“Blackboard Menu - Wow!”

Ranked #6 of 955 Restaurants in Wellington
Price range: US$4 - US$28
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Iconic Wellington restaurant, Boulcott Street Bistro opened its doors in 1991 and over the past 20+ years has welcomed visitors and locals alike with warm hospitality, fine food cooked with care, and a well chosen wine list, all served in a relaxed atmosphere.Boulcott Street Bistro follows a benevolent tradition , proudly serving its many loyal customers a combination of innovative, modern fare, classic bistro dishes, and great wines earning the reputation as a Wellington favourite. The kitchen sources the freshest seasonal produce available, and are always happy to accommodate dietary requirements and requests.The Heritage setting of the restaurant, also known as Plimmer House, is a delightful Wellington landmark. Plimmer house is named after John Plimmer, the notable Wellingtonian who was officially bestowed the title 'Father of Wellington'. The charming inner-city Gothic cottage was originally built as a wedding gift by a local groom for his bride to be in the late 1870s and came into the possession of the Plimmer family in 1911.Bookings can be made for lunch, but no need to book for dinner as it is casual dining. To help celebrate a special occasion we can organise flowers, champagne and a delicious house-baked chocolate cake. We have set menus for 10 or more if you are organising a function. Roast dinners, a traditional favourite, are available every Sunday evening from 6.00Pm with our "Roast & Red" special, and this includes a delicious homemade dessert and a glass of red.The private dining room seating 10 - 16 for lunch or dinner is also perfect for conferences or work functions with full catering services to suit your needs
Reviewed 8 July 2014

Lunch on Sunday for a special occasion with Aunty aged 70yrs who is a foodie and loves eating out. We were all impressed with the menu selection and service. 3 of us ordered differently and no complaints quite the opposite amazing food. I can not wait to go back. The value is exceptional $39 for 3 courses!!

Reviewed 4 July 2014 via mobile

Great little restaurant with a wine list to die for. We had weekend much 3 course set menu, very simple but totally delicious. The staff very nice and professional. Another experience that's mad me want to return to Wellington sooner than later.

Reviewed 3 July 2014

After reading all the raving reviews, we were very eager to try this place out.
This is an over-due review, so unfortunately I don't remember what we ordered, but then that's saying something.
I'm not saying the food wasn't great, but it was missing something special. To us it was a decent meal cooked with fresh ingredients - but then again, that's what most of the restaurants have on offer. The flavours were ok, but nothing special. The dishes weren't something one would go home dreaming of going back, and considering their raving reviews - we expected better.

2  Thank Cabnolen
Reviewed 19 June 2014

It's been a couple of years since we last dined here, but it was good to go back again. Rex was in the kitchen the night we were there, so the food and its presentation was excellent. WE both had the calamari starter, and then I had the beef short rib and my partner the fillet bearnaise, and we loved it. A shared dessert of profiteroles made for a great ending. The wine list is not huge but it has some very good options. The service couldn't be faulted but if I was to have a grizzle, it's that it can get very noisy if there are a couple of larger groups dining, and the "mood" was turned down so much I could barely see to read the menu and had to get a small torch out of my bag! But, I highly recommend this for those special occasions.

Reviewed 16 June 2014

I had the BEST bloody Mary. Lunch was delicious...I had a great Halloumi entree. Wish I had room for dessert!