“"Felt like I entered the wrong place..."”

Martin Bosley's Yacht Club Restaurant
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Brisbane, Australia
“"Felt like I entered the wrong place..."”
Reviewed 26 January 2014 via mobile

Our Wellingtonian friend who is a real foodie booked the restaurant for us, opportunity to be proud and showcase his country's food talents and beautiful harbour.
We walked in and I thought I was in the wrong place. Front of house were appalling, did not feel welcomed, no one smiled or showed much interest. Maitre'd was not welcoming, yawned behind the bar, floor staff were not professional or well presented for a restaurant of this calibre, didn't,t know the menu well and had trouble communicating in English. Lucky the food hit the mark. I wouldn't,t rush back, prefer Logan Brown. Disappointment!

Visited January 2014
1 Thank B S

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
“Excellence with a view”
Reviewed 10 December 2013

I thought I'd have a nice seafood lunch! And indeed it was far more than just good and nice. Martin Bosley's served one of the best seafood lunches I've ever had! It was superb.
The restaurant is not large, a mere 15 tables or so. Reception was friendly, forthright and efficient. Nice table with requisite linens, good settings etc., and a scenic view of Wellington's harbor.
Started off with a delicious oyster with garnish etc.
For my starter a fine Trio of Tartare. Beautiful white fish, delicately diced with avocado and coconut etc.; fresh as it comes salmon with hummus and jambon etc.; Nelson's scallops were truly superb. You know they're really sea-new when there's that fine sweetish aftertaste (not the 'cardboard' taste of many restaurants). Perhaps there was just a little bit to much of lemon, but that would be carping (to use an apt metaphor).
My main was the most gratifying grilled red snapper I think I've had in a very long time! with new potatoes, steamed spinach etc., etc. All beautifully served.
I had a good merlot for my wine, and finished with an honest espresso.
Nicely warmed bread to accompany the entire meal and new rolls brought when needed.
Compliments to the lady who was at once hostess and server.
It was a pleasure to have lunch here and I felt positively sybaritic!

• Visited December 2013
New York City, New York
“Disappointment: not good enough to go again”
Reviewed 8 December 2013

We are not Wellingtonians: we have long looked forward to going to this restaurant, and when the opportunity came to try for the first time, we made the booking for the fish and chip specialty on Sunday evening.

View: magnificent
One meager bread roll: plates whipped away before we could ask for another
Fish in batter: delicious
Chips: slightly undercooked - but worse, a mean offering
Glass of wine: offered as part of the fish and chip dinner formula, all three we tried were thin and acidic.
Desserts: Shamefully overpriced, tasteless, and, at half the price, would have been extremely ungenerous. When I read about the "crumbled" meringue, I did not expect to get a few "crumbs", sprinkled over a slice of pineapple with a dessert-spoonful of icecream.
Service: our waiter was excellent, attentive, graceful.
Music: oppressive, and clearly used as a tool to empty the restaurant. At 8.30 p.m. we were the second-to-last table to leave. The music volume increased, and the staff made the clean-up just a little too invasive.

Nothing would persuade me to go back, unless I read that changes had been instituted.

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank 810frances
Wellington, New Zealand
“Saturday Disappointment”
Reviewed 30 November 2013

My sister and her partner on a weekend away from ChCh shouted us to Saturday evening meal here which we thought was generous as we knew it was pricey. The bread rolls were like concrete and actually took some effort to prise apart - the waiter apologising and telling us they had no other bread that night. My beer battered fish was nice but the much expected chips which for some reason i thought would be special were just McDonalds type chips. My wife had the grilled fish which was under cooked and rubbery. They did take that fish off the price of the meal when we complained and did offer to cook another piece. At $20 a dessert I was hoping for some wow factor but all we got were tiny portions of relatively tasteless concoctions. The service was very attentive and they tried hard but with a restaurant virtually empty on a Saturday evening I felt that something wasn't going well at this restaurant and we were the suckers who were not up with the play.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank ManovStream
Auckland, New Zealand
“Good, not good vale for money”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

Enjoying a wonderful vista of Wellington Harbour, with rarely used outdoor seating, MB's enjoys a great location. It's hard to avoid the idea that it trades rather heavily on this. Our lunch was good but hard to justify in terms of price. $33 for (a very nice) fish and chips; $39 for a rather plain planxa-grilled gurnard with trimmings didn't seem to stack up that well. My partner was not convinced about the freshness of the fish, either. This delivery vs value equation, together with the suspicion that really fresh fish might be a bit hard to get in Wellington, would turn out to be a feature of the trip.

Martin's restaurant is definitely worth a visit, just don't expect too much and accept it might be a bit pricey.

• Visited November 2013