done one.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
AbelTasman169, General Manager at Mercure Wellington Abel Tasman Hotel, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Thank you for your valuable feedback. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and helps us continue to improve our guests experience.

We have taken your feedback on board and we will do our best to improve on the points your brought to my attention.

Thanks again

Kind Regards
Wanganui
Reviewed 23 May 2014

Thanks to all the staff and management for a fantastic stay at the "TAS" once again. The Abel Tasman is a hotel where you feel very welcome. Great friendly staff. A home away from home.Central to CBD. Shopping close by

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
AbelTasman169, General Manager at Mercure Wellington Abel Tasman Hotel, responded to this review, 3 June 2014
We are delighted that you had another great stay at the Abel Tasman.

I am also very pleased to hear you feel at home when you stay at the Abel Tasman and that you find all the staff friendly. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with valuable feedback.

Your comments will be passed onto the team.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best wishes
Rangiora, New Zealand
Reviewed 27 April 2014

From the 25 minutes it took to check in, to our tiny room, to the 20 minutes it took to check out I wished we had booked somewhere else!
Looking around while waiting, and waiting, to check in we noticed the 'artwork' was identical to the cheap stuff my daughter had brought some years ago from local homewares shop Acquisitions to decorate her student flat! It didn't bode well for 'quality fittings' in the room...
The first night was okay and we headed away for the day the next morning. And then it began... Our room had a flood from a faucet being left on and clothing left in the sink: I had put a blouse into soak at around 9am after a spill at breakfast, and we left the room at 9.30am. At some stage after that housekeeping had come into our room - I can only guess they must have knocked the tap on when cleaning...
Anyway we got back that evening to a furious manager - we were told we would have to move rooms and that we would have have to pay for the cost of a new room for ourselves and for the occupant below where water had leaked, and for maintenance/cleaning costs... Even when we established that we weren't the last ones in the room we were not offered an apology - even though we were the ones affected! He just said that he would include that information in his report!
We chose to stay in our room that night - it was only damp carpet outside the bathroom area, but the next morning got a call from reception saying that we had to move NOW as the carpets were being lifted and dried and the contractor was here to do it.
We packed our belongings and went down. After waiting 10 minutes (they only ever have one staff member on reception), the [new] manager made some calls to housekeeping about availability and very reluctantly moved us to a new 'family' sized room. Still no apology.... We went from the smallest room and tiniest double bed (very glad we aren't a 'big' couple!), to a large, but very dated room. The super kingsized bed turned out to be two singles pushed together - and still had an uncomfortable gap... The fridge came from the Ark - and sounded like a traction engine... After unplugging it to sleep that night we realized the extractor fan in the bathroom stayed on all the time.... Even with the door shut the humm was really annoying - but it didnt matter as there was an exhaust or intake right outside the window which made even more noise!
Three of the worst nights of my life!

Room Tip: I only saw two rooms - and neither were good.... Staff are not friendly or helpful.
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Na0miNZ

Travellers are raving about these Wellington hotels

Reviewed 13 April 2014

Staying at the Abel Tasman Hotel was excellent, the friendly staff are helpful with anything you need, and the accomodation was comfortable and warm from the bitter Wellington southerly, thank you for a great stay :)

• Stayed April 2014
AbelTasman169, General Manager at Mercure Wellington Abel Tasman Hotel, responded to this review, 13 May 2014

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and our hospitality

Thanks again

Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 11 April 2014

Stayed for 3 nights at the end of March.Have stayed at this hotel before and was ok. For that reason booked it again. This time,not good. First night both me and my daughter were bitten by fleas.
Told reception next morning who were very apologetic and offered an alternative room straight away. Noticed before getting into bed the following night that my red quilted bed cover had a crusty stain on it. Asked for the manager to come and see. She arrived promptly and, again very apologetic, took a photo and said she would take the matter further.I told her that I could tell the white sheets were clean but how was such a obvious stain missed.She told me that the top covers were changed every 2nd guest. 10 out of 10 for honesty.She then asked me if I wanted it removed, Of course I did. Guests do not want to share bedding with other guests. Cut costs elsewhere.
Was told to take free breakfasts as part of good will. Did so on final morning before checking out. Manager was on reception and she wanted to charge me $8.50 for beverages taken during breakfast. Downhill from there.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Sandra K
AbelTasman169, General Manager at Mercure Wellington Abel Tasman Hotel, responded to this review, 9 May 2014

Thank you for allowing me to personally contact you and discuss your comments with you. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your first stay with us and decided to return. As discussed I apologise that your second stay did not meet your expectation.
We can confirm your room has been inspected by contracted professionals and the room is clear of fleas, however we do acknowledge and sympathise for your uncomfortable sleep.
We are pleased our reception staff were quick to respond to your issue. I have personally followed up why there was an issue with your top cover and have addressed this issue with the
housekeeping team. I sincerely apologise that unlike your first stay we did not meet our high standards. We take pride in our standards and I can assure you we do not try to save money on linen and spend extra money triple sheeting our beds to ensure the highest standard.

Your complimentary breakfast was offered as goodwill and yes your coffees should have been included, this was miscommunicated between the front desk and the restaurant. Our apologies for the problems encountered and we hope the rest of your stay in Wellington was a pleasant one. I have also followed up your comments with the relevant team members to ensure they are trained better in the future.

Thank you again for your valuable feedback and opportunity to discuss your feedback personally with you.

Kind Regards
Whanganui, New Zealand
Reviewed 16 March 2014

We stayed 1 night in the standard family room. Beds were comfortable, staff were very friendly, room was in clean and tidy condition, reasonable price for a family of 4. Overall all our experience was great I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed March 2014
AbelTasman169, General Manager at Mercure Wellington Abel Tasman Hotel, responded to this review, 14 April 2014
Thank you for providing this positive feedback. The Abel Tasman is a family friendly hotel and we are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us. Hope to see you again sometime !

Kind regards,