“Beach view and healthy food ! ”

Maranui Surf Lifesaving Cafe
Ranked #32 of 1,034 Restaurants in Wellington
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Beach side cafe offering delicious breakfast and lunch options. Also now open for Dinners Friday and Saturdays - serving tasty snacks, pizzas, Local craft beers & New Zealand wines. Family friendly with relaxed casual dining.
Reviewed 27 December 2017 via mobile

We was really surprised, firstly it's the best point of view on the sea and secondly the food is perfect ( meat and Vegan menu). An amazing moment !!! You absolutely have to eat or just have a drink in this place! Enjoy!

bronwynk57, Owner at Maranui Surf Lifesaving Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 17 January 2018

Hey thanks for the great review! Glad that you came along! Cheers

Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

We ate here with friends and the waitress was an excellent talker but that’s as good as it got.

Food order was taken and waitress said she would return for drinks, never to be seen again.

Food was well below average and the wait time was excessive given we were practically the only people in the restaurant.

We have eaten here many times before mainly for breakfast but we will not be returning.

The total bill was expensive given the quality of the food presented and lack of service.

1  Thank R8782IBkatieb
bronwynk57, Owner at Maranui Surf Lifesaving Cafe, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2018

Hey. Thanks for the feedback. Apologies that it sounds like your experience was well under expectation. We are always trying to improve and do keep striving to serve top food and service. Currently looking at reviewing our service to ensure mistakes/experiences like this don't happen again. If you wish to give us another shot, I would love to send you a voucher to try and make amends? Please email me at cafe@maranui.co.nz Thanks again.

Reviewed 26 December 2017 via mobile

Every time we come to Wellington, Maranui is top of our "to eat" list, and we haven't been disappointed yet. This time I got a selection of cabinet salads, all of which were outstanding, and we also tried a Snickers shake (my only criticism is that it's so thick it needs a bigger straw) and a caramel slice. I didn't have high hopes for the slice, as it was gluten free and gluten free things can be texturally a bit odd, but this was delicious.
There was a wait (50min for lunch from the kitchen with cabinet food being served straight away) but they were straight up about it, informing people how long it was before they sat down.

Hey thanks for the great review! Glad that you came along! Cheers

Reviewed 17 December 2017 via mobile

I've been to Maranui many times but recently I've been under impressed by the service and, worse still, the coffee. If you can't get a decent coffee there's not much point really. Oh and why oh why is there pesto on EVERYTHING!!

1  Thank flf_66

Hey sorry to hear that you have had an unsuccessful time as of late. Let us make amends ! Please email me and I can send you out some free coffee vouchers - hopefully we can make them better than the last ones? Cheers

Reviewed 13 December 2017

I ate here with a friend one evening 3 weeks ago during a trip to Wellington. I chose the seafood pizza my friend had the prosciutto one. At 2 in the morning I was suffering from vomiting and diarrhoea which went on for four hours. We phoned the cafe that morning to let them know that the pizza had caused food poisoning. ( It was the only food that we had not shared).
The manager's response was 'It is not our fault because we don't make the pizzas !!! ' I checked and indeed they have them delivered, hot from a pizza place in town by a delivery boy, they take them out of the cardboard boxes and put them on a plate and put that on your table. Well somewhere along that route mine got infected and I was spewing prawns all night because of it.
We reminded them that they were still responsible for the food they were serving and should check their staff were taking hygiene seriously.
Later the owner phoned back as we had asked him to do and he said.' What do you expect us to do, nobody else has complained ! ' Well I am complaining !
So if you want a good pizza in the evening and particularly if it is a seafood one I suggest you go to 'Busters Woodfired Pizza' down the road because that's where their pizzas come from in the first place, they are cheaper there and they are not being re-handled all the way to your plate. :-)

5  Thank Satokari

Hey thanks for the review. I have followed this up with the management and obviously with the owners of Busters Pizzas - which is where we source our pizzas from - and we are both genuinely upset that this was your experience. I would be happy to discuss with you again and hopefully we can offer a voucher or some sort of reimbursement to help make amends? Please email cafe@maranui.co.nz if you wish to discuss further. Thanks