“Best Malaysian in town” 5 of 5 bubbles

KK Malaysian Restaurant
Ranked #137 of 904 Restaurants in Wellington
Cuisines: Asian, Malaysian
Good for: Child-friendly, Cheap Eats
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, After-hours, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Wellington, New Zealand
“Best Malaysian in town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 November 2013

Almost a weekly tradition in our office to get KK. You can't beat a spicy hot chicken rendang. The amount of food you get for your money is awesome. Most of the time we do tend to get KK takeaway as their dine in is not to flash. If there was any room for improvement it would be to offer a larger dine in area. Besides that, great flavour and value for money.

• Visited November 2013

Wellington, Wellington, New Zealand
“People rave about this place but...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 October 2013

I beg to differ,

My partner and I came here for dinner a couple of nights ago. We got there at about 9pm and there were a few people eating.I've heard lots of great things about KK Malaysia but I've always stayed loyal to Satay Village. Tonight we thought we'd give KK a try. We got there and we were hardly greeted by the staff, they seemed a bit rude. You need to go up to the counter and pay for your food, something I hate doing.

I ordered the vegetarian Rojak (vegetable, noodles and peanut sauce) it was disgusting and it actually looked like slop. My partner ordered the beef rendang which was actually very nice (I would recommend this) and we shared roti which was also nice, very crispy.We had water which didn't taste very good, like many restaurants if they don't have filters. While we were eating the wait staff brought all their belongings out and out them on the table right next to us and sat down just to hurry us along.

Overall an average experience and I won't be coming back here again.If you want a place that has tasty food, service with a smile and is fairly consistent, go next door to Satay Village.

1 Thank Arihia M
Wellington, New Zealand
“Great food for low price, but make sure you make a reservation.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 October 2013

We eat here regularly, almost once a week. Usually have the Beef Rendang and the Kung Pao Chicken, both of which I can highly recommend. The mains plates are around $12 which is considered cheap(midpriced mains at other restaurants are at least $20 or more).

It is a small place that's very busy, which means you must book ahead(at least half an hour, sometimes more) I do wish they would move into a larger premises, cause I think they'd make more money.

We have been to other Malaysian restaurants, but this one beats them hands down for taste. They don't serve alcoholic drinks, so beware of that as well.

Berwick, Victoria, Australia
“Inexpensive and yummy”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 October 2013

We eat here every time we visit Wellington. Maybe it is not 100% authentic Malaysian, I wouldn't know, but we have always loved the meals and can't believe how cheap they are. We have never been disappointed. A great choice for a quick, inexpensive cafe meal.

New Plymouth, New Zealand
“Just Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 October 2013

OMG seriously guys…. on visiting Wellington I was told to try this place as it’s ‘Authentic’ Malaysian. The place resembled a greasy cafe inside, oops and no alcohol which we didn’t realise, we were left with just water for ages until we could get their attention for some soft drinks. Our starters came out one by one, as one of us would finish then someone elses starter would come out and so on, same with the mains. My husband ordered his meal ‘hot’…it was Mild to taste, the rice was nasty too, I left half of my main meal and walked out with 3 other friends still hungry…..a Great Disappointment :(