“Great value, awesome staff”
Review of Trinity Hotel

Trinity Hotel
Ranked #30 of 46 Hotels in Wellington
Wellington, New Zealand
“Great value, awesome staff”
Reviewed 1 September 2013

We booked to stay here for one night - we were going to a party in town and didn't want to trek home to Titahi Bay. The room was small, but quite nice. Very clean and modern. The bathroom was small, but we made it work!

Staff were very friendly & helpful and the whole hotel was well presented.

Breakfast was really good - and was served quite quickly. We also had a couple of drinks in the bar before heading out and the bartender (Dylan I think) was lovely and chatty.

My one issue was the noise from the street. I had requested a back room upon booking after reading reviews, not sure what happened with that as we were directly above the street.

We got our deal through the Entertainment book - $98 for a king room, 2 cooked breakfasts, $20 bar tab and a 12pm check out. Not sure what the normal price is, but I would probably stay here again.

Quick tip - if you are taking a car, book a carpark ASAP - they are very limited!

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the back - Willis St can get quite noisy!
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
Hamilton, Waikato, New Zealand
Reviewed 15 August 2013 via mobile

The staff on check in were friendly and helpful. Were had free Wi-Fi included in our package which was nice. There is a bar and restaurant down stairs which is OK. The room was tiny bit we were only staying one night so not a biggie. But the street noise despite being 4 stores above the street you can hear ever single word spoken by the passes buy, ever car drive past and it's on a busy street. Don't count on relaxing watching TV here either no access To TV 1, tv4 there is a sport , movie channel but not having access to the main local channels is a annoyance. Make sure you book parking if you need it there is very limited space available.

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank Hamish R
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Stayed at the Trinity last week for a couple of nights.
The hotel is definitely not fancy but is comfortable and at the price, you would find it hard to beat.
On the first night I was in a room on the first floor overlooking the corner of Willis St. Unfortunately the windows weren't able to be closed tightly so suffered through road noise into the night and again in the morning.

After requesting a quiet room on check-in (admittedly midnight) I'd been told that the hotel was full and the room supplied was the only available. I was told to check again in the morning and, true to their word, was moved to a room on the 6th floor overlooking a car park... nice and quiet.
Continental breakfast and 24 hours of Wi-Fi were included in our Expedia rate of about Aus $78 per night.
The hotel is just a short walk from Cuba Street, the Harbour, the Museum etc. and would happily stay there again.

Room Tip: Request a quiet room away from Willis Street.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 6 August 2013 via mobile

Being a Wellingtonian who lives just too far out of the city to enjoy a big night out I've stayed at the trinity hotel a couple of times. It definitely does the trick and is perfectly acceptable for a tidy place to crash.

You get what you pay for, and as long as you don't have any unrealistic expectations you won't be dissapointed. We've always had a blast and the cheap drink vouchers you can purchase on arrival are a nice touch.

• Stayed April 2013
Whangarei, New Zealand
Reviewed 5 August 2013

Arrived and the lift was broken, so had to carry our own bags up two flights of stairs with no assistance. We were given a room above the carpark so the noise of the door going up & down drove us insane, coupled with the street noise.

The walls seem to be paper thin as you can hear everything, and each time someone slammed a door in another unit, the walls moved & the bed shook.

Each day the room service was terrible - on the second day I approached a male staff member at the front desk who wasn't interested at all - even when I showed him the state of our room. He didn't apologise or anything - just said he would pass my comments on to room service. Each day things were missing, the room wasn't vacuumed and the bed was just pulled up and the bottom sheet not smoothed down at all. I asked for an extra blanket, then it was taken away the next day. When I asked for it back, it was left on the floor (it looked like it had been thrown there). Received a written apology over the bed incident with a $10 voucher to be redeemed at the restaurant. Restaurant staff each morning were cheerful but again, toast wasn't toasted on both sides, cutlery was constantly missing, etc etc. Because we had booked for a week, we just gave up since no-one seemed interested and the appalling service (or lack of it) didn't change. On the last evening our room was so bad on our return, I again went to reception but this time found a lovely Australian lady there who looked at our room and apologised profusely. Asked us if we wanted to change rooms but we declined as it was our last night. I have never seen so much inconsistency in my life and I have personally worked in hotels in the past.

This hotel was also meant to have been refurbished, but the wallpaper was peeling in the corridors and the carpet was splitting apart. Our room had a broken bulb in it and a broken cabinet.

We do NOT recommend this hotel, and would NEVER stay here again.

Room Tip: Get a room at the back OR don't go there at all!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Darlene L
trinity166, General Manager at Trinity Hotel, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Dear Darlene, thank you for taking time to write a review on your recent stay with us. Obviously,I'm disappointed to hear your negative feedback. It is unfortunate that the option to move rooms to the back or side of the hotel was not offered earlier. These rooms are totally quiet. Your comments around service/food both at the desk and in Eclipse do disturb me. I will be definitely investigating this further as this is a rare occurrence for us. I do appreciate you bringing this to my attention as I can rectify straight away why we have let ourselves down and not performed to our usual high standards. Trinity Hotel underwent a soft refurbishment 2009/2010 and we are currently in the planning stage for the second phase, including; TV's, carpets, wardrobes etc. As General Manager I make myself available 24/7 to tend to guests requests. Had I been notified at the start of your stay I would have done my best to resolve your issues immediately. My sincere apologies we did not meet your expectations in this instance.

Travellers are raving about these Wellington hotels

Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

We had a great stay. Central Wellington and we could take our cavalier spaniel with us. Staff were very friendly and helpful. Breakfast was very good. Thoroughly recommend Trinity Hotel. Room was quite small but fine for a couple. Would recommend getting a room at the back of the hotel as street noise can be quite loud over a weekend. Weekend breaks give you a free bottle of bubbles and breakfast.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Papakura, New Zealand
Reviewed 21 July 2013

This hotel was fantastic fou our couple getaway. It had everything we needed, in a perfect location. The room was impeccable, just what we were after. The room was priced very well. We got a lot what we paid for, including the free continental breakfast and wifi. The Eclipse Bar and Restaurant had a fantastic breakfast menu (unfortunately the only time we ate here!) and the room service was extremely quick, with great food and friendly service, even in the wee hours of the morning. Next time I am in Wellington I will be sure to stay here again. I have recommended the Trinity Hotel already to family and friends. Great!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple