“Very Dissapointed”

Mercure Wellington Abel Tasman Hotel
Ranked #27 of 47 Hotels in Wellington
Reviewed 5 June 2014

This was a very disappointing hotel. the website is not true to the pictures of the rooms you will get. we didn't get at all what we had wanted and asked for. the room was very cold and had mould around the windows behind the curtains and wasn't very clean at all.
I would NOT recommend this hotel at all especially if you have children like we did.
if we hadn't have got into wellington so late we would have found somewhere else!
it was absolutely horrible!

Room Tip: do not stay here!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank MILZY2014
AbelTasman169, General Manager at Mercure Wellington Abel Tasman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2014

I am sorry to hear that you found the room to be cold. I will ensure the heating in this room is looked into to ensure it is working effectively.
I have personally addressed the window issue with our Housekeeping team. Thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Reviewed 4 June 2014

A conveniently located hotel in willis street in he heart of the city. An average hotel but priced accordingly. Stayed overnight on business. Room was clean, tidy and fresh. Bed was comfy. I had a drink at the downstairs bar and found an average selection of wines and beer however was a bit over priced. The staff were helpful and friendly.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are delighted you found the staff to be helpful and friendly. I have noted your comments regarding the selection of beer and wines. I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

I hope we have the opportunity to welcome you back again soon

Reviewed 29 May 2014

Abel Tasman is a good average hotel, close to everything, comfortable and I've stayed there many times and will again, and pretty quiet even though not double glazed and room on busy Willis Street. Room was clean, bed was large, comfortable. Bathroom area could have done with some updating and maintenance e.g. tile missing. Lightbulb needed replacing - left note and nothing done. A bit chaotic in the restaurant, whether this was new staff not sure but people weren;t communicating. First breakfast able to order off alacarte menu even thought it was busy. Coffee didn't come until after breakfast had been cooked and eaten (and others experienced this too). Second morning couldn't order alacarte even though few people in, because apparently there were more coming. So rather strange.

Room Tip: Away from Willis Street
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Thank you for your valuable feedback. We are delighted to hear you stayed on several occasions and will continue to stay.

We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Best wishes

Reviewed 26 May 2014

Well to start I booked a room with one Queen bed....I think it was the Queen superior. On arrival the room had a queen bed and a single. I called down to reception and said I was in the wrong room to be told that was not the case as all Queen superiors now had an extra bed for clients comfort. Please explain how this adds comfort when the queen has now been pushed further across the room not allowing you to be able to open the wall cupboard.
Last time I was in NZ I went to look at the hotel and was shown the new "re-vamped" rooms which looked really nice, hence why I booked to stay here this trip. I must say I was very disappointed as you have just not managed to get the the same level as your competition even with the re-vamp. The following are little things that really bring down the standard. The TV volume on the one channel cannot be made loud enough to hear so one has to sit on the end of the bed to hear the program. When asking reception to look into this they told me there is anything they can do. The lighting in the room is shocking..... as far too dull. As mentioned earlier the wall cupboard is now not accessible due to the queen being pushed across to accommodate the single bed. Most people booking a queen are not expecting to have someone else sleep in their room, so DON"T need the single bed. Rather give the option.... do you want the queen or the queen with a single.
I don't know if anyone from the hotel has actually slept n the new re-vamped room, as if they have they will see the room is not at all dark as the curtains are of such thin fabric they allow the light in as the sun rises. A hotel of this calibre should not have this situation. A simple thing like a full length mirror is a standard issue in hotel rooms today....... this one has none. Then we get t the service. I had something to drink on my arrival and a week later this same cup was still on the countert. On the Sunday at 4pm I had to call and ask reception if they did or did not service the rooms on Sundays as my bed had still not been made, to be informed yes they do and they will send someone. I had put a "Do not disturb" sign on the room door but had removed that and left by 930am. A basic thing like a toilet brush - which cost maybe $5.00 in each room really makes a difference to staff having to clean after guests.

A really disappointing experience for a hotel which is trying to lift its standards. It looks like a desperate attempt rather than a well done one.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
AbelTasman169, General Manager at Mercure Wellington Abel Tasman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2014

Thank you for your valuable feedback. Your feedback is greatly appreciated and helps us continue to improve our guests experience.

We have taken your feedback on board and we will do our best to improve on the points your brought to my attention.

Thanks again

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Thanks to all the staff and management for a fantastic stay at the "TAS" once again. The Abel Tasman is a hotel where you feel very welcome. Great friendly staff. A home away from home.Central to CBD. Shopping close by

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
AbelTasman169, General Manager at Mercure Wellington Abel Tasman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

We are delighted that you had another great stay at the Abel Tasman.

I am also very pleased to hear you feel at home when you stay at the Abel Tasman and that you find all the staff friendly. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with valuable feedback.

Your comments will be passed onto the team.

We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Best wishes

Reviewed 27 April 2014

From the 25 minutes it took to check in, to our tiny room, to the 20 minutes it took to check out I wished we had booked somewhere else!
Looking around while waiting, and waiting, to check in we noticed the 'artwork' was identical to the cheap stuff my daughter had brought some years ago from local homewares shop Acquisitions to decorate her student flat! It didn't bode well for 'quality fittings' in the room...
The first night was okay and we headed away for the day the next morning. And then it began... Our room had a flood from a faucet being left on and clothing left in the sink: I had put a blouse into soak at around 9am after a spill at breakfast, and we left the room at 9.30am. At some stage after that housekeeping had come into our room - I can only guess they must have knocked the tap on when cleaning...
Anyway we got back that evening to a furious manager - we were told we would have to move rooms and that we would have have to pay for the cost of a new room for ourselves and for the occupant below where water had leaked, and for maintenance/cleaning costs... Even when we established that we weren't the last ones in the room we were not offered an apology - even though we were the ones affected! He just said that he would include that information in his report!
We chose to stay in our room that night - it was only damp carpet outside the bathroom area, but the next morning got a call from reception saying that we had to move NOW as the carpets were being lifted and dried and the contractor was here to do it.
We packed our belongings and went down. After waiting 10 minutes (they only ever have one staff member on reception), the [new] manager made some calls to housekeeping about availability and very reluctantly moved us to a new 'family' sized room. Still no apology.... We went from the smallest room and tiniest double bed (very glad we aren't a 'big' couple!), to a large, but very dated room. The super kingsized bed turned out to be two singles pushed together - and still had an uncomfortable gap... The fridge came from the Ark - and sounded like a traction engine... After unplugging it to sleep that night we realized the extractor fan in the bathroom stayed on all the time.... Even with the door shut the humm was really annoying - but it didnt matter as there was an exhaust or intake right outside the window which made even more noise!
Three of the worst nights of my life!

Room Tip: I only saw two rooms - and neither were good.... Staff are not friendly or helpful.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Na0miNZ
Reviewed 13 April 2014

Staying at the Abel Tasman Hotel was excellent, the friendly staff are helpful with anything you need, and the accomodation was comfortable and warm from the bitter Wellington southerly, thank you for a great stay :)

• Stayed: April 2014
AbelTasman169, General Manager at Mercure Wellington Abel Tasman Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 May 2014

We are delighted you enjoyed your stay and our hospitality

Thanks again